Orange 9146

Airhead

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Lovely Car, what is its History? Factory 914-6 LHD/RHD?

No RHD 914s were made at the factory.

Norman Hamilton purchased two 914-6 from the factory in 1970 to bring to Australia for evaluation. He shipped a burgundy metalflake one back straight away and it was on the Porsche stand at the Motor show. I have a pic in a magazine somewhere of that car. No idea where it is now.

He drove the other one around Europe for a bit before bringing it back. This blood orange car we believed was that car. The history sheet from PCA says this car came in via Japan as RHD, but we know that it was converted to RHD at the PCA workshops in Noble Park. Alan Hamilton told me that when they did the sums, it wasn’t worth trying to sell these in any numbers here as by the time the conversion was done they would have only been $200 or so cheaper than the 2.2 litre 911T, so they decided not to proceed. Alan drove this car for a bit and then passed it onto his farm manager. Not sure what happened to it after that but Brian Clearihan (who started the 914 Register here) got it some years later and we purchased it from his family a couple of years back.

We now know that this is the car Norman Hamilton purchased as the original rego No. which is still on the car was recently confirmed by one the guys who worked at Porsche back then.

Have you read the articles in excellence magazine about the 914 with a 993 3.6 Build?

Yeah. Serious hot rod that one.

I agree about the garage, great home!!

Thanks. But it's not always that tidy I can assure you.

• 4 months later...

Archived