turbo - not so special

turboT

For those of you with naturally aspirated engines you won't understand this (probably 90% of PFA). Or for those of you who need a big wing, a harness and a role cage you might as well stop reading.

But for those of us with a turbo we have always felt a bit special. For Porsche the turbo was always supposed to be at the top of the range, and we paid through the nose for this stature.Purists probably like things a bit more lightweight, but the power, speed and comfort offered by this stealthy beast is something all should try and experience once in their lives, and for the few of us that can call this car a 'daily drive' we are privileged, honored, and lets be honest, just a little bit superior.

Well all that is going to change. Turbo's are not longer going to be special. They are just going to be, well.....every Porsche.

I am still the proud owner of the first (930) and one of the last (997) turbos, and if I had the garage space and the cash I would happily collect everything in between, but the thought of the words 'turbo' being associated with basically the whole range, well, takes the shine off really.Turbo will no longer be special.

Shame

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-boxster-and-cayman-more-details-emerge-on-turbocharged-future/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purists probably like things a bit more lightweight, but the power, speed and comfort offered by this stealthy beast is something all should try and experience once in their lives, and for the few of us that can call this car a 'daily drive' we are privileged, honored, and lets be honest, just a little bit superior.

I agree that everyone should experience and try one once in their lives .....

Any time you want to let me behind the wheel, I'm ready, willing and able to join that club .....  :D 

BTW .... I hope that you don't feel so superior that your turbo can't be seen on an SMT with the N/A aircooled ones ....

Yeah the new ones won't have that "Put your foot down and the pedal sends a telegraph to the engine" sort of response and where is the fun in that!cheers

wow makes me glad I didn't get a 964 turbo then, if that's how they drive. mines quick off the mark but then it explodes into hyperspace on boost. No telegraph involved at all but then I also have to put up with that annoying perfect 50/50 balance too ;P

SMT Dreamr?

Yr welcome to a drive anytime

A SMT is a "Sunday Morning Targa" where we organise a group of us to go for a run together .... we have many of them throughout the year and often we will go for a small run afterwards or even beforehand if we go to a show together, as we did 2 weekends ago at the Newcastle All German Day.

Keep an eye out on the main page as we would love to have you along ....

Now .... regarding this drive.

I should tell you that I'm 22 years old and have just got my licence back after 6 months for dangerous driving .... I don't feel that it was my fault as the corner I was taking was a bit sharper than I thought and the speed limit signage was terrible .... I will make sure that I go a bit slower in your car though ... :ph34r:

When you get your new ride, let us know and we will organise a Wisemans Ferry run .... great roads, ferry ride, nice lunch and usually great company ..... :lol:

Now .... regarding this drive.

I should tell you that I'm 22 years old and have just got my licence back after 6 months for dangerous driving .... I don't feel that it was my fault as the corner I was taking was a bit sharper than I thought and the speed limit signage was terrible .... I will make sure that I go a bit slower in your car though ... :ph34r:

When you get your new ride, let us know and we will organise a Wisemans Ferry run .... great roads, ferry ride, nice lunch and usually great company ..... :lol:

Bring two pair of jocks, as well as two shirts Dreamr

Modern turbo cars feel like turbo diesels. Blah. If there is no mid-range-here-it-comes boost urge it's not worth it.

Put me down for a 930 any day of the week. I bet when they screwed together those homologation models in 75 nobody dreamed that in 40 years you wouldn't be able to buy a non-turbo Porsche.

This whole saga is beginning to sound like the introduction of impact bumpers. "No, seriously, they are better and given good crash protection. Rumours that they add weight and spoil the lines of the car are from people stuck in the past"

Hang onto those NA 6 speed 997s peoples. The vainglorious shiny bums of the world hoovering up your taxes say you can't have them any more.

Archived