Ahem. Back to the white 951 (before some interloping 928 somehow got past the bouncers at the door...)

If I'd bought that car, I wouldn't spend $6K getting the head rebuilt.

Instead:

(a) Undo lots of plumbing.

(b) Unbolt old head. Throw away.

(c) Bolt on replacement rebuilt head with a new HG ordered from US shop (e.g., 944 online sell them for $895).

(d) Redo lots of plumbing

Voila! And I'm sure I'd have *lots* of change left over for other goodies from a $6K budget, even after shipping...

If it wasn't a UK car, I'd have been seriously tempted...

tempted

Porsche 944 turbo - 1986 Aussie delivered. Books and service history on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1140979994?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Looks like it's still got the original stereo cassette player installed!

$50K for an early turbo? Hmm, let's see...

Maybe not. :P (Even with original cassette player...)

He's got cojones for asking, though.

One of the blokes on here has looked at the LHD Turbo and said it was a bit ordinary...

tempted

Porsche 944 turbo - 1986 Aussie delivered. Books and service history on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1140979994?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

Maybe in a year when there are no turbos to buy on the market he may well get this price...... I still think even getting into the $40's in a little optimistic for a 944 unless it is an Australian delivered Turbo S in the right colour as they are arguably the most desirable and someone with money will "just want it". Mid to high $30's and he would probably sell it this weekend. We said the same thing about the $58k car and it is still unsold. $50k is too much for a 944 right now, any 944 (in my opinion). Give it a year and it may be the average price for one, I don't know. 

Has anyone got to the PPI stage with the left hooker?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-3973254

it's got to be worth a look, I was tempted at one stage. Surely you could have it in your garage for under 20? Who cares if it's a bit ordinary, it's a Porsche and a turbo!!!!!!! For that sort of money you have to expect to have problems like oil leaks etc etc. if you expect it to be like new, go buy a new car

it's got to be worth a look, I was tempted at one stage. Surely you could have it in your garage for under 20? Who cares if it's a bit ordinary, it's a Porsche and a turbo!!!!!!! For that sort of money you have to expect to have problems like oil leaks etc etc. if you expect it to be like new, go buy a new car

Not really. I have limited garage space, and a LHD 944 just isn't going to be taking up space in there, even at under $20K.

Actually, not even if I had the garage space. Too many nice cars, not enough time!

I think a LHD Turbo listed at over $20K is still well over the odds, and the fact it hasn't shifted in all these months (even though a LHD is a challenge to shift in any case) supports that.

OTOH, I think given the current strength of the market for more desirable examples, a $50K Turbo S certainly would not be out of the question for a nice example. The thing is, how many of these nice examples are coming on the market to test the theory? And the ones that do come on the market are snapped up so fast that one tends to think that they aren't being sold at their full sales potential. I'm guessing we will be seeing $40-something prices for nice example early Turbos and S2s this year...

tempted

Gone upmarket - it's on CarSales now...  Not much info or pics for asking $50k for an '86 944T

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4596667?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

Gone upmarket - it's on CarSales now...  Not much info or pics for asking $50k for an '86 944T

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4596667?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

I often wonder if people who only advertise on gumtree, particularly when over-priced, are really serious about selling their vehicles. But if it's on carsales, and costs real money, I tend to think they are more serious.

I agree about the lack of pics/info though. Not the way to sell at a premium.

Gumtree , car sales, IG tinder Ehamony ...little to no difference IMO on the sellers end, all in the minds eye of the buyer 

as for a 50k ad very sartorial and fur is making a come back this winter.

Though currently one of how many ? 

Edited by michel

Gumtree , car sales, IG tinder Ehamony ...little to know difference IMO on the sellers end, all in the minds eye of the buyer 

To me, an overpriced car ad on gumtree (or any free-to-advertise) with few pics and less info is the selling equivalent of tyre-kicking.

as for a 50k ad very sartorial and fur is making a come back this winter.

What?

I'm not anticipating too much of a rush .... just like the other listed cars ..... waaaay overpriced!!!

But we are entitled to ask whatever we want for our things ..... it's whether someone wants to pay ....

OTOH, I think given the current strength of the market for more desirable examples, a $50K Turbo S certainly would not be out of the question for a nice example. The thing is, how many of these nice examples are coming on the market to test the theory?

I spoke too soon. And the asking price at $54K is firm! The perfect experiment - time to test the theory...

Any bets on how long this lasts?

I'll start -- I'll say two weeks.

It will sit there with it's red $58k partner, and $96k S2 brother for a long, long time, that's my guess. 

Turbo's and S2's being advertised regularly in the $40k's this year, I'm betting less likely.......... People with those aspirations will see these cars sit here for a loooonnnngg time, then something comes on the market and sells in a day at $30k. You couldn't be serious about a sale to price a turbo or S2 in the $40k's unless it was a turbo S or had something else that made it very special. 

Then what?

If it doesn't sell within two weeks, I'm wrong about my guess of the current market strength for these models.

Mind, you, I just noticed the seller is in Ballarat, which is going to put something of a damper on interstate buyers in particular.

Turbo's and S2's being advertised regularly in the $40k's this year, I'm betting less likely.......... People with those aspirations will see these cars sit here for a loooonnnngg time, then something comes on the market and sells in a day at $30k. You couldn't be serious about a sale to price a turbo or S2 in the $40k's unless it was a turbo S or had something else that made it very special. 

Given that the last nice example S2 sold for $35K after two days, I don't see $40K+ for a particularly nice S2 or early Turbo as a bridge too far. Turbo S gets a premium on top of that, which is why I think about $50K could be the limit there.

If it doesn't sell within two weeks, I'm wrong about my guess of the current market strength for these models.

Mind, you, I just noticed the seller is in Ballarat, which is going to put something of a damper on interstate buyers in particular.

Believe me when I tell you that the location of a car will have absolutely no bearing on the sale .... if someone wants a car badly enough location doesn't matter ..... 

Many cars have been bought sight unseen from the furthest reaches of the country .... has to be priced right though ....

Believe me when I tell you that the location of a car will have absolutely no bearing on the sale .... if someone wants a car badly enough location doesn't matter ..... 

Why is these days that it when anyone starts a sentence with the words "Believe me..." I almost never believe what follows?

Why is these days that it when anyone starts a sentence with the words "Believe me..." I almost never believe what follows?

I'll remember that for next time so you have more reason to believe me ....

But in the mean time ..... you can believe me  .... :lol:

It will be a slow sell, personally I think the kms will slow it down, it's desirable to a lot of people in that spec, I heard there were 13 of these in the country but this seller is saying 10, anyone else want to have a stab.

This is the first turbo with this spec we have seen on the market for at least 2 yrs maybe more.

Let the games begin.

I think if one is spending  $54k, a flight to do a once over won't stop most people.

If nothing else it's got all the 944 owners talking them down, me not understand.