Don't do it, just don't

turboT

AH told me a client came in this week with an early Boxster who engine had shat itself. She was keen for a rebuild, bore out that, suspension this. When they presented a $72k estimate for her list of requests she was all ready to sign up.

They told her no

AH told me a client came in this week with an early Boxster who engine had shat itself. She was keen for a rebuild, bore out that, suspension this. When they presented a $72k estimate for her list of requests she was all ready to sign up.

They told her no

I disagree with this decision ;)

they told me a boxster with broken engine was worth about $4k....

One of this age with a working engine...$14k

the $72k didn't even include a tent...

Did the customer insist on the quote after AH told her the car is worth $4k broken in its current state and about 14 k in is future state after all is fixed or they just left that info out and only divulged that to you.  If no mentioning,  I trust the estimate was done on the back of a postage stamp and they used some parametric modeling to come up with that estimate that took all but  two minutes to put on paper.  If not, perhaps gives an insight into why AH  seek top end of town premiums on their cars.  I.e They need to cover their significantly higher overheads based on piss poor productivity out of their highly ethical employees spending time on non revenue generating tasks.  Or is someone going to tell me its about developing relationships with clients  and customer service and they sold her a 6 Figure P car 30 minutes later after providing the quote

They told her no

It takes integrity to say no in this way. 

It takes integrity to say no in this way. 

I agree.

for the sake of the story I have kept details out, but safe to say they are advising her what might be better to spend her cash on (for alot less). Had a good chat to Grant today about a US 912 I am bringing. Essentially I was sounding out how much i should get done there. His words

"honestly mate it is so much cheaper to get the work done there"

They are good guys. Just trying to make a living and a bit of profit like the rest of us.

one of the P-car mags I was reading this month was talking up the potential future collectability of Gen 1 Boxters

If that is the case, where was  AH's alternative quote for the customer, eg We are concerned with you capital efficiency  over the long term with spending 72k repairing your Boxter.  May we suggest Option 2. If you can come up with storage space,  how about spending your 72k more efficiently on having us source you 4 driveable boxters (nearly one for each day of the week, different colours if you wish) and 2 non driveable Boxters for spare parts.  eg 4 x $14k (4 good conditioned boxters)  +2x $4k (shot engines, but good and cheap source of spare parts) plus 4 k for stamp duties plus 4 k for rego  / insurance = $72k

They told her no

I believe a 997 Cab has been purchase instead... smarter move.

Archived