Helmet art/livery

D-banger

I also believe that car and motorbike helmets are manufactured differently, car is more towards a single heavy impact where as motorbike is for multiple + sliding. This is also why you can't legally use a 'car racing' helmet on a motorbike and also the available vision in a car helmet is limited when compared to a motorbike.

$530 is cheap, my pushie helmet's are more expensive! :rolleyes::D;)

Ya what? Jeebus!

My old Simpson drag race helmet was pretty useless for vision and illegal riding bikes on the road, yet it looked cool

I didn't know motorcycle helmets weren't allowed in car racing, so that's good to know

I had the original Bell Moto as my first helmet as a mini bike kid, and almost every model of the original helmet since.  Moto III is the coolest dirt bike helmet of all time!

I'm sure I saw just the other day somewhere retro re-issues of the moto III.

Rad helmet!

Yes! Here you go: https://www.bellhelmets.com/en_eu/powersports/helmets/moto-3

I also believe that car and motorbike helmets are manufactured differently, car is more towards a single heavy impact where as motorbike is for multiple + sliding. This is also why you can't legally use a 'car racing' helmet on a motorbike and also the available vision in a car helmet is limited when compared to a motorbike.

$530 is cheap, my pushie helmet's are more expensive! :rolleyes::D;)

my understanding , from when I bought my bell , was that the bike helmets are thinner construction because Crashing of a bike is mostly a big hit and then slide. Car helmets are thicker and designed to bash into hard structure multiple times as your head contacts roof , doors,  rolecages etc as it roles over etc till it stops.

either way get the best you can afford and then some.

cheers

Renderings before being actually painted. Amazing detail, and wouldn't like to get the bill afterwards!

promo.png

Want to do something like this on one of my lids

wQBkDPMeJjj9sPsHqW6WfbFNP-WP-sNjQRf8npxW

And this to the $30 Crime Converters Sparco thing I have just for display

Qi7FJFITra5t4-8rWKzxHMPiFZTj1TbF_7ieVRUt

Check out Shoei Gt Air Helmet , if you want a dual purpose one , I have one for my main use and it has nearly as much and if not more visibilty than my Stilo. It has Aus standards and commonly marketed although not always positioned as a general purpose helmet.

I havent read the CAMS rules of late , but im pretty sure there is the DOT testing and then the more important SNELL testing….

The RTA may have their approved list, but I havent been in a country yet where they do not look fondly at SNELL approved hemets for both cars and bikes on the road and track.

Again im no expert but in my recollection I have only painted carbon and kevlar helmets.

Sorry Doug I know you asked about colour!!!!!  You fashionister

Also one big suggestion to go before fashion is function.

The one big thing with full face if your not a hardcore racer is that it can be hard to see harness buckels etc etc if your in an out of cars.. somewhat ..safer but .. for a general track day or kids helmet ..maybe a open face is better .

Open face also lets you communicate better with an instructor and is far more comfortable with the heat ….. you know when your doing  your HOT LAPS WITH THE AIR CON OFF!

I have an import and a local purchased Stilo and neither have australian standards sticker .. not to start a holy war , but I think you find you cannot use motorsport helmets on the road here rather than the other way around.

I agree with the the buy the best you can buy..but I would follow that with by the best that fits you , the best helmets are sometimes funny shapes Shoei and Arai included .

I love the fit of my Arai , Shoei but as you can imagine i got a funny head.  The Stilo also .. removable and washable padding is also a must for me.

So paint away , I cant imagine the glues on stickers are as bad as solvents  and maybe wrap material as it doesnt genrally have adhesive is the best answer.

Beyond all this .. I suggest a crash helmet that your sunglasses fit in to be cooler , maybe , oxygen socket if you get in someones GT3  or CUP car and a ascess to a drink bottle with Margarita in it !!

Dont also forget your Sparco race gloves, suit and shoes…. .. Track day $325 … outfit $2325….  

The ultimate suggestion ,  spend the outfit money on fuel and tyres you will be way way more satisfied I promise.

No cars to kick tyres on this morning drives a man crazy

from CAMS 

http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ05-Schedule-D-2016-1.pdf

Note: Decoration: Decoration of helmets is potentially dangerous, and members are warned of the hazard
of using paint on approved helmets. Paint, stickers
and transfers, or surface treatments can react with helmet shell material and affect its protective capacity; therefore, where a manufacturer provides guidelines or restrictions on the painting or decoration of helmets, these must be followed, using only paint or surface treatment specified by them (eg, air drying acrylic, polyurethane enamel or others) and preferably a painter having their approval. This is particularly important for injection-molded shells which are not usually suitable for painting.

The shell being painted should be efficiently masked as paint penetrating the interior can affect the performance of the helmet liner.

Paints requiring heat curing should not be used and any process should not exceed the maximum temperature of conditioning of the helmet in the standard to which it is approved.

The manufacturer’s instructions should also be consulted for any considerations on the use of stickers and transfers. 

Modifications
A helmet shall not be modified from its specification as manufactured except in compliance with instructions approved by the manufacturer and one of the standards organisations listed in this schedule, which certified the helmet concerned. Any item added or attached to a helmet by any means shall be considered as a modification. Any modifications or additions undertaken may invalidate the helmet certification.
Approved modifications may include:
Painting or wrapping (vinyl sticker or similar) in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions which may require proof that it has been carried out accordingly.
Adding or attaching of ducting for cooling purposes using components supplied by the manufacturer or in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Adding or attaching communication equipment using components supplied by the manufacturer or in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions. 

