987.2 Engine Bay clean.

red clubbie

Guys,

I've had my car about 3 months now and I've never cleaned the Engine Bay, so I thought it was about time I did.

Being mid engine and inside the car, it presents it's own group of problems.

1. I had to tape up the inside cabin with plastic sheeting to stop water entering the car.

014_zpsreijmlxs.jpg

015_zpsjck25xqs.jpg

2. I'm not sure the last time it was cleaned, but it was pretty dirty. 

016_zpslsunnmvx.jpg

3. I lightly rinsed the engine bay with a hose and then sprayed Simple Green and a Degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes.

4. I then agitated with brushes and then rinsed off the degreaser.

5. I wiped the excess water off and then used my Blaster Sidekick blower to dry out all the nooks and crannies. It works a treat.

6 I then started the car and let it idle for about 5 minutes to further dry the bay.

7. I then sprayed on "303" to dress the engine bay, let it sit and then wiped off the excess with a MF towel.

017_zpsh0aullvf.jpg

018_zpstix55es3.jpg

019_zpsf96hkrsa.jpg

It's a shame no one can see it, but I know it's nice and clean.....

Cheers,

Geoff.  

Good job. I think very few people clean the engines on 987s. Its the old "out of sight, out of mind" thing. 

Number 4 in your process raised a smile!. "I then agitated with brushes". That's the talk of someone who has been hanging around proper detailing forums. Detailing World was my choice and I've stuck with it. 

It starts with the two-bucket-method, and moves rapidly towards buffing machines, sealant vs wax, and swirl detection. Before you know it, you're considering buying some of this!

swissvax-crystal-rock-wax-2.jpg

Good job. I think very few people clean the engines on 987s. Its the old "out of sight, out of mind" thing. 

Number 4 in your process raised a smile!. "I then agitated with brushes". That's the talk of someone who has been hanging around proper detailing forums. Detailing World was my choice and I've stuck with it. 

It starts with the two-bucket-method, and moves rapidly towards buffing machines, sealant vs wax, and swirl detection. Before you know it, you're considering buying some of this!

swissvax-crystal-rock-wax-2.jpg

Ha Ha....you've picked me like a nose....

I've spent some time on Detailing World Forum and I've won a few Concours Events in my time.

I haven't reached the Crystal Rock stage yet....:D :D :D

Nicely done.. perhaps a clear perspex cover?

Mike,

I did think about it after I finished the detail...all that effort and no one will see it.

But I'm keeping mods to a minimum.

It's going in next week for some exhaust work, so I'm looking forward to that.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Do share.. what exhaust work?

Mike,

I'm getting Autohaus Hamilton to do some mods to the rear mufflers.

It's similar to the Carnewal GT exhaust and the thing I like about it is, that it retains the original mufflers, with the internals changed.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Mike,

It's similar to the Carnewal GT exhaust and the thing I like about it is, that it retains the original mufflers, with the internals changed.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Good choice. It was my Carnewal that Grant and the boys heard when I took the Cayman in for a service about a year ago. They had no idea why I was paying them to take off a stock exhaust, and fit...a stock exhaust!. Until they fired it up. My ears hear 1970's 911 and unless it's pissing down with rain, my windows are down. 

Good choice. It was my Carnewal that Grant and the boys heard when I took the Cayman in for a service about a year ago. They had no idea why I was paying them to take off a stock exhaust, and fit...a stock exhaust!. Until they fired it up. My ears hear 1970's 911 and unless it's pissing down with rain, my windows are down. 

Good to hear....

As Grant explained it to me, they do a very similar mod as Carnewal do.

As I said, I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Good to hear....

As Grant explained it to me, they do a very similar mod as Carnewal do.

As I said, I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Geoff.

I had autohaus do my 986 S exhaust about a month or so ago (maybe a bit linger). Happy with the results. Nice low end noise and no droning on the freeway.

At least it now sounds more like it should. I will be keen on your comments once done.

baso, can I ask what Autohaus charged for the exhaust mods? I have a 987S Cayman and want to do the same..

Mike,

Cheers,

Geoff.

Any idea of cost, how long it will take?

baso, can I ask what Autohaus charged for the exhaust mods? I have a 987S Cayman and want to do the same..

They want the car for about 4 days.

I'll let you know cost once it's done.

Cheers,

Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I've had my car about 3 months now and I've never cleaned the Engine Bay, so I thought it was about time I did.

Being mid engine and inside the car, it presents it's own group of problems.

1. I had to tape up the inside cabin with plastic sheeting to stop water entering the car.

014_zpsreijmlxs.jpg

015_zpsjck25xqs.jpg

2. I'm not sure the last time it was cleaned, but it was pretty dirty. 

016_zpslsunnmvx.jpg

3. I lightly rinsed the engine bay with a hose and then sprayed Simple Green and a Degreaser and let it sit for a few minutes.

4. I then agitated with brushes and then rinsed off the degreaser.

5. I wiped the excess water off and then used my Blaster Sidekick blower to dry out all the nooks and crannies. It works a treat.

6 I then started the car and let it idle for about 5 minutes to further dry the bay.

7. I then sprayed on "303" to dress the engine bay, let it sit and then wiped off the excess with a MF towel.

017_zpsh0aullvf.jpg

018_zpstix55es3.jpg

019_zpsf96hkrsa.jpg

It's a shame no one can see it, but I know it's nice and clean.....

Cheers,

Geoff.  

Speaking of perspex covers what about this one.....

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/cayman-cosmetic-mods/p289-hip-design-transparent-engine-cover.html

sorry - been asleep at the wheel .....

price was around $1,200 from memory - better option financially than a new one for me.

In terms of time I had mine done in the midst of their move, so a bit longer, but was in no hurry

I was talking to James today, mostly about brakes, but also asked about the exhaust mod for my 987.2 Boxster S.

Was quoted 2 weeks and $880. Not really an option for me, as I'd have to get someone to remove and disassemble the exhaust have the car off the road for 2 weeks, then find someone to put it back on.

I was talking to James today, mostly about brakes, but also asked about the exhaust mod for my 987.2 Boxster S.

Was quoted 2 weeks and $880. Not really an option for me, as I'd have to get someone to remove and disassemble the exhaust have the car off the road for 2 weeks, then find someone to put it back on.

Picked up the Cayman yesterday with the new exhaust mod done.....sounds great.

Grant said it will take a few hundred k's to sound even better.

Diggin, he said the mod takes 3 days to complete.

Cheers,

Geoff.

How much Geoff?  if you don't mind me asking....

$1200. $800 for the exhaust and $400 to clean,take off, refit and new gaskets.

Compared to the cost of other aftermarket systems, it's pretty reasonable.

The thing I like about it, is that when you look at it, it looks stock.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff, I am thinking of getting a bit of noise for mine.  

I am going to get a quote from PCM for their system, which I'm sure will scare me.

But $1200.00 is a fair enough price.    Might mean a drive to that god forsaken state for a couple of days R&R....

I would also have to find out how it effects my extended warranty with PCM..

Archived