Reminiscing with the 930

turboT

So we have known for months now that Turbo's will no longer be special. They will probably be shoe horned into everything with a Porsche badge on it, all under the guise of efficiency. All that is special and revered will be lost to history, The 997 will potentially be seen as the last true Turbo, as the Gen 2 991's will have twin turbos in their base model carrera. This is pretty amazing news for Carerra owners who will be able to buy a 3.0L (yes just like an SC :) ) twin turbo S that does 0-100 in sub 4secs. But it will take all shine out of owning the top of the range car. Not all of us want a car that is track ready like a GT3. Something a little more stealthy and under the radar has always had its place. 

Efficiency is all well and good and welcome to the sub 4 sec club, but be careful with all that speed. Personally i find my 997TT too bloody fast for Australian roads (and radars).

Watch your licences and lament the passing or an era. I'll be in the garage reminiscing with the 930

arh yes, with the never ending pursuit for each new model to have a 10% increase in hp and torque...there was only so far naturally aspirated engines could be pushed while meeting some pretty tough emission standards. it was inevitable.

Surely the proof will be in the driving.  The new generations of turbo'd petrol engines tend to get on boost early and typically run at lower rev's, relying on the extra torque to accelerate strongly.  There is no need to plant the right foot getting the rev's up thus using more fuel.   If Porsche's new base level turbo engine also behaves like this then maybe that will leave room for a more exciting Turbo model.  

Surely the proof will be in the driving.  The new generations of turbo'd petrol engines tend to get on boost early and typically run at lower rev's, relying on the extra torque to accelerate strongly.  There is no need to plant the right foot getting the rev's up thus using more fuel.   If Porsche's new base level turbo engine also behaves like this then maybe that will leave room for a more exciting Turbo model.  

looks like the difference will be in engine capacity. C2s will now have a 3.0l so maybe the turbo retains a 3.8 or 4l? But whatever happens the 'badge' will mean nothing anymore :(

looks like the difference will be in engine capacity. C2s will now have a 3.0l so maybe the turbo retains a 3.8 or 4l? But whatever happens the 'badge' will mean nothing anymore :(

Yes it will.  The badge on your 930 will mean EVEN MORE now! :P

I'm surprised it has taken 40 years, since the release of the 930, for any manufacturer to turbo all their engines.  It has long been known that a turbo can increase HP and Torque and decrease emissions thus allowing for a smaller capacity engine.  Of course, for a certain HP, the horse is still eats the same amount of hay.

Next will be smaller turbo engined hybrid …...then possibly all electric

Yes it will.  The badge on your 930 will mean EVEN MORE now! :P

Yeah !!  I was first …. nah nah :P

(of course there was BMW 2002 and maybe few others but Porsche put TURBO on the the map )

arh yes, with the never ending pursuit for each new model to have a 10% increase in hp and torque...

kind of glad I am getting out of that race. Always left me with a feeling every 4-5 years "for fucks sake is this no good anymore!" Even the dealers who sold it to you had lost interest. Mobile phones is one thing but thousands on cars another.

old and slow(er) is the way forward

I'm surprised it has taken 40 years, since the release of the 930, for any manufacturer to turbo all their engines.  It has long been known that a turbo can increase HP and Torque and decrease emissions thus allowing for a smaller capacity engine.  Of course, for a certain HP, the horse is still eats the same amount of hay.

Next will be smaller turbo engined hybrid …...then possibly all electric

Yeah !!  I was first …. nah nah :P

(of course there was BMW 2002 and maybe few others but Porsche put TURBO on the the map )

Lets be real. If Ferrari are going turbo, then that battle is over...

agree, much like most current golf GTi's and the like. run out of puff fairly early.

me, i like my turbocharged cars to at least FEEL turbocharged, or else what's the point.. :D

Instead of turbos to meet emissions, would have been cheaper to borrow cheat software from their parent company.....as long as they don't get caught.

agree, much like most current golf GTi's and the like. run out of puff fairly early.

me, i like my turbocharged cars to at least FEEL turbocharged, or else what's the point.. :D

yeah nothing.....nothing......nothing......whoa booooost is what real Turbos do.  May not be as fast but it is exhilarating.  That will mark a turbo from a Turbo.

My car is 40 years old this month. And still the best looking car ever built. No amount of technology will change that.

but your car would be a hell of a lot safer to drive if it had a little technology....man those 930's can be a handful and you need a good set of nuts to drive those hard:)

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds Better than my 997 Carrera S ................I would buy one and love that shade of blue in the video too ....I think Porsche has done and amazing job on this transition from Aspirated Carrera to force feed ,,,,I can not wait to get a drive of one and the performance figure are mind blowing ,,,it leaves my 997 for dead ......Very impressive figures :)

I remember all the fuss and carry on about the PDK gearbox and no Manual option on the 991 GT3 ..............Honestly after driving the 991 GT3 ,,I really like it and the PDK every bit as much fun as a manual ,,,The PDK adds to the driving experience ,,,,And when you don,t feel like Driving like you stole it you can just relax with it in Auto ,,,the car really has two characters ,,,,,My only concern with the new 911 is that they have become so High tech ,,,I doubt I will be capable of doing any more than a Basic service on the car eg oil change , plugs , filters,,the electronic,s are just to complex for the average Porsche enthusiast like myself ,,,,,regardless I still Love this New 911.and want one ...........:D

That's what people thought when EFI came in..too hard to fix...then abs...you learn as you go and you fix things as you need.  I have surprised myself at being able to learn complex systems and work through problems with the help,of the internet.

the big question on the newer cars is the durability of all the plastic parts that go into them these days.  They are all made to meet recycling laws nowadays and that means lots of plastic.  You think 3.0 head studs don't like repeated heat cycles...wait until those plastic engine parts are thirty years old. 

Yes I certainly agreed with that these new cars are not going to be around in 30 years like the air cooled cars ,,,the plastic,s and complex electronic,s just wont stand the test of time .....You do see this in all modern cars though ,,the new HSV,s and FPV,s will not stand the test of time like the old Torana,s and Falcons .

The air cooled 911,s were certainly built to last and very much over engineered ,,,,Some of the plastic,s and materials in my 997 are quite flimsy too ,,,some of them are not the greatest quality IMO :D

Archived