@symsy Very true re fitment, as Shoei fit me perfectly, yet when my sponsors were handing me Arai helmets to try on (an Arai distributor at the time) I couldn't wear them, as my frontal lobe must be like that of a Gorillas, and they were very uncomfortable, not to mention very noisy at speed

Funny you should say that Lee but I have also found Arai to be a noisy helmet also ,,,,must be something to do with the padding thickness and or the type of padding its self ,,,I personally prefer to have some sound proofing from both engine and wind noise ,,for some reason I have a greater sense of safety if my head is well padded ..

Funny you should say that Lee but I have also found Arai to be a noisy helmet also ,,,,must be something to do with the padding thickness and or the type of padding its self ,,,I personally prefer to have some sound proofing from both engine and wind noise ,,for some reason I have a greater sense of safety if my head is well padded ..

The visor mechanism cover is to blame I reckon, as it catches the air, whereas the Shoei visor is flush, and the mechanism is inboard on the sides. The Shoei X8 was a revolutionary helmet in the late 80's/early 90's, and it's been the same basic design since

Check out Shoei Gt Air Helmet , if you want a dual purpose one , I have one for my main use and it has nearly as much and if not more visibilty than my Stilo. It has Aus standards and commonly marketed although not always positioned as a general purpose helmet.

I havent read the CAMS rules of late , but im pretty sure there is the DOT testing and then the more important SNELL testing….

The RTA may have their approved list, but I havent been in a country yet where they do not look fondly at SNELL approved hemets for both cars and bikes on the road and track.

Again im no expert but in my recollection I have only painted carbon and kevlar helmets.

Sorry Doug I know you asked about colour!!!!!  You fashionister

Also one big suggestion to go before fashion is function.

The one big thing with full face if your not a hardcore racer is that it can be hard to see harness buckels etc etc if your in an out of cars.. somewhat ..safer but .. for a general track day or kids helmet ..maybe a open face is better .

Open face also lets you communicate better with an instructor and is far more comfortable with the heat ….. you know when your doing  your HOT LAPS WITH THE AIR CON OFF!

I have an import and a local purchased Stilo and neither have australian standards sticker .. not to start a holy war , but I think you find you cannot use motorsport helmets on the road here rather than the other way around.

I agree with the the buy the best you can buy..but I would follow that with by the best that fits you , the best helmets are sometimes funny shapes Shoei and Arai included .

I love the fit of my Arai , Shoei but as you can imagine i got a funny head.  The Stilo also .. removable and washable padding is also a must for me.

So paint away , I cant imagine the glues on stickers are as bad as solvents  and maybe wrap material as it doesnt genrally have adhesive is the best answer.

Beyond all this .. I suggest a crash helmet that your sunglasses fit in to be cooler , maybe , oxygen socket if you get in someones GT3  or CUP car and a ascess to a drink bottle with Margarita in it !!

Dont also forget your Sparco race gloves, suit and shoes…. .. Track day $325 … outfit $2325….  

The ultimate suggestion ,  spend the outfit money on fuel and tyres you will be way way more satisfied I promise.

No cars to kick tyres on this morning drives a man crazy

from CAMS 

http://docs.cams.com.au/Manual/GeneralRequirements/GQ05-Schedule-D-2016-1.pdf

Note: Decoration: Decoration of helmets is potentially dangerous, and members are warned of the hazard
of using paint on approved helmets. Paint, stickers
and transfers, or surface treatments can react with helmet shell material and affect its protective capacity; therefore, where a manufacturer provides guidelines or restrictions on the painting or decoration of helmets, these must be followed, using only paint or surface treatment specified by them (eg, air drying acrylic, polyurethane enamel or others) and preferably a painter having their approval. This is particularly important for injection-molded shells which are not usually suitable for painting.

The shell being painted should be efficiently masked as paint penetrating the interior can affect the performance of the helmet liner.

Paints requiring heat curing should not be used and any process should not exceed the maximum temperature of conditioning of the helmet in the standard to which it is approved.

The manufacturer’s instructions should also be consulted for any considerations on the use of stickers and transfers. 

Modifications
A helmet shall not be modified from its specification as manufactured except in compliance with instructions approved by the manufacturer and one of the standards organisations listed in this schedule, which certified the helmet concerned. Any item added or attached to a helmet by any means shall be considered as a modification. Any modifications or additions undertaken may invalidate the helmet certification.
Approved modifications may include:
Painting or wrapping (vinyl sticker or similar) in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions which may require proof that it has been carried out accordingly.
Adding or attaching of ducting for cooling purposes using components supplied by the manufacturer or in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Adding or attaching communication equipment using components supplied by the manufacturer or in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions. 

That is a relief reading that. So I CAN still paint a helmet, and it still be CAMS approved, I just have to make sure it is a helmet approved for painting by the manufacturer. It looks like that will be a big part of my consideration for which hemet I will buy, as I plan on customising my helmet (like I do with everything else ;) ).

Archived