By my calculations, the only benefit in using this car for a hotrod will be for me .....

Why??

There will be 1 less original.Aussie delivered car available so mine will skyrocket in value .....

Which way should I lean? ....... leave it for originality sake or make money by having one destroyed .....

Isn't there a platinum metallic sc for sale on carsales with 300k showing and advertised at $49k? It's been there for about 9 months now.

The car reads well so I think the market is saying "too much"

If your car is a survivor I would think carefully before doing irreversible mods. I know it's 'only an SC' but that's what people said even four years ago 'it s only a 'T'.

I totally get wanting to wander off the reservation though. I say put it up for sale and see what happens. You'll either get an offer your happy with, or you won't. You can easily fend off time wasters by screening them on the phone. If someone is serious and has cash they won't mind a few qualifying questions.

My 2 cents

Keep what you have and add reversible modifications as you can afford it, yet still have the opportunity to drive it at your leisure.

In my current experience, if you have a set budget for a new car to modify, have an extra slush fund for parts you didnt think you needed to replace, and don't put a time limit on the build.

3 months ago, we were well ahead to finish the car during these holidays and ready for March trip the Philip Island. Circumstances out of my control will probably kill that idea now.

Hey, its your life and your money, do what makes you happy

I know its old school and you will get d!ckhe@ds but try eBay, you can put an unrealistic reserve on it

($150k) no one will reach it, but it might give you an idea on how much its worth. You can always contact the top bidder and negotiate (if they are genuine). Or just try and sell it with a genuine reserve, you never know.......

True. I don't have a lot of cash to throw around so I had in mind to sell mine and start with a left hook basket case. I should be able to use the same bucket of money to build what I want.

So, what do you recon it's worth at the moment?

i feel like that is false economy though- getting a basket case up to scratch and then modifying it could likely be a pretty hefty expense compared to starting with a clean car that you already know well.

Well I'd have to put the flares on and paint it again. :/

Biggest issue is cash flow. Not worried about the devil i know situation. I've owned and built a lot of cars over the years and have gotten reasonably good at spotting a dud.

I started cleaning up the last jobs last night. Will float it on the market in the next few weeks.

Well I'd have to put the flares on and paint it again. :/

Biggest issue is cash flow. Not worried about the devil i know situation. I've owned and built a lot of cars over the years and have gotten reasonably good at spotting a dud.

I started cleaning up the last jobs last night. Will float it on the market in the next few weeks.

ah i didn't read that you'd be doing hefty bodywork- in that case yeah i can see why starting with something a bit rough would be the way forward. GLWS!

• 2 weeks later...

I think too, if you get really good images of the car exposed correctly and showing how great it looks that will help get the buyers out to look at it and not run at the kilometres thing. As we know, some people will go OH GAWD too high and others will be realistic knowing at least your car is honest.  Get some great photos, good description and put that $47k on it I reckon.

And if you don't sell it - make this your hot rod. As someone else said, extend the relationship you have with this machine.

Good luck :)

Depends on the extent of the work planned..

End of the day, the base on any car needs to be half decent, else you will end up spending 10's of thousands just to bring it back to reasonable state before any modifications can take place.

I think you should RWB it.. lol.... only cause I want to see one in australia..

Some interesting thoughts on the SC and values of original unmolested examples in this thread on Pelican

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/851655-911-super-carrera-next-big-thing.html

Food for thought before you decide whether modifying this one is the way to go.

Cheers Al

• 3 weeks later...

Archived