Selling the Car

I've been pondering it over the past few months but I'll be putting my 911 SC up for sale. 

Tough decision but no matter how much I've tried to convince myself, it's just not a suitable family car and using it as the daily drive takes a bit of the gloss off the magic. Will definitely get back into an air cooled or may even dabble in a more family friendly water-cooled. 

I'll put it up on carsales later but the rough details are:

1978 911 SC, matching numbers, imported from the UK to Perth around the early to mid 80's.

There's many posts on the work that's been done on the car but it's almost a completely 'refreshed' 911. Engine is leak free, suspension is mostly brand new and the interior and external paint are in good condition with no rust. Receipts go back to the mid 80's and are pretty solid except for a bit of a hiatus from 2007-2012  but all the critical upgrades have been completed (head studs, valve springs, carrera cam oil line upgrade). recon'd 915 5spd manual, Koni adjustables, 4 new Conti tyres, new brake pads, valve adjust, recent full service etc etc.  

The negatives are the a/c has been deleted (some think this is positive), heater blower disconnected (should be easily reconnected), exterior paint is non-original (copper brown) and has some blemishes when critically viewed, the engine decklid is fibreglass but I'll include the genuine Porsche whale tail and the genuine 6&7 fuchs are finished slightly differently from front to rear and it's missing the genuine rear caps (temporary plastic ones are used at present).

The car really does drive, shift and handle extremely well. It's done 164,000 miles but feels like new and is as close to original as almost any. Selling unregistered but will include a QLD roadworthy certificate if desired.

$64,000 

ABB1B8DA-0896-4265-AD72-E7DA4D08791C_zps

677D47EE-C3E3-4BC3-B284-4E0E9FD9DE35_zps

26B8AD97-29B5-46A7-8E2F-FF85EABC2CF4_zps

6EEF639B-24D0-44F6-8A66-BEE5F74F79F9_zps

Beautiful car, I'd say best of luck with the sale but in the current climate it should sell in an instant. If I was in the market I'd definitely have a look at it. Given the insane market, round it up to $70k and put it on gumtree or carsales a beautiful example like that wouldn't last a week.......

• 5 weeks later...

Been absent for awhile, thought going cold turkey was the best way to give up the 911 but like the first 3 attempts at giving up the fags, here I am! 

I've now had two wood ducks lead me up the garden path so I figure I'm just going to enjoy the car while I've still got it and if it sells it sells. 

You pretty much get an email most days, usually new interest that you'll only hear from once or serial low ballers and just occasionally you'll get someone who's a little more interested than the others. Despite all the interest, most has been from interstate and only a few local test pilots have physically inspected the car despite two agreed offers and no PPi's.

It is still for sale though and I am open to offers, just not silly ones. I am considering installing an original stereo and steering wheel as that seems to be top of the list for some people but I'd be keen to know your thoughts if it's worthwhile?

Probably dealers mate.

If people are serious, front up and be true to your word, not dick people around! 

I love your car and seriously considered selling mine to make an offer, yet I'll be seeing my car through to rebuild the engine. 

It looks to be a decent car mate, and when you least expect it to sell, you'll be inundated with offers. If people have an issue with a steering wheel, well I'd just laugh and walk away! Its a $500 fix FFS! 

Personally, just enjoy the car and what will be, will be

I ogled your car on carsales for a while before realising it was yours just a few days ago!

I do really like it and think it has potential for the type of build i imagine doing with an aircooled.

Having never even driven an aircooled car though, I still struggle with the concept of giving up the performance, comfort and reliability of a perfectly good 996 for the romance of an earlier car...

Having never even driven an aircooled car though, I still struggle with the concept of giving up the performance, comfort and reliability of a perfectly good 996 for the romance of an earlier car...

you said it, "romance".  The romance of driving car that you idolised in your younger days when you did not have the readies to own one.

Too good to hotrod Trev.

I ogled your car on carsales for a while before realising it was yours just a few days ago!

I do really like it and think it has potential for the type of build i imagine doing with an aircooled.

easy solution here...three Porsches.  

You need to fix the 'never driven an air cooled car' thing though.  I saw Melbourne was fifteen degrees today.  Here on the coast it was 28 and blue skies.  You could get some sun and some air cooled driving in!

ps I've never driven  a water cooled Porsche :)

Archived