Track days with passengers - Vic

DS911

I'm taking a deep breath and looking for a track event I can take my 964 to.  I'm not looking to race at this stage, just get some experience.  I am also keen to have my 14 year old as passenger for at least some of the session/s.

It seems that Winton has a 'Fun Day' late November and Driver Dynamics has some at Sandown, although they only allocate a lap or 2 for passengers.

Can anyone recommend other events or organisers who might have something to suit?

Thanks.

Winton is your best bet for passengers since you will be operating under AASA instead of CAMs unless it's a CAMs club event. Their fun day is your best bet. Otherwise there are a few non CAMs car clubs which you'll find around Victoria which run under AASA and have days up at Winton, Haunted Hills in Newborough and DECA in Shepperton. 

On a side note, PFA Motorkhana R3 will be in November and passengers are allowed almost all day. I'll be posting up on the SMT section of the forum next week.

Thread for the last one is http://porscheforum.com.au/index.php?/topic/5930-vic-motorkhana-r2-sunday-12th-of-april-2015
And here's some footage from the it.

i am going to do the winton fun day, as my 14 y.o daughter also wants to come for s ride. She was a little upset i couldnt take her to the test and tune day.

Bonus is, the next fun day at winton falls on her birthday, so will definitely do it. She is excited  :)

Get in early as they are usually very busy

Why not go one step further.

Here in Sydney , at the PCNSW motorkhana events , we have been having parents bring there 12 + year olds to try out their cars in these low speed events. AT 12 they qualify for a CAMS non speed event licence which allows them to compete.

Its a fantastic way for a young teenager to learn their driving skills. Over a few events they get much more skilled and realise that slipping and sliding uncontrollably is (fun) slow and not an ego boost. Some of the earliest kids are now legally on the road and have skills you would trust well beyond what most of us started with.

I'm sure there are similar events in melbourne with all the advantages of CAMS sanctioned events and insurances.

just a thought!

Thanks for the info guys.  I'll have a look at these suggestions and pick one to go to very soon.

I know if my 14 year old had half a chance to get behind the wheel he'd never rest until I agreed!

When I was 14yo. I made the foolish choice of "borrowing" the family car.  Fortunately, I got away with it unscathed.   My father had the sense to recognise that I was better off being taught to drive before legal age in a supervised off-road environment.  He taught me basic car control, i.e. braking, cornering, surviving a skid etc.  These saved me on numerous occasions once I did eventually get my licence.  My point is this,  teach your kids to drive safely.  Allow them to experience speeds higher than that allowed on public roads and quell the natural curiosity which too often results in tragic risky behaviour by inexperienced drivers.  Introductory track-days are a perfect environment to do this.  

The Porsche club Vic have President's Day at Sandown on the 1-11-15

You must have a passenger with you to go on the track, check out the PCV website 

Note that you will need to provide evidence of previous track experience and/or completion of an advanced driver course to take part in this event though. 

• 3 weeks later...

As an update I did a track day at Sandown on Saturday with Driver Dynamics.  One of the 20 min sessions allowed for passengers so I split that between my son and one of his mates.

I had such a great time and I'm looking forward to the next outing so I can get aim for some respectable times.  Hopefully I'll have the in car cam sorted for that one.

• 2 months later...

Father Daughter fun day today at Winton...had an absolute blast, and also met a fellow PFA member

Daughter also loved it and been her birthday today, couldnt have been a better occasion.

She wants to do it again, so i dare say, she'll be wanting to drive it around the track in a couple of years when she gets her license :)

23091866170_e71b039b32_b.jpg

22759292324_4d1a41052c_b.jpg

23091865520_062dfe06c1_b.jpg

Archived