Cheap Cayennes

AC78

Nice, looks like my twin (other than mine having the updated lights and engine). Same wheels too, assuming they're 20s.

Where do you service yours Uncle? I took mine to AutoWerks on the Central Coast as it's only a few minutes from me, but interested if there are other options around. Mine needs a major service next (with brakes) so I want to be confident about where it's going.

I'm going to start a thread on wheels - start getting some technical stuff in here.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good mate owns Newcastle All Wheel Drive Dyno. Whilst he is not Porsche guy as such he is about the only other person local to me I trust with my cars. Autowerks is about the only other option.  

Nathan my mate has been a mech for 30 odd years and works on a lot of race cars including open wheelers etc. He whilst being a little grumpy at times is as honest as the day is long and just tells is like it is.

I think I remember reading these were knock offs boxer? How did you go with the tyre pressure sensors?

Uncle that looks mint. Take it from me black is a PITA, no matter how careful you are it will swirl up each time you wash it. Looks the business when clean however.

Sorry missed this earlier - yep knock offs (the Genuine ones are 21's, mine were 22's - cheaper tyres in that size)  I thought they were heavy when I collected them, but then found they were only 2kg heavier than the factory ones (incl tyres).

Never had an issue with Tyre pressure monitoring as mine did not have that option fitted ;)

Sorry missed this earlier - yep knock offs (the Genuine ones are 21's, mine were 22's - cheaper tyres in that size)  I thought they were heavy when I collected them, but then found they were only 2kg heavier than the factory ones (incl tyres).

Never had an issue with Tyre pressure monitoring as mine did not have that option fitted ;)

Yeah I went through the same dilemma regarding the 21s, I like the look of the 21s best but difficult to get tyres without paying through the nose as you said. I didnt realise tyre pressure monitoring was an option - I need to check the codes in my service book to work out what mine actually has.

I love the way the sport button brings the throttle and gearbox to life on these cars. I've never owned a car with any sort of electronic trickery before so its a nice surprise.

We have racked up about 1,000klms now and I'm still happy with it. Only problem is now I've sorted out the change to NSW rego I'll have to give it back to her. Hmm maybe I need another for me to use?

^^^ good excuse for a turbo!

Getting wheel alignment done on ours tomorrow, noticed the old tyres were all worn down to bald on the outer shoulder, so quite uneven wear. Google tells me its a common issue, not sure if any of you who've owned them for a while can comment on this?

^^^ good excuse for a turbo!

Getting wheel alignment done on ours tomorrow, noticed the old tyres were all worn down to bald on the outer shoulder, so quite uneven wear. Google tells me its a common issue, not sure if any of you who've owned them for a while can comment on this?

Uncle with a turbo cayenne....look out!  I can see where this would end up going...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So just a little update on this. The wife and I did a dash to the snow last weekend. The old bus ate up the klm’s with ease and had no drama at all and was just generally a nice place to be. We saw some -10c temps on the Sunday that had more than a few cars in trouble. Some of them would of been less then 2 years old. 

I’m so impressed with the ease this thing goes about things I really do want one for myself. We have clicked over about 15,000klm’s so far and it’s been great. 

6am icy roads ahoy! 

11698569_1045164248835139_49017411539678

Too cold for no pants outside the car.

11695918_1045594198792144_46060286365830

Parked up at Perisher before getting a snow cat over to Charlottes Pass to catch up with some Family and put a couple of turns in on the mountain. The only “hobby” I like more than cars is Skiing. I just can’t get enough of it. I’d picked up some new Nordica Boots and Ski’s so it was a get time to give them a run.

11751790_10154138788149062_3583687915874

Nice one mate, they are great tourers indeed. Ze Germans built them well. We drove ours over to Melb for the June long weekend and had a great trip. How many clicks are you getting to a tank? The V6 is thirsty around town, never get more than about 520kms but managed 750kms on the open road which I was pleased with.

What does 520 kms tank mean in litres/100?  I'd like to build the case for one but I think I would tire of feeding it and tyre-ing it.  They are a screaming deal used for what was a very premium priced product new.

Mine currently indicates an average of about 13l/100 over the last 15,000km.

Highway is down around 10.5l/100. My 15 minute run to and from work is around 13-14l/100, depending on traffic. It's not fun watching the fuel efficiency climb up toward 22-23l/100, but I'm generally only in bad traffic for 10 minutes or so. This is from the 4.8L V8.

Tyres seem to be as expensive as you want them to be. I currently have a set of 20s that I believe the previous owner picked up for around $250 each. They're not very good, but they've done 15,000km so far (including a lot of dirt and high-speed gravel) and they're still ok. A tyre shop recently quoted me $750 a corner for the "OEM" tyre. No thanks.

My next service will include front brakes, so I might be less cheerful about it after that one...

We see around 14.2 mixed on a constant basis. 13.2’s hwy cycle were it spends most of it’s time. My wife’s 80klm round trip commute is 99.9% 110 zone and maybe 3klms 80 zone with 2 sets of lights.

This car was a suck it and see if we like it kind of deal. Now we are really happy with the big bus I’d say we will sell it for a newer low klm jobbie. 

What does 520 kms tank mean in litres/100?  I'd like to build the case for one but I think I would tire of feeding it and tyre-ing it.  They are a screaming deal used for what was a very premium priced product new.

my calcs tell me it's about 16L/100 kms (tank is 90L but I guesstimate there is usually about 5L left in it when we fill up). This is city driving in Adelaide which doesn't have many freeways so it's a lot of stop start. One thing I have noticed about the gearbox is it seems to hold gears for quite a long time when on any sort of ascent, even if it's a mild ascent. It's a bit annoying and definitely doesn't help economy but you could always flick the button on the steering wheel to up shift it. 

Great cars, been saying it all alongh and I thought my diesel was awesome - good tow rig too.  Unfortunately couldn't afford a new model at the end of my lease, but kept it in the family with an A6 Allroad with the same diesel donk.  Goes even better

And just this week have purchased a Touareg with the same engine for the missus.  As far as she can tell its just like the Cayenne (dynamically not quite the same, but build and practicality etc very similar)

I am in the process of trying to find and buy one - probably up to about an 06 model V8.

There are a few about with varying km, what would people say is a good km range for a used one?

Trying to keep km as low as possible, but many up to 200000km now...

Thanks

We just picked up a '10 diesel for client pickups from hotels etc.  Drove it home from Melbourne and within a couple of hours I was very impressed.  It's probably the best mile eater I've ever owned.  I wanted to hate it but just couldn't - it's too good at what it does.  Will be doing a father & son trip to the snow in a couple of weeks and very tempted to take it down (much quieter ride than our Deafen der).

• 1 month later...

Archived