Goodbye Reverse & 5th . Where Have You Gone ?

Steve88

Hey guys just tried to take out the car from the driveway (1980 SC) and couldn't get into reverse . To the point where i tried so many times i turned the car off and thought i must be asleep or something and tried again to no prevail . Reverse and 5th are totally gone . Any idea on what the go is  ? Ive had a look around the web and seen a few different things . Also i just hope this isn't a $$$$$$$$$ thing as that car cover will come in handy if it is . Any advice or help is always appreciated . Steve

Steve,

Before you panic, just check the front clamp or the rear grub screw hasn't loosen off on the shift coupler that is located under the plate (4 screws) on the floor tunnel in front of the back seat.  This coupler connects the gear lever selector shaft with the gearbox.  The coupler also has bushes that flog out but from what you're saying my money's on a quick tweak of an allen key or 13mm spanner to fix. 

If it hasn't had the front bushes and the coupler serviced - ever - now is the time!

And the throttle cable has little crumbly bushings also. 

A Seine gate shifter kit is $ well spent and Wayne's 100 projects book has the best method of adjusting the shifter.

But first things first - find your 5th and reverse - or the tiptronic guys will start trolling you!

If it hasn't had the front bushes and the coupler serviced - ever - now is the time!

And the throttle cable has little crumbly bushings also. 

A Seine gate shifter kit is $ well spent and Wayne's 100 projects book has the best method of adjusting the shifter.

But first things first - find your 5th and reverse - or the tiptronic guys will start trolling you!

Thanks mate . I just had it serviced and everything was replaced. There is an old issue lurking but will be repaired when the engine out service is up . Ive got the book so will try to get it organised tomorrow. Thanks for the info guys , This seems to be my first OH DAMM moment and has come off the back of a fantastic service . 

Ok everyone this is what I know. I removed the centre plate and the four screws. Looked inside and everything is nice and tight. The bolt that connects to the rod right and the Allen key head that connects to the sector is tight also 

Here are two photos of what I can see. I finally found reverse but it was a massive effort and now the other gears seem to be very stiff also. They were perfect yesterday and requires no effort but today it's really a clunk and hard push to be guided in. Just doesn't feel right. 

9F8A64CE-E1B1-43F4-842C-620FE686A5A0_zps

F0B4DA4A-3856-481E-835C-C6284D963873_zps

Also on my last service I had the gear box selector coupling bushes replaced and gear box selector plate. Don't know if that means much but as I said it was running sweet. Now not so much  

Steve,

Bugger!

Is it easy to pull the rubber boot up the gear stick so you can see the top of the pawl plate that is just above the gear stick pivot?  Just check the two vertical tangs are undistorted and the matching tang on the stick fits over them easily when selecting 5th and reverse.  To check the stick and linkage is operating OK you'll need to put the car in neutral and slacken the bolt on the coupler so that it can act independently to the gearbox temporarily.

Do you know why the gearbox selector plate was replaced?  (Just seems an odd thing to replace and just possibly the fork that bolts to it on the inside may have been inadvertently left loose when  reassembled.  If that's the case it would be best not to drive it until it's retightened.)

(Another thing to confirm is that your clutch is operating properly isn't it?  Not to much free play?  Just say this as 99.9% of problems with selecting 1st and reverse is due to the clutch dragging due to maladjustment.  Just to be sure...)  

Archived