TCU Snapshot-Dodgy Insurance Claim

twood

This was sent to me. It is about downloading data from your car after an accident.

I think my car is pre all this Big Brother Stuff but it could be interesting to others. If when doing something like a track day and having an accident and trying to claim on insurance it could prove a problem-not that any of us would do something like that.

TCU%20Document_zpscgudqllv.png

why would an HSV register a speed in MPH?

(I know Holden "exports" the SS, but it's not an HSV and i assume they have different ECU's - and it'd make sense to have it in KM/H being in Australia...)

good story though

It would be easy to check if the driver was txting or fiddling with mp3 player just before a crash...That is useful to know.

They used to pull the cassette or cd to see if you were playing Highway To Hell or other "crash inducing" songs.

why would an HSV register a speed in MPH?

(I know Holden "exports" the SS, but it's not an HSV and i assume they have different ECU's - and it'd make sense to have it in KM/H being in Australia...)

good story though

My guess would be standard GM part.

Never mind big brother how about social media!

True story but only basics:

So this guys in a panel shop and sees this really expensive car getting a major repair, just happens to mention to the owner he saw the car get damaged as he was at the same track day. Are you sure asks the panel shop owner because insurance would not normally cover for that, Oh yes its on Youtube.

Insurer investigates, owner get done for fraud and ends up with a $70K repair bill.

Never mind big brother how about social media!

True story but only basics:

So this guys in a panel shop and sees this really expensive car getting a major repair, just happens to mention to the owner he saw the car get damaged as he was at the same track day. Are you sure asks the panel shop owner because insurance would not normally cover for that, Oh yes its on Youtube.

Insurer investigates, owner get done for fraud and ends up with a $70K repair bill.

Why would the panel shop owner tell the insurance co? Presumably the panel shop didn't get the repair?

I would have fixed the car and kept my mouth shut and collected the cash.

I get that.  I guess it depends on who you consider the customer - the guy with the car or the insurance company.

Generally an insurance company will spend around $1-$1.5million dollars a year with one of their network repairers, i think the repairer knows who the customer is.

A person knowing someone has committed fraud and does nothing about it, what does that make that person?

Regardless of what form it takes, insurance fraud is something we all pay for. I'm not preaching this is just the reality of what contributes to premiums going up, and making a claim more onerous. 

What if YOU were speeding at the time of an accident and can get away with it?

What about illegal size wheels or suspension and can get away with it?

What about if YOU were distracted by the music box or phone?

What about.....?

Would YOU.....?

Rhetorical questions

Yeah I'm stepping out of this one.  Caledonian makes good points about the realities of business for a repairer.  I would still find it hard to go into bat for an insurance company.

Anyway, moral of the story is don't video your track days with your road registered cars, and especially don't upload them to youtube.

It's a Bosch thing.  CDR technology - Crash Data Retrieval.  It can retrieve data from as far back as 1994 on GM cars in the NA market.  They rolled it out to GM Australian market vehicles (Holden) in MY2007, including HSV variants. Toyota brought it in for 2003 models in Australia.  Chrysler have had it worldwide since MY2006.  Ford only have it in ther North American market.

Yeah I'm stepping out of this one.  Caledonian makes good points about the realities of business for a repairer.  I would still find it hard to go into bat for an insurance company.

Anyway, moral of the story is don't video your track days with your road registered cars, and especially don't upload them to youtube.

Yes that is the point and moral i suppose " Don't put anything in writing that you are not willing to have read out in a court of law" can't recall who originally said this, Oscar Wilde i think? anyway the updated version should include,Facebook, Youtube,selfies, GoPro,online Forums etc.

Archived