Porsche confirm new 718 for 2016

RedMan

Reckon there were all the same negative comments prior to the release of the 996

"the end of the world is nigh"

The 996 comments are only just starting to die down. 

Death of NA engines, manual transmissions and electric steering is just starting to take over.

• 4 months later...

Apparently 25th of June is when they will be in show rooms. Is it just me but every video I have seen the engine sounds have been almost nonexistent to the point of being suspicious.?

This somewhat elongated video may help. All colours and trims for the 718 Boxster, with sound.

I read somewhere recently that all may not be doom and gloom for the 718. It has more power, it should be lighter with the smaller engine, the Cayman will be cheaper than the Boxster and the  flat 4 will distance itself from the 911 even more, something all other Porsche models have done. So I see it as a good move and one that probably should have been done from day one but component sharing made it easier and cheaper to do it the way they did :)

Not all Porsche cars have to sound the same, but I understand that is will sound different from the out going models.... this may make them (earlier models)more desirable and $$ from now???

Not all Porsche cars have to sound the same, but I understand that is will sound different from the out going models.... this may make them (earlier models)more desirable and $$ from now???

You could be right. As a 987.1 owner, I’m hoping you are!. 

It’s hard not to come across all “motor-journo” , but the sound of the flat six behind my head is a major part of the Cayman experience.  With that gone, I’d feel like I was driving a properly engineered Audi TT.

I have no doubt from what I’ve seen and read so far, that the 718 twins are excellent cars. If I had never twisted the ignition key on a flat six, I would probably jump on the list to buy one. Fact is, I’ve been spoiled. 

This somewhat elongated video may help. All colours and trims for the 718 Boxster, with sound.

Thanks for the video. It sort of confims my suspicions. The sound is ok but is very subdued. I have a 2ltr BMW turbo and it makes an OK sound but certainly does not grab your attention like NA 6 does. God forbid but even the M3 sounds a bit more urgent than this 4 cyl. It is going to be hard to go past an M2 when looking at this crop of 718s and pocketing the 50 to 60k difference. 

Thanks for the video. It sort of confims my suspicions. The sound is ok but is very subdued. I have a 2ltr BMW turbo and it makes an OK sound but certainly does not grab your attention like NA 6 does. God forbid but even the M3 sounds a bit more urgent than this 4 cyl. It is going to be hard to go past an M2 when looking at this crop of 718s and pocketing the 50 to 60k difference. 

I just read that BMW are getting more M2s allocated for Australia due to the demand. 

If it were my money, I would probably try and find one of the last 981 Caymans over a new Beemer M2. The M2 looks fun, but it's a completely different driving experience to a mid-engined Porsche. 

Sales of the 6 cyl Cayman in Oz went through the roof in the first three months of this year (104 in total) That times nicely with the announcement of the 4 cylinder model. 

I just read that BMW are getting more M2s allocated for Australia due to the demand. 

If it were my money, I would probably try and find one of the last 981 Caymans over a new Beemer M2. The M2 looks fun, but it's a completely different driving experience to a mid-engined Porsche. 

Sales of the 6 cyl Cayman in Oz went through the roof in the first three months of this year (104 in total) That times nicely with the announcement of the 4 cylinder model. 

I have a base 981 Cayman and it is awesome. I have driven the M2 on track and it was pretty special in its own way (sounds ok too - maybe the six just sounds better that the four cyl when turboed). I drove the M4 back to back with the M2 and came away really impressed with the M2 (not impressed enough to get me out of the 981 but definitely got me thinking). When I played on the configurator for the Boxster S it was a $185k activity to spec nicely which is a phenomenal amount of money for that car. A poverty pack Cayman is going to be the best part of 150 on the road. 

I am not hating on the 781 but it is a serious amount of coin, at least here in Australia, and I am sure it will go like a cut snake. 

Oops, didn't spot your 981 in the signature. Good to hear from someone that has driven both the M2 and Cayman. I wonder how you'd compare with a Cayman GTS. They are like hens teeth though,and would probably be close to the $160-70k mark. 

This guy isn't impressed

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster/17792/porsche-718-boxster-review-why-everything-porsche-touches-doesn-t-always-turn

What’s it like to drive?

Disappointing. Underwhelming. Soul destroying. All words and phrases I never thought I’d write about a Porsche sports car, but the 2-litre Boxster is a poor Porsche and the disappointment focuses on the moment the engine starts.

If you, or a friend, ever owned an air-cooled VW Beetle you’ll immediately recognise the unsophisticated clatter when you hear a 2-litre Boxster for the first time. Unfortunately it’s no better from inside, where the tone switches from that of a Beetle run on a student’s budget to an Impreza turbo with a blown exhaust.

Normally, in these situations things improve when the engine’s under load, but even Porsche hasn’t managed to pull off the impossible here. On the move the engine sounds broken, like it’s dropped a valve or two.

