911 3.2 freshen up

Buchanan Automotive

Guys

Thanks for the numerous responses.  I apologise for my part in turning this engine rebuild story into another oil thread!  I was just expecting a couple of oil product names.

Just a comment though:  I would not consider Valvoline Maxlife 20w-50 to be a "last century" oil as the current type on sale is a synthetic blend, meets the current API classification of SN and ACEA spec A3/B4 and contains a reduced zinc content of only 840ppm.  Very much a modern oil suitable for this century emission equipped cars that typically have low friction valve trains that happen to have run high mileages.

I understand that the previous API classification SL blend had the higher ZDDP many owners seek.

Hi Warren , in regards to the M96/ 97 , there is so much engine destruction info out there ( public forums ) that's its quite overwhelming , I think that sums up the M96/97 & this ( air cooled 911 ) section of this forum is not the place to go into details

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does it get full throttle?

I just saw you're post , do you mean does this engine get full throttle ? ,  or do you mean does this engine experience full throttle driving by the owner over the last 31 years of city /suburban / bumper to bumper driving in thick traffic in Sydney ?

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

I just saw you're post , do you mean does this engine get full throttle ? ,  or do you mean does this engine experience full throttle driving by the owner over the last 31 years of city /suburban / bumper to bumper driving in thick traffic in Sydney ?
Regards
Bruce Buchanan

clamp on butterfly housing boot;)

As a technical question, how do you measure wear in the cam chain sprockets?

Its quite easy when you keep new ones in stock as we do + after 10  years working on Porsche engines one gets very used to just taking one glance at a chain sprocket & instantly recognising something is not quite right , after 20 years its gets even easier , at 40 years its a no brainer 

That said , there are measurements ( comparing new ones ) to old ones , first of all there is the }

A ) Whats known as the caliper diameter , meaning the exact distance across the sprocket from base ( curved base ) to opposite side , comparing new with old

B ) Pitch circle diameter , again  comparing measurements with new to old 

C ) outside diameter , point to point across sprocket , again using the new sprocket as the base measurement / guide

The chain sprockets = 901 105 546 02 /04 ( new ) are worth keeping in stock just for measurement purposes alone if in doubt , plus we sell enough for the poor 911 engines that have suffered the human inspired wrong oil syndrome 

But the most important things one notices ( at a glance ) is the very very obvious excess wear of one side of the individual teeth ( where the chain rollers have not been insulated by the oil well enough and metal to metal contact has allowed uneven wear to occur )  , just like on a dirt bike front chain sprocket 

Then there is the tiny pitting leading up to the point of the sprocket teeth , it may be small , but its a dead giveaway of excessive metal to metal severe contact , again the oil has not been the protective bearing( barrier) between the two metal surfaces, dead giveaway that the poor thing has/had been on a low viscosity low oil film strength so called synthetic engine oil 

Then there is the ( not that uncommon ) 911 chain sprockets not aligned correctly ( incorrect shimming ) and one will see the chain wearing into one side of the sprocket teeth , thats just incorrect alignment & nothing to do with oil 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Great answer thanks.  Chain sprockets are easily inspected with cam covers off.  I guess wear on them might give an indication of wear levels deeper in the engine.

Thats how they were new , all the bright metal work , meaning all the mild steel parts, brackets, pipes , nuts , bolts , washers  etc (that were not painted ) that were on Porsche's , Merc's & BMW's  etc in the 1960's , 1970's 1980's & into the early 1990's  were finished in  "Yellow Chromate "( Hexavalent Chromate ) , that process is no longer done as its illegal ( the process) because its Toxic , so the closest we can get done is yellow / gold zinc plating , looks just the same 

For the last 20 or so years , all we get on new Porsche cars is the dull " Grey " zinc finish ( looks dreadful ) on nuts & bolts & metal brackets 

The original ( 31 year old ) exhaust system was interesting , Sean spent hours on the separate components , bead blasting with some interesting mediums in our own bead blasting tank and hand polishing the rear muffler with special pneumatic tools / pads & hand finishing 

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Buchanan Automotive

as a piece of trivia I think it was  hexavalent chromate that was linked to poisoning in water supply for the movie Erin brokavich.  Used as a coating in the pipes I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. Buchanan Auto,  the engine pics look great and what a job! It must have taken a few manhours to get all that done? But I can't seem to see scrolling through all the commentary what it cost? its definitely great to see it all but can you hit us with some reality,  a financial insight into this work of machinery art?

yours

budget challenged but loves to admire philbee

We were given the privileged opportunity to reseal and freshen up a customers 1985 911 3.2 in the last few months. The main reasons for the tear down was due to oil leaks and some gearbox issues with 2nd through to 4th. While apart it gave us a chance to do a little spring cleaning, bringing the original tinware back to life, getting rid of the stains on the aluminium manifolds and associated sand castings, long with plating every nut, bolt and clamp we could get our hands onto, Also going to town on the exhaust bringing the quality up to the rest of the freshen up. When apart there was very little to do inside as we have run this oil on a 20w50 near birth, Internally there was no wear of the rockers and rocker shafts, zero wear of the cam shaft lobes, no wear of the aluminium intermediate shaft gear and timing chain sprockets. We did however install new chains, guides, big end bearings and chain tensioners. The gearbox had some new dogs,syncs and sliders installed 1st-4th. Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

Regards

Sean

DSC_1253_zpsf03g3qa2.jpg

DSC_1255_zpscpxivyiy.jpg

DSC_1254_zpsikcv0clm.jpg

DSC_1275_zpsjpq4eq3m.jpg

DSC_1294_zpsex2j1rnn.jpg

DSC_1323_zpsxmatwkcb.jpg

DSC_1332_zpsdxw5l1gm.jpg

DSC_1319_zpsntmcyl1w.jpg

DSC_1333_zpsycelhp9p.jpg

DSC_1383_zpsdtobt0ja.jpg

DSC_1409_zpsm7xdywc9.jpg

DSC_1413_zpsxz89zauf.jpg

DSC_1416_zpsf9uqqe7y.jpg

DSC_1427_zps4bzm8lq5.jpg

DSC_1431_zpss97eimig.jpg

DSC_1435_zpszcwmnuwz.jpg

DSC_1445_zpsmkod01uj.jpg

DSC_1465_zpsyzyjyj1f.jpg

DSC_1518_zps017t3v6h.jpg

DSC_1519_zpswpd2h6ml.jpg

DSC_1520_zpshkc4m51w.jpg

DSC_1298_zpsv6kkgqix.jpg

DSC_1336_zpszbtkwq8a.jpg

DSC_1296_zpsv94pqk5j.jpg

Absolutely stunning work, Bruce and Sean!  You are masters of your craft.  Thanks for looking after my old man! 

I'm very keen to take the old girl for a spin! 

I might even need to book my 3.0L SC in for the same treatment.... do you guys do a family discount. ;)

does it get full throttle?

Not during the 27 years I have known the car. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry  guys still have not done the invoice yet. The invoice should be done in a day or 2. If i were to hazard a guess i would say just on 20k for the engine. Im referencing this off our last 3.2 we did but from memory we did hi comp Mahle pistons, Vertex engine fan and a few other no engine related parts.

Regards

Sean

Archived