Permaguard - anyone got any experience with it?

Bardman

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd bump this after a recent conversation with a sales man at Nick Theodossi.   They do permagard paint protection in their dealership and told me its Porsche's go-to and is far superior to a Ceramic Coating.  Sounded like sales speeeek to me... so thought I'd come here and see what you guys think.

8 minutes ago, amanda said:

Thought I'd bump this after a recent conversation with a sales man at Nick Theodossi.   They do permagard paint protection in their dealership and told me its Porsche's go-to and is far superior to a Ceramic Coating.  Sounded like sales speeeek to me... so thought I'd come here and see what you guys think.

They tried to flog it to us when we got the 981 from them.  Our local gun detailer just quoted me $1300 for paint correction and coating, from memory the Nick T price was something like $2800??

Peter

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

They tried to flog it to us when we got the 981 from them.  Our local gun detailer just quoted me $1300 for paint correction and coating, from memory the Nick T price was something like $2800??

Peter

Hey Peter... oh your wife's 981 is a NT car is it?  I live around the corner from them.  

I wouldn't trust them or any dealer to do it properly to be honest, heard too many horror stories.  In fact the BMW Paint shop in Port Melbourne has just put halos into my paint work with some over zealous polishing on my bonnet I now need to get fixed from my detailer guy that applied the ceramic coating. Building a relationship with a gun detailer is a much better idea than paying these dealer prices. 

2 minutes ago, amanda said:

Hey Peter... oh your wife's 981 is a NT car is it?  I live around the corner from them.  

I wouldn't trust them or any dealer to do it properly to be honest, heard too many horror stories.  In fact the BMW Paint shop in Port Melbourne has just put halos into my paint work with some over zealous polishing on my bonnet I now need to get fixed from my detailer guy that applied the ceramic coating. Building a relationship with a gun detailer is a much better idea than paying these dealer prices. 

We were quite happy with them - they were good to deal with, we screwed them pretty hard  as the car had been there for something like 3 months, but it was the colour Dianne wanted (dark blue, believe me it is almost as bad as black....), and they came to the party to stop us looking further.  Got @Dave Brennan to do the PPI for us - NT were quite happy for him to do his thing out in the area next to the show room

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

We were quite happy with them - they were good to deal with, we screwed them pretty hard  as the car had been there for something like 3 months, but it was the colour Dianne wanted (dark blue, believe me it is almost as bad as black....), and they came to the party to stop us looking further.  Got @Dave Brennan to do the PPI for us - NT were quite happy for him to do his thing out in the area next to the show room

I haven't bought from them (yet)  but have always found them to be really good.  The few times I've tried a trade in - they've offered a trade in price for my car way better than any other dealer has (like $5k better in some cases)  i realise they have the markup to play with, however they don't BS and move forward quickly to lock in a deal. They don't waste anyone's time with this approach. 

Please note, dealers do not know what they are selling with coatings. Once sold two things will happen. 

They either send it out to a third party to be done, or get it slapped on in-house by someone unqualified.

doenst matter what the brand it’s all in the prep. If the prep is bad and the application is poorly done then you can have the best product in the industry it still won’t last or look as it should.  Spent plenty of time rectifying poor coatings.

Good luck 

We had Permagard applied on a new Mercedes Benz 4 years ago from the dealer.  The car is black and a country car with over 80,000 kms now and while it was good for a few years it gradually wears away and loses it hydrophobic qualities as time passes.  No different to any other ceramic coating that I have seen and while it has been good I would think using a detailer to correct paint and apply a ceramic coating after purchase would save you plenty of $$$$.  

We purchased a new VW Polo for our daughter recently and I machine polished and applied GTechniq Crystal Serum Light topped with GTechniq EXO V4 which was pretty straightforward to use.  It probably took 8 hours all up to do and cost under $300 including pads and polish.  The results were awesome and it beads and repels the dirt like the Permagard did when it was new.  Any future cars will get the same treatment. 

• 1 month later...

Polymer resin products like this have a 3 year life on a vehicle, and are far inferior to true ceramic coatings which are much harder. 

The salesman is just trying to sell you a product which, as others have pointed out, he knows nothing about and which will either be slapped on a washed down car in an hour or shipped elsewhere, where admittedly a better job may be done. But it wont get over the hugely inflated price tag for an inferior product. I could point you at a similar kit that would cost you $60-70 for example.

Ideally, I'd recommend that you ask your favourite detailer to prep the car for you at the dealership, and apply a ceramic coating there, before it does any road miles. Just ask the dealer to take off the plastic etc and leave it, do nothing more. 

Or take it home and do it yourself with something like this: http://raceglaze.com.au/9h-ceramic-glass-coat-kit/