911 ST Recreation

JRW121

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so wanted to start by contributing the 911 journey I've taken. I've drooled enviously for years over the creations of Rob Dickinson and Magnus Walker and thought dam it I gotta have one! I checked the bank account and was about half a mill short so Singer would have to wait.

For a modest sum, I found myself a Guards Red 964 C4 in Melbourne that had been sitting around for a few years (leaking as they do from time to time). My plan was to recreate the look of the 911ST, mainly because I love the look of the larger flares coupled with the long nose bonnet etc. At this point I've probably polarised half the forum by cutting up a perfectly good 964, but I hope what transpires is a thing of beauty with all the same driving and handling attributes of the C4 (less a few kilos) coupled with the 911 looks for the pre impact bumper cars I loved back in the day.

post-2155-0-74624900-1429515464_thumb.jp

post-2155-0-95158400-1429515522_thumb.jp

post-2155-0-87005800-1429515532_thumb.jp

First job was to get one oily mother out, pretty straight forward, made a nice dolly on wheels which helped. I thought the problem would be case through bolt seals as there was plenty signs of leaking in that area.

post-2155-0-08106800-1429516356_thumb.jp

Mmm..., snap :)

Also picked myself up a 964 4 the other day.

Also was a few hundred k short of a Singer.

Also considering a build...

Probably won't we getting as dirty as you though. Good luck. Will be watching

F0C16826-2332-403F-9378-57FA62B1F35B_zps

Looks very tidy indeed, if you don't mind me asking what did it cost?

Right, here is the link and some progress shots, more updates to follow;

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/fbd1/library/Porsche%20911%20ST%20Recreation?sort=3&page=1

ENGINE

Engine stripped, was in good shape apart from a warped cylinder head which was causing the leak at the base of the cylinder, very odd as it was way out of tolerance and had to replace.

All seals replaced, cam cover faces machined, cam chains renewed, cylinder heads overhauled, new rings. Bores, gudgeon pins,pistons all good. I powder coated all the tin, cad plated a few things, gold fan (couldn't help myself). New dual mass flywheel and clutch, I did contemplate the SMF but decided as I'm not spec'ing up the engine it shall remain as Dr Ing intended :rolleyes:

BODY

ST flares front and rear, indicator extensions and long nose steel bonnet (should be fibreglass really but I just finished a 58 Corvette and I'm having an itching break :blink: )

70's engine lid and front slam panel.

Couple of major decisions, oil cooling line an A/C pipe locations??? One of the major downfalls of many of these projects is in this area. In order to keep the old school looks you need to avoid too much depth under the doors, a sill covering the pipes looks too bulky (in my view). So I have gone to some lengths to hide the pipework.

WHEELS

Fuch style

Front 16" x 8" 225 tyres

Rear 16" x 9" 245 Tyres

You can hopefully see from the photos, everything was stripped out in the engine bay and front so that it could be painted the same colour as the exterior.

Colour chosen  - Slate Grey from the late 60's Porsche palette, a great colour when complemented with some serious bling so all the black anodised trim is off to the polishers B)

Awesome build, well done for taking on the challenge.

Great colour choice, looking forward to the finished product.

Have you sorted out the front oil cooler space problem?

Isn't this why a lot of backdated 964's are RS creations?

Awesome build, well done for taking on the challenge.

Great colour choice, looking forward to the finished product.

Have you sorted out the front oil cooler space problem?

Isn't this why a lot of backdated 964's are RS creations?

Yep, raised the floor at the front and repositioned the oil and A/C units

IMG_2399_zpswqphzyqv.jpg

Archived