Well I've been busy. Thought I'd give the forum members a heads up on this particular car

FA25B2C3-392F-4C20-AE5E-1349374A3E80_zps

it's been on the market for quite awhile and I think I know now the reason the description in the ad makes it seem like a fabulous buy, but on scratching the surface which I might add was very difficult it appears not so. I love the pasha interior. The colour looks great but the Vin and Engine numbers are not matching and the documentation non-supportive

if the owner seller had been more open much frustration would have been avoidedDB8AA728-638C-4059-8FA3-BE5A24AA3563_zps

i'm just a little dubious when liquid paper is used and on investigation the numbers don't stack up so just giving you all my two cents worth of frustration and wasted time on this 928

cheers Hughesy

Well I've been busy. Thought I'd give the forum members a heads up on this particular car

FA25B2C3-392F-4C20-AE5E-1349374A3E80_zps

it's been on the market for quite awhile and I think I know now the reason the description in the ad makes it seem like a fabulous buy, but on scratching the surface which I might add was very difficult it appears not so. I love the pasha interior. The colour looks great but the Vin and Engine numbers are not matching and the documentation non-supportive

if the owner seller had been more open much frustration would have been avoidedDB8AA728-638C-4059-8FA3-BE5A24AA3563_zps

i'm just a little dubious when liquid paper is used and on investigation the numbers don't stack up so just giving you all my two cents worth of frustration and wasted time on this 928

cheers Hughesy

'BS' in the chassis number should have been a giveaway ;) 

This is a classic example of why I get shitty with these non-disclosure ads ....

It pisses people off, wastes their time and is a sign that the seller is blatently trying to deceive by hiding these important details ....

Sorry it happened to you Hughesy, but unfortunately I don't think it will be the last time .....

I believe that 928 engine and VIN numbers do not match, mine do not and the numbering is very different from engine and VINs. Vin decodes as a 81 model.

That could have been altered (the liquid paper) at time of delivery?

My original engine suffered a terminal bottom end problem I believe a result of overheating in the 90s. Not the car's fault btw.

The new engine is a hot rod built around 2001 from a USA bigger block and parts of 2 other engines. The VIN and Engine # do not match. I should get the paperwork altered to satisfy all the finger waggers. 

Most old cars have histories , if they have actually been driven and not just fondled.

I don't think you'll find a cut and shut 928. That sort of thing seems to be the provence of old beetles 911s.

I believe that 928 engine and VIN numbers do not match, mine do not and the numbering is very different from engine and VINs. Vin decodes as a 81 model.

That could have been altered (the liquid paper) at time of delivery?

Ditto for 944/952s.  As long as the (unaltered) numbers on the paper match the numbers on the VIN plate and engine, I'm happy...

Agree Tazzieman. Your sentiment is accepted. It's just if full disclosure was evident from the start instead of ( let me count them ) 29 texts and only one phone conversation because he won't/can't ??? Talk on phone , then I'd be okay with it , BUT to have to come up with the info myself and drag any response out of seller is just plain WRONG 

I have just been going through a similar issue trying to buy a 3.0 Carrera engine from NZ. 

The engine had been freshened up 15 years ago and has been sitting in his garage since, so it sounded like a gamble on my part, but one I was willing to take at the right price. After agreeing on price, I thought I better double check the engine numbers and case numbers etc, to ensure it was not just an ordinary SC engine. The case numbers were all correct for the C3 but the engine number was for a 2.7???? A closer look at the photo you can tell that the original number has been ground off and a 2.7 number stamped on in its place. The only reason I can think of for putting an inferior engine number on it was because at some stage someone with a blown 2.7 got this stolen 3.0 engine cheap and changed the numbers so rego was nine the wiser. I was really disappointed because even if it was stolen 20 or 30 years ago it is still a stolen engine...

The engine is still for sale on TradeMe so be warned...

Archived