turbo - not so special

turboT

Sounds like a great idea to me. More power, more potential power for those that like to hot rod, better emissions, smaller capacity engine.

Nothing "gullible" about that, just a responsible company responding to a new era.

Win Win Win for all :)

The only people I ever hear complain about the cornering of the old turbo's are people that don't know how to drive.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only people I ever hear complain about the cornering of the old turbo's are people that don't know how to drive.

Maybe , but Tony Dron used the word ":menace"

dron930.jpg

He also stated that the same driver on a B road would be quicker in a NA would be quicker than in a 930 (not sure if he meant 76-77 MYs) where you can only drive at 7/10 . cf on the track.

Targa Tas it's NAs all the way , though my neighbour won his class once in his 400hp beast; said it was a bit hairy in the wet, though he is a master of the understatement.

The point is that to make power, you've got to burn fuel. Each engine design is a little bit more efficient at max power than the previous, so that is good. Turbos allow for an engine that meets the regs that the enviro-rules guys lay down - in the same way an amg merc meets the sound regs with a bimodal valve. The engines are tuned for meeting the regs - but if driven spiritedly, use pretty much the same amount, resulting in the same amount of exhaust by products. Add in the increased complexity and likely shorter service life and any minuscule real-world emissions benefits are gone - not that the tiny amount of Porsches sold in the big picture make any difference anyway. If you really believe by buying a turbo 4 over an atmo 6 that you are making an iota of difference to the atmosphere, well, that's putting belief over reality.

'I want a cayman with a Subaru engine' - said nobody, ever.

Porsche knew exactly what it was doing when it released the boxster with 6 cylinders instead of 4, even though it as a comparatively small 2.5.

It's in the the category of impact bumpers getting forced on the buyers rather than all cars getting einspritzen or whatever the German word is.

Guys the stigma surrounding the 930's lag is really not that bad when you learn how to drive it.

For me it's mainly exaggerated due to the long gearing of the 4 speed to the extent of pulling up to 150 still in second. That's where an NA P car will be quicker, down low around the B roads no doubt but once the road opens up things do change. It does chew up the road pretty quickly.

It's a GT car at heart and I love it. That's my take on it...........

+1 Greg, its been a beat up from the get go.

Yes the 3L cars were a bit of a pig (but a great collector car)

Coastr.. the "reality" is that you may drive your Porsche at max maybe 10% of its life ,so the over all emissions are far better over the life of the car.

I remember in about 1979 at Winton when the Turbo's started running P club events. I was there with Dad racing his 75 2.7( a fast NA Porsche) for the time. The Turbo cars made everything look ridiculous, in fact it was almost dangerous to have them on the same track.

Winton was hardly a point and squirt track and the tight Morwell hill climb was dominated by turbo cars also. The track record was and still is held by a 930. The old B Road thing comes up all the time, the NA guys seem to believe it to be true, maybe around a go kart track it maybe a fact.(talking old Porsches here) The Targa Tas was dominated by NA P cars, but that is due to the rules rather than any other factor. Even the top Targa guys now say that the NA Porsche is just to underpowered to keep it up. I love all Porsche Cars, but lets keep a bit of perspective on things before the old P car owner is living in the same fantasy land as the owners of "revy," "spritely", "spirited" old British cars. All of which just means slow , but it makes them feel good ;)

Tazzie.. your mate must have been a good driver as a win under those rules would be a hard task :)

Ahhhhhh 930 turbo ..... :wub:

I personally wouldn't care if an old Datsun 120y beat it over the 1/4 mile or if it emitted more emissions than the Titanic ......

I would sell my car and probably one of my kids to put one in the driveway .... I envy those of you that have one ...

I tend to think an NA 911, rather than a 930 would be the best way to experience true "drivers" kind of road if we are talking B roads.

Saying that I have never driven an NA 911.

The 930 is a different thing I think, does not mean the same driver won't enjoy the same road in one.

They will still have a grin on their face that would be hard to hide.

"B" grade roads round here in a 930 use 2nd and 3rd gear.

Once a 930 is pulling hard in 2nd, you are generally over the state limit.

