Brisbane PPI

Pork chops -  not sure if you're new to a SC or not, but seriously consider paying primarily to pull off the valve covers and inspect the head studs, and to get a compression and/or leak down test, and a thorough rust inspection.   Everything else (apart from a bent chassis) is comparatively easy to fix or easy to detect.  Someone like mike can easily rule in/out simple stuff like worn out gearbox, mismatching panels, ratty interior, bald tyres etc.

i went though the PPI process and got back information about 'owners manual and toolkit missing' (the owner had it at home) and 'interior light not working' (switch it back on).  When asked what the compression was or whether the head studs were good,  I got an assurance, all good, but no actual testing.  In other words, an educated guess.  (Both turned out fine in the end, but could have been worse)

i hold myself responsible for this because I wasn't clear when arranging things, thinking 'PPI' is a known quantity like a haircut or a lawn mow.  It's not, so when setting one up, set out in writing what you want checked.  It's going to cost you a few hundred bucks and you only get one shot at it, so make sure you're prepared and have briefed the checker on what you want. Get them to spend the time on the difficult to check and potentially catastrophic things, and don't stress about the rest.  Even competent rebuilding the suspension with new parts is cheap compared to tearing the engine down because it has a broken head stud.

Michael Harris at Promotive Engineering did mine a few years back, very good to deal with and thorough on the PPI. Was happy to speak on the phone at length 

yep Michael likes a chat, I use him exclusively to maintain my 3.2, cant recommend him highly enough.  

Archived