The 944 Racer Project

Airhead

There a few build threads on here with projects being shown off and explained so I thought it was time I added mine. While not as fancy as some and maybe the 911 clan might not be interested, here it is anyway.

I purchased this car some years ago with the intention to turn it into a race car. It is a RHD Hamilton’s delivery 1984 944.

944%20Race%20Car%20003_zpsrjnf5i7y.jpg

944%20Race%20Car%20004_zpspp2b0krn.jpg

First job was to pull the interior trim out and strip off the sound deadener. Always a great job.  I had a full cage welded in and painted the interior. 

944%20Race%20Car%20015_zpsdcle3lhd.jpg

944%20Race%20Car%20021_zpswb2mwmic.jpg

I did a few other jobs – fitted Perspex windows and a one piece dash, door and floor panels made and installed and purchased a few parts.

944%20Race%20Car%20012_zps3o3vwejz.jpg

944%20Race%20Car%20014_zpsjlcmkbwu.jpg

944%20Race%20Car%20019_zpsa6mhdkxg.jpg

thought what about the wheel?

Yeah. I know. New one on the way as we speak.

Anyway. Finally last year I decided it was time it was finished but I didn’t have time to do it all myself. I spoke with Shaun at Jocaro and we decided on a plan and a price to move it towards getting it on track. A heap of bits were purchased and fitted. The old suspension was pulled and discarded and a full 944 Challenge coil over set up with custom A arms installed.

7_zps8ukitvyk.jpg

6_zpsam6avldo.jpg

This car is LOW………….

DSC_0292_zpsramc76kf.jpg

The engine was checked out and given a new set of bearings and a few special tricks applied. All good. An aluminium custom radiator was fitted along with a modified Mazda RX8 oil cooler. A different to standard (read better) flywheel and clutch was fitted.  New race discs and pads fitted, calipers rebuilt, new bearings and seals done on all corners. Then a host of little bits that needed doing and replacing was done as befits a car that has been sitting for so long. Some time and $$ later ace mechanic Darren had worked his magic. Shaun gives me a call " The car's ready."

1%20%20At%20Jocarro_zps8pwswb4v.jpg

I returned the car to my home garage  to finish off. The list was still fairly long.

DSC_0282_zpsmilflrlh.jpg

What where you running in group s?  (I run a 69 911e in Sb)

What series is the 944 being built for?

Red Triumph TR6 No. 41

Sandown%20Nov%202015%20-%20Copy_zpshbbiy

Just going to run it in sprints and 6 Hour relays at this stage.

Solid or semi solid mounted transaxel?

Not sure what they've done there. Need to have a look.

Yeah. I know. New one on the way as we speak.

Anyway. Finally last year I decided it was time it was finished but I didn’t have time to do it all myself. I spoke with Shaun at Jocaro and we decided on a plan and a price to move it towards getting it on track. A heap of bits were purchased and fitted. The old suspension was pulled and discarded and a full 944 Challenge coil over set up with custom A arms installed.

7_zps8ukitvyk.jpg

This car is LOW………….

Nice project.  I'm interested in the "droppers" installed on the lower control arm and tie rod end.  I saw them on a Rennlist thread:

http://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/900832-bump-steer.html

and wondered if they would be legal for road use, and if so, where do you source them?

I'm interested in the "droppers" installed on the lower control arm and tie rod end. 

Hi Rob. Not sure about street legal. Try Rod Smith Racing http://www.rodsmithracing.com/

Looks great mate, nice to see some more content in here.

Coming............

With a couple of weeks off work over Christmas most days were spent working on the car.

A couple of extra gauges were added to the dash and I tidied up the new wiring loom, switch panel and mounted the fuse box on the dash.

DSC_0440_zpsmcetva0k.jpg

Seat mounts were bought and modified to suit. This was a bit tricky as the support cross bar in the cage was coming into contact with my helmet when the seat was fitted on runners in the standard position. It needed to be on runners as SWLTDF is also going to drive and being somewhat shorter than me needs a sliding seat so she can reach the pedals. I had to reverse the mounting brackets and widen the mounting points to get the base of the seat to sit lower so it would suit me, but still be able to slide forward. I think we’ll need a foam filled insert in there as well for the short one. The harness crutch straps are on a bar under the seat so it slides with it.

DSC_0441_zpscpbyjo6n.jpg

I didn’t want to paint the car as it’s Ok for a race car but the front bumper needed some repair. I decided to try some of that spray on vinyl wrap type paint in a contrast red. After fitting the lights and a tow strap this is how it looks.

DSC_0439_zpsxynaiywk.jpg

Next I had to fabricate an air filter set up behind the left headlight position.

DSC_0433_zpscyywsuoh.jpg

DSC_0435_zpsvaahvkjt.jpg

DSC_0444_zpsmgm6gjrf.jpg

Battery box made up last weekend and mounted on the passenger side floor. Keeping the weight low and central.

The Wolf computer mounts in front of the battery. It's off getting tweaked at the moment.

DSC_0470_zpsafuxk8ji.jpg

Cams spec roll cage padding installed to protect my delicate head.

DSC_0491_zpsm3mvgjfl.jpg

That battery worries me.  I know it's screwed down, but I wouldn't want that flying around my cabin in the unfortunate event of an impact and roll-over.  Hopefully it's not a lead-acid one, although it does look like one...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived