964 Spare Tyre Deflation

Anyone know how to get the spare tyre on a 964 deflated so I can get it back in the front compartment?

For all my searching, I cannot find a suction pump to suit...Here's a pic of the sort of tyre I am referencing...

964%20spare%20tyre_zpsumefob38.png

how much bigger than the 1 in th pic,never seen 1 pumped up they are a bloody awkward thing to get in on a good day, Take the black ABS cover off it gives you just that bit you need

Mike -I have had the same problem- a search of Rennlist came up with the suggestion of using a tie down strap with a ratchet tighten er. Remove the valve -wrap the strap around the tyre and tighten. It allows that little bit of air to be removed then reinstall the the valve to stop it from reinflating.

Don't expect to get the tyre back to where it was before inflating but it was enough with a little force to re install the tyre in the front boot

how much bigger than the 1 in th pic,never seen 1 pumped up they are a bloody awkward thing to get in on a good day, Take the black ABS cover off it gives you just that bit you need

mine is about 1inch larger all around.. i tried the ratchet straps, and for the life of me, cannot bet the bugger any smaller! (yes, before you ask i did it with the valve core removed!)

Anyone, got a fully-deflated one they want to sell?

My AC vacuum pump might do the trick? I think the smaller r134 valves are the same size as a tyre valve?

I'm getting it out to vacuum check the ac, I'll see if the fitting will go on a tyre valve.

mine is about 1inch larger all around.. i tried the ratchet straps, and for the life of me, cannot bet the bugger any smaller! (yes, before you ask i did it with the valve core removed!)

You should be able to flog off the rim to an early Speedster owner, I read (i think) they are popular. Yes if that thing is an inch bigger it ain't going back in there  :( 

I have one but you have to buy the car to get it. :huh:

Bring it around home night and we can see what we can do-it will be a challenge and we can check it against mine

I'd be surprised if my space saver would hold pressure.  it's 30+ years old and crusty.  It's a garage ornament these days.

While I'm confident mine are OK and have tested one just to see, I bought one of these tyre plug repair kits thinking I may as well fix the proper tyre then and there and put it back on:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Slime-Tyre-Repair-Plug-Reamer-Kit-11-Piece.aspx?pid=342772#Recommendations

I've done one repair on my kids car and it made me wonder while I didn't buy a kit years ago.

While I'm confident mine are OK and have tested one just to see, I bought one of these tyre plug repair kits thinking I may as well fix the proper tyre then and there and put it back on:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Slime-Tyre-Repair-Plug-Reamer-Kit-11-Piece.aspx?pid=342772#Recommendations

I've done one repair on my kids car and it made me wonder while I didn't buy a kit years ago.

Ever since I have had the porsche with only the crappy spacesaver I have carried one of those kits with me plus two cans of tyreweld,(years of riding bikes long distances) . The thought of driving back from the snowies or the like on a space saver sends shivers down my spine.Haven`t yet needed it for the car but it saved the ruination of a good long  biking weekend on at least two occasions.

Ever since I have had the porsche with only the crappy spacesaver I have carried one of those kits with me plus two cans of tyreweld,(years of riding bikes long distances) . The thought of driving back from the snowies or the like on a space saver sends shivers down my spine.Haven`t yet needed it for the car but it saved the ruination of a good long  biking weekend on at least two occasions.

Steve,

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I'm interested to know re bikes how effective the tyreweld solution is - does it have sufficient pressure to re-inflate the tyre, or do you need a pump as well?

Steve,

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I'm interested to know re bikes how effective the tyreweld solution is - does it have sufficient pressure to re-inflate the tyre, or do you need a pump as well?

Bike adventures were pre the existence of tyreweld so always carried a pump, however having used it a few times on car tyres, 235x45x17, giving about 20lb I think it should easily do a bike tyre, unless of course it is only capable of volume not pressure, so not sure

Archived