Thinking of selling my '82 911SC 3.0L so I can build a hot rod.  Any idea on value in today's market?  

Aus delivered guards red, 100% original options fitted including sunroof, berber interior, no fog lights, whale tail, 16in Fuchs and rear wiper.  I've had some panels repainted due to scuffs and have receipts back to the early 90's.

Since buying it I have done sunroof cables and seals, new roof lining, clutch, rocker cover gaskets, and the usual oil leak bits.  Currently has no drips under it.

Currently has 405,000 on the clock which no doubt will hurt it, but other than having the air conditioning and air pump brackets removed it all works.

Thoughts?

DSC_0180_zpsegqzdzv7.jpg

DSC_0179_zpslil9dlwt.jpg

Why not hot-rodding this car?

I agree. Why not?

With that many kms regardless of how good you know it is people will be reluctant.

What sort of plans did you have for a hot rod?

Back date? Iroc? Something else?

True. I don't have a lot of cash to throw around so I had in mind to sell mine and start with a left hook basket case. I should be able to use the same bucket of money to build what I want.

So, what do you recon it's worth at the moment?

What is this talk? Is this the longest you've owned a car for? lol

I don't really think km's matter when someone comes to look at this car, having seen it personally it's a fine example and has the body/interior/performance of a car with half the km's

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to ask $45-$50k and wait and see, you can always come down (but not go back up)

I feel it is too original to hot rod. If it is not that valuable due to kilometres or something then yes, I will.

Save an original! Buy it before I modify it! LOL

I agree with you about modding it .... yes, I am one for saving it ....

As there were only 56 Coupes delivered here in '82, it would be a shame to lose another one .....

You shouldn't have too much trouble selling it even with the k's ..... although the value will be affected somewhat .....

I would think high $30's as long as the rest of the car is as it should be ..... not mint but as a 30 y/o car should be .....

There are a couple of sc getting around on car sales for mid to high $40k at the minute. They have lower kms. Like I said no matter how good it is people will be reluctant with that many kms.

I guess you need to do the sums to work out what you need to sell it for to complete the hot rod. Then work from there.

Start with a left hook basket case.

Starting with a basket case could get very expensive, very quickly

Given budget constraints, if it were mine I'd keep the one you have now and give it a refresh: new brakes, new suspension, top end rebuild (if required), cams, SSIs & Monty, ditch the tea tray and maybe strip the interior and install racing seats and wheel. Hold onto the old interior in case you even want to put it back to stock

But to answer the question ~$35-40k

I would say Russ was spot on with his pricing of 45k to 50k. I was looking at SC's earlier this year in that price range. Although I would say 50k would be dealer pricing, but depending on how good it is and if you find the right buyer. 

Those amount of KM's won't effect the price at all, originality will.

I'm in too minds on whether you should sell or modify. Your modifications aren't too extreme and you're not really back dating or updating it (god forbid throwing a 993 body kit on). If Dreamr's numbers are correct about the delivery numbers then I guess it would be a shame to modify it.

I remember when your car was advertised a while back, there are not many cars around with Berber trim,

Here is my general guide on pricing with my opinion formed on being a person who watches the market very very closely

50k bracket is your top tier Aussie SC coupe, desirable colour combo, completely original and pristine interior no spend mechanically..in short a perfect car (note the white coupe recently sold by AH)

40k bracket you have your loved Aussie daily driver coupe, in sensible colour combos with no silly mods (eg c2 body kits) these cars may need spend and prices are adjusted through potential spend identified on PPI (note the red coupe sold by RSR and brown coupe recently)

30k buys you a clean Import or a rougher Aussie car that needs quite a bit of spend, not so fresh interior etc..

Of course this is my opinion only and a broad generalization, there are lots of other factors that weigh Into price and whilst we all may benefit from rising prices it is important to be level headed and remember that top cars will always pull premium dollar and then prices fall away pretty steeply from there for tired cars or cars with no provenance...

You can always spend $90 on Carsales or Gumtee for less and test the market….. might even somebody out there with a half finished/not started 911 project that is over it and wants a running car. You could get cash and the base for your hot rod….. you never know until you try.

As for the KM's, I would reckon the majority of SC's (Aussie ones at lease) would be getting up there after 32-37 years I'm up to 290K

Value? you know what you would pay for it….. $45K asking price would not look silly IMO 

Good luck whatever you end up doing, the sale of you car and then building of your hot rod will keep us all entertained for sure.

I would have thought you'd also value your time.  Plus the costs of selling and buying again.  Whatever your hourly rate is to prep it to sell, advertise and then sell it. Plus add on all the faffing with NSW government for rego, stamp duty etc. The tooling around with insurers etc etc.

Plus...you know this car.  Getting another one re-opens some of the risks you've just mitigated by fixing this one up.  I also remember that this car wasn't that expensive because you went off to bumf**k, nowhere to buy it.  By my mind, you already have a cheap foundation for a hot-rod.

I reckon use this car - take the 'relationship' to the next level...

Archived