Electronic Rust Protection System

ByronBayChris

Not sure which particular one it was, but a friend who lives in Kingscliff had one fitted to his new Pajero. (doesn't take it on the beach, its used for towing)

After a short while he noticed rust under the back seat (the device is in the engine bay) took it back to the installer only to be told on a vehicle this big????

you need two, one at the front one at the rear!!!!!!!  Kinda goes against the supposed science. However some of the surf life saving clubs have them and 

seem to endorse them. 

I asked a surf club about their opinion once. The answer was, yeah probably but we only keep them 2 years anyway so who knows.

Not much help.

The theory. Corrosion, oxidation occurs when an unprotected metal is exposed to oxygen and moisture. 

I've done some reading on these and asked a few people about these and they all seem to be pretty bogus unfortunately. 

As has been said above lifeguard utes and such are usually sold after 3 years. A few of my friends who are lifeguards have suggested never to purchase an ex-surf patrol car due to them rusting up. 

on another forum I frequent there was a great thread about these, snake oil.

store your car in a garage and wash the salt off after going for a drive would be my approach

Put a garden sprinkler underneath afterwards. That's what i did with L'cruisers I used near the sea.

Was speaking to a guy at a party last Saturday and he said the salty air plays havoc with cars from warm and presumably humid states.

If it's not galvanised there is a recipe for trouble. It's basic chemistry.

I've been fitting aftermarket automotive gear for more than 20 years.

These work. Oil rigs use them. Steel wharfs have them.

I wouldn't buy a cheap one. But I wouldn't buy the most expensive one either.

Make sure the installer understands the system and you are confident with them. Clarify where and how they intend to install the unit before they drill holes and remove paint.

I've been fitting aftermarket automotive gear for more than 20 years.

These work. Oil rigs use them. Steel wharfs have them.

I wouldn't buy a cheap one. But I wouldn't buy the most expensive one either.

Make sure the installer understands the system and you are confident with them. Clarify where and how they intend to install the unit before they drill holes and remove paint.

Which ones would you buy if you lived under the salt ?

Chris start your reading here. http://www.globalcoral.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/InTech-Marine_electrolysis_for_building_materials_and_environmental_restoration.pdf

i suspect in your case Chris given the propensity for your car shed to flood, you'll have more success with an ERP device than most 

Chris start your reading here. http://www.globalcoral.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/InTech-Marine_electrolysis_for_building_materials_and_environmental_restoration.pdf

i suspect in your case Chris given the propensity for your car shed to flood, you'll have more success with an ERP device than most 

bedtime reading, thanks Michel.... I know of one guy here who uses it in his 911 and swears by it.

http://www.shannons.com.au/club/forum/general/electronic-rust-protection-voodoo-hogwash-or-fair-dinkum/

You won't hear any success stories unless the poster was paid to provide it. Cathodic protection works perfectly on ships or steel bridges or metal pipes as long as they are earthed. The earthing provides the circuit completion required for Cathodic (electronic) protection to work and cars aren't earthed. Electronic Rust prevention devices have been banned in the US and Canada after being proven not to work.

You will need much more than an earth strap to properly "earth" a car. Earth straps on cars are there to release the buildup of static charges only, so you don't get zapped opening the door or climbing out. Static charges have huge voltages and can leap the air gap and the momentary contact that an earth strap has with the ground. To really earth a car you need to attach it electrically to a metal rod plunged deep into the ground or have a metal-metal connection to some rail on the road....Ain't gunna happen. And then you still need the sacrificial anode. Placebo is too kind a description for this quackery.

Oils ain't oils and boats ain't cars.

My outboard has a nice fat zinc electrode to trap all the wayward electrons. My boat walks on water. Jesus! Probably the electrons acting like some sort of reverse magnet , or something.

Archived