Heads UP on BP Ultimate

BAFE

Hey guys,

A secret squirrel has just told me that there is a problem with BP Ultimate in Melbourne.

The filters in the pumps are clogging with crap.  At this point they are not sure if the problem is in the fuel, the tankers or the underground tanks at the servos but there have been enough problems for them to halt sales at some stations.

(Side note ~ they are telling the operators to place the blame on BP of course)

I know one station that has had the filters cleaned on their Ultimate pumps 4 times since Christmas

Ever noticed how some times the pumps seem to run slower than normal?  

Thats'a a key indication the filters are close to clogged

So...

If not Ultimate, what do we buy?

My understanding is that unless your car is specially tuned or chipped for 98 octane than it is a waste of money. Inside my filler lid it lists 91 octane as the required fuel.

Correct me if I am wrong-it happens often

My understanding is that unless your car is specially tuned or chipped for 98 octane than it is a waste of money. Inside my filler lid it lists 91 octane as the required fuel.

I believed that with modern cars they can detect the fuel type and adjust the engine mapping accordingly. I will check my owner manual but I seem to recall reading something in there about being optimised to run at 98 Ron (i.e V-Power level) and the engine management auto adjusts if the fuel type is less than that?.

My car is specced to run on US 91 RON. I'm not sure how this equates to Aussie RON values. No bloody good! It needs minimum 98 to run clean. 91 causes it to run-on after switch off & backfire on decell.

Higher RON rating means the fuel can tolerate higher compression before detonation. The ignition timing should ignite the fuel before compression detonation occurs.

Bafe my car pings its head off when I accidentally put 95 in it(has a chip for 98) but runs perfectly on V-power so if it does vary it is not by much. My local is servo is V-power and so always use it but if out n about, I have used Ultimate and performance seems to be the same, as measured but my butt dyno ;)

If 98 is not available,like our local garage, would adding one of our sponsors products i.e. Spyder Venom, to either 95 or at worse case 91 solve the octane issue ?  It supposed to increase the octane rating by 10 points.

Any Spyder boys out there that can shed some light 

My car is specced to run on US 91 RON. I'm not sure how this equates to Aussie RON values. No bloody good! It needs minimum 98 to run clean. 91 causes it to run-on after switch off & backfire on decell.

Higher RON rating means the fuel can tolerate higher compression before detonation. The ignition timing should ignite the fuel before compression detonation occurs.

USA fuel ratings are not RON, rather they are AKI which is the average of RON and MON and typically 4-5 points lower than the equivalent RON.

cheers

Greg

USA fuel ratings are not RON, rather they are AKI which is the average of RON and MON and typically 4-5 points lower than the equivalent RON.

cheers

Greg

Thanks Prof. Greg.

And from the handbook for my car.

B7EB1DA4-FFD8-421C-A6C8-F018D0FEDF5A.jpg

81C66B08-B6C1-47D8-B5D0-20ECB9001A3D.jpg

So, even though the book says 91RON (87CLC) I still need higher in my car.

NB. Porsches says NO ADDITIVES

Thanks Prof. Greg.

And from the handbook for my car.

B7EB1DA4-FFD8-421C-A6C8-F018D0FEDF5A.jpg

81C66B08-B6C1-47D8-B5D0-20ECB9001A3D.jpg

So, even though the book says 91RON (87CLC) I still need higher in my car.

NB. Porsches says NO ADDITIVES

Interesting statement "Porsche recommends not to use any fuel additives"

what if you need to use an octane booster, or have things changed since then ?

Archived