Driving on the right in Australia

I used to work with a Sweedish guy who told me about the day Sweeden change from RHD to LHD (sometime in the 60s I believe ).

Apparently they changed all the signs and road markings overnight, but there was still loads of accidents the next day.

A huge task in the 60s, humongous task to do today I reckon.

This is a load of crap IMO.

We have more cars to choose from than the USA. known fact. The reason we don't get those special, hybrid, electric ect cars here is because we need to pay out gov taxes for god knows what. 

Compare care prices from here and the UK... 

A high school level analysis. There is not shortage of rhd used vehicles - japan and the UK produce more in a month than our market could absorb in a year. RHD vehicles are not more expensive to produce - they are all designed by computer and built on the same assembly line.

The tiny benefits of making it easier to drive for visitors would by massively offset by the cost of converting roads. Every other reason given in the article is horseleftovers.

What we should be doing with the closure of the factories is allowing parallell imports and allowing regaitration of new LHD vehicles. And scrapping the LCT.

I don't think its feasible in our life times at least... Gonna stick with the good ole fashion "she'll be right mate"... if they want to open up the market to LHD cars, that is fine (and somewhat awesome) but we should not change the side we drive on. 

Since it isn't the 1 April, I think if you read the last paragraph the whole point of the article is evident:

......The end of the car industry can be viewed as a sign of decline for Australia. But, instead, if we see it as an opportunity, as an acknowledgment of our place in the world and our determination to make our way and reinvent ourselves, we might make things better rather than meekly accepting our fate.......

ie. Australians, stop being whiney victims, grow some balls and have a go!

PS: He must be pissing himself with laughter with all the indignation he has prompted, no doubt got paid for 500 or so words that he knocked together in 10 minutes - hell, there isn't even any Harvard style referencing he had to labour through!  Beats posting on forums.....

Archived