But I guess with "more power" it's like more protein. The more the better because bigger muscles are what we want! So all is not lost.

This guy isn't impressed

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster/17792/porsche-718-boxster-review-why-everything-porsche-touches-doesn-t-always-turn

But I guess with "more power" it's like more protein. The more the better because bigger muscles are what we want! So all is not lost.

Well, that was pretty scathing (Evo's review, not the Taco Bell masterpiece)

It will still sell by the truck load and make Porsche lots of money :)

All good with me, as long as they pour some of the cash into the 911 development bucket, and not the autonomous driving development bucket.  

All good with me, as long as they pour some of the cash into the 911 development bucket, and not the autonomous driving development bucket.  

Surely the 911 is developed as it can be for most intents and purposes? The driver aids are what allow all that power to be used by the 99% of ordinary drivers who buy one. I'm afraid as we leave the fossil fuel age the cars will be more autonomous , safer and less exciting for the driver. In Shanghai , or wherever most Porsches are now sold.

Actually I'm not afraid at al.. Driving my series Landrover , well that is a frightening experience for the uninitiated!

Surely the 911 is developed as it can be for most intents and purposes? The driver aids are what allow all that power to be used by the 99% of ordinary drivers who buy one. I'm afraid as we leave the fossil fuel age the cars will be more autonomous , safer and less exciting for the driver. In Shanghai , or wherever most Porsches are now sold.

Actually I'm not afraid at al.. Driving my series Landrover , well that is a frightening experience for the uninitiated!

Amen. Agricultural Landies should be part of driver training for all the young'uns. And another thing..get orrrf my lawn!. 

Amen. Agricultural Landies should be part of driver training for all the young'uns. And another thing..get orrrf my lawn!. 

Surprising number of young uns not even interested in getting a license. I spose if you live a place spoilt for public transport choice , and all those bike lanes.

If only I had a lawn. The wallabies have chewed mine to nothingness and the law prevents me taking action. The law in Tas says I'm not even allowed to swerve if I meet one on the road. Mind you , in a series LR one is always swerving. It's like driving in a B&W 30s movie.

I'm still doing my research. This guy sums it up , the cars are all very efficient and "better" in objective terms , but they are less involved and lack soul.

Whether that matters to the new generation of sports car drivers I neither know nor care. All I will say is there's a difference between running barefoot on grass and running on a treadmill in soft Nikes. Which is why every new street Porsche I've drive in the past 10 years has left me with a somewhat "meh" feeling. They are no longer driver's cars. They are "too good".

And on that bombshell , bring on the "old fart" jokes :) I'll still be driving my last century cars in 30 years' time and getting a boner each time.

Good round-up of reviews. No old fart jokes from me, as it's all relative. I'm one of those Johnny-Come-Lately types to Porsche ownership. Lusted after them since the late 1980's and didn't try hard enough to get myself into one.

The 964 was my chosen obsession, when not many people liked them. I started saving towards one in 2011 and before I was ready...you know the rest. I looked back to the 80's Carrera,and before I was ready.... Comedy timing, you could call it.

I settled on one of the first Caymans, after daily driving a Lotus Exige for a few years. I'm smitten with it. It's quick enough, although the latest hatchbacks from Ford and VW will embarrass it. It sounds glorious, especially after installing one of Belgium's finest exhausts. It steers telepathically, with none of your electrically assisted nonsense, and the handling makes it look like I know how to drive, even on a couple of unintended sideways expeditions. 

All the above give the car "soul" to me. Every owner of every previous generation will have their own version of it. So until it's 911 time, I've found my niche. Purely from reading and watching vids, the 718 doesn't even make me want to test drive one.

Evo magazine is heavily Porsche biased, so that review you linked is very telling . 

Good round-up of reviews. No old fart jokes from me, as it's all relative. I'm one of those Johnny-Come-Lately types to Porsche ownership. Lusted after them since the late 1980's and didn't try hard enough to get myself into one.

The 964 was my chosen obsession, when not many people liked them. I started saving towards one in 2011 and before I was ready...you know the rest. I looked back to the 80's Carrera,and before I was ready.... Comedy timing, you could call it.

I settled on one of the first Caymans, after daily driving a Lotus Exige for a few years. I'm smitten with it. It's quick enough, although the latest hatchbacks from Ford and VW will embarrass it. It sounds glorious, especially after installing one of Belgium's finest exhausts. It steers telepathically, with none of your electrically assisted nonsense, and the handling makes it look like I know how to drive, even on a couple of unintended sideways expeditions. 

All the above give the car "soul" to me. Every owner of every previous generation will have their own version of it. So until it's 911 time, I've found my niche. Purely from reading and watching vids, the 718 doesn't even make me want to test drive one.

Evo magazine is heavily Porsche biased, so that review you linked is very telling . 

yep. If EVO is giving it to a Porsche then the game really is up. I am interested to drive one now purely because I can't believe it is that crap!

Archived