Singer - new website

turboT

Arrgh! I knew I'd find the word "bespoke" in there somewhere! My wife and I cringe and groan every time this word hits our ears. I blame Grand Designs.

Whatever happened to the word "custom"? It fits well with all the other Americanisms in our Aussie life.

A bespoke bicycle perhaps ,  but other than that...I will politely correct any conversation using "bespoke" ;)

The cars are nice customs. Has anyone tracked one of the race car replicas yet?

Arrgh! I knew I'd find the word "bespoke" in there somewhere! My wife and I cringe and groan every time this word hits our ears. I blame Grand Designs.

Whatever happened to the word "custom"? It fits well with all the other Americanisms in our Aussie life.

Bespoke suggests something hand crafted, just for me. An English gents tailored suit; a pair of duelling pistols with family crest...

Custom - well that could be a boggy, rusty SC forward dated, in yellow, gt2 wing and an exhaust system that falls off every time you go over a speed bump.

give me bespoke every time ;) 

give me bespoke every time ;) 

Fustian...

http://www.word-detective.com/2012/02/bespoke/

Although “bespoke” is in common use in Britain, it strikes the American ear as slightly strange and exotic, a fact that has, no doubt, increased its appeal among the wealthy and would-be wealthy in the US. The Anglophiliac tendencies of that same demographic almost certainly also played a role in the spread of the term. And, of course, the mass media barkers are always on the lookout for new buzzwords, so “bespoke” is suddenly everywhere.

But while “bespoke” may sound exotic, that’s only because it’s a bit antiquated.

You can tell when a fellow's getting old when he starts using words like "bespoke" in general conversation! 

well I do have a pair of duelling pistols..

old is the new cool

Pickles+9-1-09.gif

Poker instead of gumball is the only way most will get near to the cash required for a Singer:P 

Are the duelling pistols for sale? I'll swap you a pulpit , well used retro model.

I had to google 'Fustian'! 

I always like to bamboozle the missus with educated words. Not that I'm very educamacationally smart

I regularly have to google tassies comments. No doubt a superior race these taswegens...

at least I now know I have one over him with duelling pistol ownership ?

I regularly have to google tassies comments. No doubt a superior race these taswegens...

at least I now know I have one over him with duelling pistol ownership ?

I have hand forged swords. But not matching pairs. I'm not that clever, but working on it.

• 1 month later...

Thats what I like about Rob,  he's to the point and doesn't mince his words.

I've seen interviews with him that some would say he's a bit arrogant, but I highly doubt Singer wouldn't be where it is right now without someone like him at the helm.

His answer to this question kind of puts Magnus in his place!

TG: Hah! Well, to put it in context: in my conversation with Magnus Walker the other day, he explained that the main reason he refuses to build cars for other people is that everyone builds up an image in their mind of what it must be like to drive his cars, and when they actually get behind the wheel it’s usually very different than their perception. This would end up causing a ton of stress in the relationship with the customer as they’re usually so close. Does that make sense?

RD: Well, we’ve spent five years trying to make the best driving car on planet earth, and I think we've done it, so, no. People can judge the way the car looks and they can judge pricing and they can judge the quality maybe from pictures or if they've seen the car, but most people haven't driven the car—and of course, that's where the magic is. I'd say our cars are the very opposite from Magnus’. I can probably understand why Magnus says that about his cars, though.

Archived