Water pump failure - engine rebuild?

JR80911

Hi all.  Need some advice.  Travelling down the Hume last night and my battery light came on.  Kept driving for about 20 Kay's.  The temp light came on.  Slowed down and limped the car home (40km/h) to the nearest rest stop.

Had the car towed back ($500 from Wallan - ouch) and had a bit of a root around.  From what I could see, the water pump pulley failed.  This resulted in the fan belt coming off and the resultant generator and then temp issues.

After I pulled over last night, after about an hour after the issue, I thought I would start her up again just to see whether it would.  And it fired up.  So I don't think it's totally ceased.

My question is whether all I'm up for is the water pump replacement or is this likely to result in engine rebuild!??

Or, is this all too difficult until the Porsche guys look through. 

Would be grateful for your experiences and wisdom because this is likely to end my relationship with Porsches.  And before you go there, yes, I know.  This was not really an issue with the old ones! :wacko:

Can't comment specifically on 996's but suggest you check the oil for coolant contamination and if OK replace the pump (I assume the pump bearing seized and this caused the pulley to disintegrate?), put on a new belt and top up the coolant.  Start it up and listen.  If it sounds OK drive it and see how you go as you really can't do any further damage that what you have done already.

But really, driving it over 20km at freeway speed without the water pump working isn't conducive to the health of your wallet and I really think you're on borrowed time with this engine now.  Hope I'm wrong.......   

The fact it is still running to me is a good sign. I have had a few cars now (not P cars though), which for one reason or another, drove for a time without water in them, and as long as cold water wasn't added to a hot engine (seen it happen, not pretty) they were fine.

Talking generally, you would normally expect this treatment and loss of coolant to warp the cylinder head and lead to the head gasket failing in most car engines.  When the gasket fails it often allows coolant to enter an oil gallery and this contaminates the oil in the sump. (The oil will eventually go milky when contaminated.)  The fix is normally a new head or having the old head skimmed to restore the flatness of the gasket face and a new head gasket installed and importantly fixing the cause of the overheating in the first place.

As for 996, I don't specifically know how they fail when overheated and what's involved in the repair.  Surely you're not the first to do this and it might be worth a Google search to see how others have fared in similar circumstances.

If you didn't lose much coolant you may be lucky and can ignore the above. 

Good luck! 

Actually I've not lost any coolant. And the heads were just recently done by Porsche. Which is why I'm a little pissed....but also hopeful. If that's even possible all at the same time!

No coolant loss is a good sign however the coolant in the heads may have been well boiled from the lack of movement.

An oil and filter change would be an absolute must as well it would seem when the new water pump is installed.

I would repair it then run it and look for leaks you may have just dodged a bullet but i'm no expert.

Definitely an oil & filter, new coolant & new pump. To confirm any visible damage get a bores cope done since you haven't seen any oil coolant mix. If the bore scope turns up no damage then it looks like you've been lucky.

This might sound a bit nasty but any damage isn't because it's a Porsche. The car warned you something was wrong well before any damage was done but you ignored it, it then warned you further when the temp light came on and you still continued to drive it to get to the next town. So if it does turn out fine, don't get rid of it, just take a different course of action next time something like this happens. ;)

If we were talking face to face, it wouldn't sound nasty so I apologise for not being able to convey my words well. :) The words you chose made it sound like you were pissed at the car. "likely to end my relationship with Porsches", "time to move on after the pump is done." If the car is buggered, by all means get rid of it, but if it's otherwise fine, continue enjoying the great car you have. Fingers crossed she's survived ok and back on the road in no time.

No. Not pissed off at the car.  I've ruined enough cars to know that it's the fault of the owner not the car! Lol.

I should perhaps outline my words more clearly too - it's likely to end my relationship with Porsches because I would not be able to afford to keep it!

Lol my bad, well good luck with it. Not sure where you're taking it but Jocaro have had plenty of experience with 996s including destroyed ones if you're looking for someone to look at it.

Good news everyone. Did not need engine rebuild. Apparently the tensioners were fine. I also found out that I could have used the Porsche tow service who picked up my car and took it to Brighton! Thank you for all your advice. I think the secret is, when the alarms go off, pull over ASAP. Lol. 

Did they do a compression test ?

Rings tend to lose tension when overheated …….. sorta like women.  When they get overheated the ring falls off and ends up costing a fortune :lol:

Good news everyone. Did not need engine rebuild. Apparently the tensioners were fine. I also found out that I could have used the Porsche tow service who picked up my car and took it to Brighton! Thank you for all your advice. I think the secret is, when the alarms go off, pull over ASAP. Lol. 

Congratulations on the bullet dodged,instead of a light on the dash,maybe a spike in the bum would be more effective.

Archived