944 Turbo WTB

Rai

Dealer would not allow a test drive so query what may be wrong with car. Also RSR sold a concours low km 1990 model about 18 months ago for $40,000 so most this one could be worth if sorted would be say $30,000. So not worth restoring in my view as cost would outweigh return unless you can do a lot of restoration yourself. Just my view!

That's a red flag right their Rai, i had a think today about the repairs i have done to my n/a to date and it would be nothing in comparison to what it would cost to get this car back to spec, gaskets, seals, switches, electrics and more than likely a turbo then throw in the paint, the list goes on.

Be patient Rai something will turn up, might pay you to ring around the mechanics that service these cars you never know who may be thinking of selling.

There are some very nice Turbos out there, they just take a while to pop up. If i could give advice, if a nice one does become available then be willing to travel on short notice to see it. We have quite a few customers that snap these up quickly. Just like that RSR one. Its a very nice example and worth every bit (probably more) what our customer paid for it. Now it resides in his collection.

Here are a few pictures to show you what a very nice example is all about.

Regards

Sean

DSC_0353_zps3rtoanyl.jpg

DSC_0355_zps4inlwo0i.jpg

DSC_0352_zps7ddvu8ki.jpg

DSC_0350_zpso9lf2s6e.jpg

DSC_0365_zpsdlveakkk.jpg

It went for $11,750, which is really sad, as I was following a much nicer blue one on CarSales last year which hung around for more than 6 months at $15,000.  Not sure how much is the current market and how much is "buying a bargain on EBay".  The black one will cost the owner another $10K to end up with a presentable car...

Tingy

Quite right.  Presentable for me is the bottom rung of the acceptability ladder.  As I've said before, if I was going for a 951 to be proud of, I wouldn't start with that one...

• 4 weeks later...

I can provide a bit more information.  As Cyberpunky stated,

110 944Ts were imported in 1986...

1987: none imported (still selling the '86s)

1988: 25

1989: 38

1990: 15 (mine is one of the last 15 :D , sorry, not for sale...)

Good luck with your search.  Happy to help out if you want a Brissie one looked at.

Rob do you have any sales numbers of units sold into South Africa in 86?

You could always pick up an S2 and supercharge it :P , it would be just as rare once you'd supercharged it, just as fun, but I'd be lying if I said it would hold its value like a 944 Turbo S. 

The Turbos are great cars, particularly if you are going to give it a tickle like Pauly and Cyber. Good luck with your search. 

This might be alright, been for sale for a while though???

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1989/SSE-AD-2527364/?Cr=0

With reference doing up tired ones, just remember they were $100k + when new, the prices of some parts are killers. Things like Window regulators were about $600 each when I replaced mine. 

OT but I'd love to know how many of the 110 are like mine with sunroof delete, script and sports seats but sadly PCA claim they dont have that info nor do Porsche Germany. I'm not sure if that's true or it's just matter of them not being bothered for our cars. Seems like they can tell you what the guy who fitted the windscreen on a 73 911 had for lunch but nothing on 944's :(

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

Nearly bought it but it was a 951 engine with 220 hp..Really after the 952 engine and 250hp. Looks like a very nice though. So good buy for the person who bought it. Understand that it is sold.

Rai

Thanks

Nearly bought it but it was a 951 engine with 220 hp..Really after the 952 engine and 250hp. Looks like a very nice though. So good buy for the person who bought it. Understand that it is sold.

Rai

952 is not an engine nor does it refer to a turbo S, I have an 86 952. 952 is right hand drive. 951 is left hand drive.

Thanks

Rai

Do you have any further details on the car (the red 88 944 Turbo in SA)?

This was very close to what I was looking for 12 months ago (timing grr). As soon as I saw it listed I've been trying to work out how I could justify both my BMW and the 952 in the garage...

I understand that a deposit has been paid and all but sold. Of course you can always call and clarify as sounds nice and comes with original front panel and original radio.

Good luck!

Rai

• 3 months later...

Well finally got a 1989 red 944 Turbo. Acquired in SA from Classic and Prestige. Great guys to deal with and will be building a showroom for their collection soon.

Will have it transported to Melbourne next week.

Car is mint condition having won a concourse complete with original tool kit, air compressor, original radio, sunroof cover etc.

Very happy and will post pictures soon!

Well finally got a 1989 red 944 Turbo. Acquired in SA from Classic and Prestige. Great guys to deal with and will be building a showroom for their collection soon.

Will have it transported to Melbourne next week.

Car is mint condition having won a concourse complete with original tool kit, air compressor, original radio, sunroof cover etc.

Very happy and will post pictures soon!

cd4824331819688294518.jpg?height=700&asp

If it's this one, well done and welcome to the 944 corner of PFA.  We'll be interested to follow your new ownership experience.

Archived