Newbie - please be gentle

JB

Hi All,

Great forum, first time poster. A bit about me, 41 years old Porsche nut since I was about 10, have been involved directly and indirectly in porches for many years, as well as motorsport across Cars and Motor Bikes for 25 odd years. Have driven most models available, and owned a couple, however with a wife, kids and house the desire for another one in the driveway has eluded me for the past 10 odd years.

I have a large knowledge around Porsche's but would love to be able to apply that to my own. This year I have decided that getting a 911 is back on the agenda however my dream car 993 seems to be becoming out of my reach. I went to the launch of the 993 when I was young and I decided at that point that I had to have one some point in my life, who would know that they would become the last of the aircooled and an icon of the old shape. I am having buyers regret now, not taking up the opportunity 3 years ago to buy a 993 as I passed up on couple at that time and went the sensible domestic route with a land rover which I love.

Can anyone shed light on what has happened with prices of 911's recently? In  particular 993's which have quadrupled on the likes of Turbo's and S? if i cannot find the right 993 (price driver) then next option is a 997 S or 4S.

Thanks all hope that provides a little about myself, look forward to contributing into the future.

Cheers

Jonathan (JB)

Hi Jonathan, welcome aboard.  Great bunch on here.  I met a few of the Melbourne members when I was over there in November.  Top bunch of blokes. For Victorians.:lol:

The prices have gone nuts over the past couple of years.  Prices generally seem to reflect each model's level of supply & demand, coupled with collectability I guess.  All us guys that wanted a 911 when we were kids can now afford to have one.  Lucky I got mine when I did, because I don't think I'd be able to buy one in the current market.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I still cannot get my head around 993 prices  and why in particular they have quadrupled on something like the turbo, hopefully for my sake they come down, as i need to find the balance initially for the first few years on something i can utilise daily in traffic etc based on my circumstances, hence why i have removed anything older, even though i prefer anything up to the late 90's before the 996. wanting to stay around the $100k mark but may stretch for the right car.

Chris, thanks for letting me know, my preference is a manual as i am old school, yours sounds very reasonable, i would consider a conversion but if i can secure a 993 it will be 'the one' to keep not to be sold down the track, and any purchases into the future post will be an accumulation.

Tomo i agree however the 993 still has what i call the traditional door frames and characteristics etc and that well known clunk when you shut the doors as per the older generation, was the 993 that much vastly different from it's predecessors?

have attached a couple of much older pics from my time in the UK.

cheers

Jonathan

The interiors were basicly the same, bar new door cards, motor had a different induction and exhaust  system which pumped it up 25 BHP the car is bigger, all the wings are different,along with a new suspension setup. 

This picture should answer your questions:K-Roll's Porsche 911 Generational Comparison: 993 vs 964

If I ever get a job at Porsche designing 911's my first task would be to get a 964 and a 993, cut them in half and stick the rear end of the 993 onto the front end of a 964--and in my humble opinion that would be the perfect looking 911. 

and welcome to the forum jb.

What happened to the price?  Well, everyone saw what an awesome car the 993 turbo is and decided they better get one before it was too late.  Big rush for the few that are around...predictable result.

993 and 964 defy gravity in Oz because of inability to easily import one, coupled with not-so-great economy in Oz from early to mid 90s.  Low supply, not getting any bigger and plenty of people coming back to the earlier models as the newer ones feature and size bloat.

still the upside is that you'll probably never see depreciation with a nice 993 once you choke on the entry price.

Welcome JB, and you won't go too far wrong with a nice 993 over the years....

""What happened to the price?  Well, everyone saw what an awesome car the 993 turbo is and decided they better get one before it was too late.  Big rush for the few that are around...predictable result.""

Awesome yes but not that awesome! Big rush, hardly....

The 6 on carsales have been sitting there like that for 2 to 3 months - except this one, that sat there 2 months from Autohaus hamilton at $389000 and then "sold" and popped up 3 or 4 days later 2 weeks ago, at another NSW dealer $10000 more!: http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-1996/OAG-AD-12164360/?Cr=5

What's with that?

If I ever get a job at Porsche designing 911's my first task would be to get a 964 and a 993, cut them in half and stick the rear end of the 993 onto the front end of a 964--and in my humble opinion that would be the perfect looking 911. 

Blue,

I've never thought of the torpedo tubes and the 964 front bumpers as design highpoints.  If you're going to that much effort I'm thinking the backend of any early 911 with the front end from a Alpine A110.  

I reckon Ferry missed an opportunity...

Oh, welcome JB! 

Blue,

I've never thought of the ... 964 front bumpers as design highpoints. 

and that is probably the reason why I don't work as a designer at Porsche. I'm probably on my own with this but I really like the fat lip look of the 964 front end, which is proof there is no accounting for taste. 

Or a Citroen and Porsche marriage? 

Can't wait to see the RS version of this badboy. But on a serious note, can someone please explain to me what would possess someone to create this???? Maybe the devil made him (or her) do it.

citroen_zpsrvnldatc.jpg

and that is probably the reason why I don't work as a designer at Porsche. I'm probably on my own with this but I really like the fat lip look of the 964 front end, which is proof there is no accounting for taste. 

Can't wait to see the RS version of this badboy. But on a serious note, can someone please explain to me what would possess someone to create this???? Maybe the devil made him (or her) do it.

citroen_zpsrvnldatc.jpg

i actually like the cit-porsche. The location of an engine does concern me, however.

Archived