Engine won't turn

rafikdous

Question for a friend of mine

Car is a 1976S manual

Was driving fine and strong. He took it to a mechanic to drop the engine/gearbox out in preparation for a body resto

Engine/gearbox is still one piece

He wanted to adjust the tappets but can't turn the engine (either way) at all now. Plugs are off and gearbox in neutral

Any ideas? Again, this was running fine only 3 or 4 weeks ago

Thanks

If you are lucky it could be a seized starter motor that is still engaged in the flywheel, not sure if it can happen with a P t/m but could be holding 2 gears even though the stick is in neutral, otherwise it could be ugly :(

I would check that the selector shaft at the rear of the transmission is not bent, it can be damaged when performing an engine drop and potentially keeping the trans in gear thus may not be letting the engine rotate. Worth a look.

I agree the best advice is to take the box off since the engine is out. I had an issue with my 73 E where it jammed in reverse gear, you could start the engine but with clutch depressed, Problem was rectified by removing inspection cover and tweaking selector that had sliped into no mans land.

• 2 weeks later...

Turning ugly. Gearbox off, no joy. Timing chain gear checked, no joy. Heads off, no joy

Looks like he has to split the case. Very odd. Was running fine before it was dropped

I trust his mechanic has insurance?

Splitting the case sounds drastic, unless the engine was dropped from a height I can't see what could cause a seizure.

I assume they have checked all the ancillaries for simple things like bolt in the alternator or jammed distributor or nut jammed behind flywheel?

working from first principles it should be something done during removal which generally means a bolt or screw where it shouldn't be or something misaligned.

Hate to say it but was it driven by someone at the shop 

I always get a speedo reading when dropping off my car 

It may not have been but you still need to eliminate all possibilities 

Really hope its something simple

I trust his mechanic has insurance?

Splitting the case sounds drastic, unless the engine was dropped from a height I can't see what could cause a seizure.

The bill will probably cause a seizure

Archived