And nobody here would do that now would they?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love turbos. Maybe i am nostalgic for when a car with turbo on its flanks meant something special. I just hate to see the death of the NA engine for very marginal reasons. Sports Cars with small production runs should fall under a different category like vans and utes do.

Ultimately - these cars are mainly bought for the enjoyment, and the engine noise and response is part of that.

Tazzie.. your mate must have been a good driver as a win under those rules would be a hard task :)

Yes he is (lap record at Baskerville , a very tight track) and has huge balls. Also driving a 600hp monster from the past , around Winton etc this year , well into his 6th decade.

Haven't you upgraded your turbo & exhaust , to reduce the factory lag?

The earliest ones have a fair reputation (maybe coloured by the incidents of first owners - many who were wealthy average drivers - and the fact that Europe and USA/Canada get snow & ice). When the road's wet , all bets are off unless one is lucky enough to drive a 928  B)

Yes I did Tazzie, however the beast now has a new home. I miss that car to the point it actually makes me feel physically sick (no joke).

Anyhow, nice to find some common ground on something ;)

As for the 928, did you know they designed the Ford Sierra off the 928 (true story).

As for the 928, did you know they designed the Ford Sierra off the 928 (true story).

No I didn't , but it would be disturbing if that was the other way around!

Mind you they invented the 917 to take on Ford & Enzo

The old Porsches will always instil passion in me , not just for nostalgic reasons.

We have been lucky to live through these past decades. Hell I am even thinking of getting an old vintage car one day, but not an Austin 7 or MG. Maybe no turbo - but a supercharger would be entertaining.

Sorry Stuttgart , we must talk up the next gen of cars for you  :rolleyes: Back to topic.

Ahhhgrrrr, we just strike some common ground and you ruin it with the words Austin 7.

Why good Sir would a man do that to himself ;)

Anyhow, with my self imposed limit of one post per month, now I will see you in 5 months.

Please do not reply with anything to make me reply again, I need some wiggle room :ph34r:

I tend to think an NA 911, rather than a 930 would be the best way to experience true "drivers" kind of road if we are talking B roads.

Saying that I have never driven an NA 911.

The 930 is a different thing I think, does not mean the same driver won't enjoy the same road in one.

They will still have a grin on their face that would be hard to hide.

"B" grade roads round here in a 930 use 2nd and 3rd gear.

Once a 930 is pulling hard in 2nd, you are generally over the state limit.

And nobody here would do that now would they?

Well I have the same motor as the 930 but the G50 5 speed, 2nd gear was still enough to prohibit me from driving it for 6 months... :ph34r:  :ph34r:

If you don't have turbo lag, your turbo is too small. ;)

lol that could very well be true and I'm sure Pauly agrees :)

My Vitesse stage 2 arrives tomorrow and I am told it spools real nice and is very solid up top. Less lag and more boost maybe possible but  will see once it's fitted :D

Ahhhgrrrr, we just strike some common ground and you ruin it with the words Austin 7.

Why good Sir would a man do that to himself ;)

Anyhow, with my self imposed limit of one post per month, now I will see you in 5 months.

Please do not reply with anything to make me reply again, I need some wiggle room :ph34r:

I'll just leave this here, with the question "What's not to like?"

tumblr_mld296kOXY1ra31o5o3_1280.jpg

Yes I did Tazzie, however the beast now has a new home. I miss that car to the point it actually makes me feel physically sick (no joke).

Anyhow, nice to find some common ground on something ;)

Never understood why you got rid of that car Vas. It was certainly my favourite PFA car. Sounds like you need another one :)

Now had Porsche gone the turbo route with the 928 (the potential was on the Zuffenhausen table) , that would have been interesting.

Retrofitted ones are by all accounts , rather fun.

Then the choice becomes one of aesthetics , nostalgia or religious persuasion.

And just for Vas , here is the 1935 Austin 7 for Le Mans purposes, avec le supercharger

7697564346_5af1044718.jpg

Complete with side impact protection system delete option, available to gentlemen with large vegetables

red1153.jpg?itok=TDMYTPmp

Like the 911 turbo , I imagine rather fun . 

Archived