Helmet art/livery

D-banger

I painted heaps of helmets back when I made my living as an airbrush artist. The common theme was "You are going to charge how much!!". They are a lot of work, and a few years ago when I was doing them I would start at around $1000 for a simple helmet artwork, and go up from there. Most guys, would say "That is 3 times what I paid for the helmet in the first place!".

If you get something simple, like the whole thing painted to look like a skull or similar it may be cheaper. If you want the typical race style with lots of coloured areas and your name or race number, etc, that is when it starts getting difficult, and expensive.

Under cams regulations helmets can only be painted by the manufacturer ,,,,,you can not use a helmet that you have had artwork painted on ,,,Cams is off the belief that paints and solvents can lessen the integrity of the helmet thus making it unsafe  ,,,,,,the most common form of helmet art work these days are stickers and or printed wraps just like we see on the cars ,,,Helmet artwork has become a very tricky issue with Cams these days most Cams officals prefer just plain helmets ....2017 is going to see rule changes regarding helmets and head and neck restraints at club and weekend track driver levels to many cowboys out their with cheap $50 helmets ,,,,,,If you are going to get involved in any sort of motorsport at any level spend the money and buy a quality helmet $500 or more that meets Snell 2015, FIA ,,,and Aus Standards ....

Under cams regulations helmets can only be painted by the manufacturer ,,,,,you can not use a helmet that you have had artwork painted on ,,,Cams is off the belief that paints and solvents can lessen the integrity of the helmet thus making it unsafe  ,,,,,,the most common form of helmet art work these days are stickers and or printed wraps just like we see on the cars ,,,Helmet artwork has become a very tricky issue with Cams these days most Cams officals prefer just plain helmets ....2017 is going to see rule changes regarding helmets and head and neck restraints at club and weekend track driver levels to many cowboys out their with cheap $50 helmets ,,,,,,If you are going to get involved in any sort of motorsport at any level spend the money and buy a quality helmet $500 or more that meets Snell 2015, FIA ,,,and Aus Standards ....

That is very interesting as it has been a few years since I painted any helmets, but at the time I researched that issue, without a great deal of answers. What it came down to at the time, was that it didn't effect fibreglass helmets integrity, but plastic it did. Now if Cams has overruled it, that is another issue altogether. I was planing on painting up a helmet for track use in the future, but now I will have to look into it further.

Best to keep the helmet plain as you bought it to avoid scrutineers questioning if you are causing or trying to cover damage.

CAMS rules allow paint and decals in accordance with manufacturer recommendations if you really want to go that way. From GQ05-Schedule-D-2016-1

"(b) Modifications A helmet shall not be modified from its specification as manufactured except in compliance with instructions approved by the manufacturer and one of the standards organisations listed in this schedule, which certified the helmet concerned. Any item added or attached to a helmet by any means shall be considered as a modification. Any modifications or additions undertaken may invalidate the helmet certification. Approved modifications may include: Painting or wrapping (vinyl sticker or similar) in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions which may require proof that it has been carried out accordingly. Adding or attaching of ducting for cooling purposes using components supplied by the manufacturer or in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions. Adding or attaching communication equipment using components supplied by the manufacturer or in compliance with the manufacturer’s instructions"

That is very interesting as it has been a few years since I painted any helmets, but at the time I researched that issue, without a great deal of answers. What it came down to at the time, was that it didn't effect fibreglass helmets integrity, but plastic it did. Now if Cams has overruled it, that is another issue altogether. I was planing on painting up a helmet for track use in the future, but now I will have to look into it further.

Mate just buy one with the artwork on it they have really cracked down on this recently and no motorbike helmets in cars either another no no ,,,,this was recently introduced ,,no more drilling older helmets to accept Hans either must be manufactured like that and stamped accordingly ....The public liability and risk assesment police have draw up strict guide lines relating to driver apparel even at the weekend enthusiast level ,,,,,I race at a state club level and we really got policed heavily this year on these issues all apparel must comply with the new rules or you can not participate in the event ...I fully understand their position as I have seen some big accidents at club level events ,it does,t take much when your driving 100% and you and the car are on the edge of out of control ...We all say will not push it to those limits but when you get out on a track in a group of other competitive drives you will do it ,,,just human nature ....It is not till you have had a decent off that you fully understand your limits ... Cams regs are available online for public viewing 

Interesting reading.  So many rules these days.

looks like i am going to be stuck with my boring white Arai helmet.

i was trying to encourage my wife to do the PFA day at Sandown.  In that plan she would use my daughter's motorbike helmet, but that might be ruled out now as i dont see the point in buying a helmet for one day.  I wonder if they police passenger helmets just as carefully.

The PFA trackday is not a Cams event ,,private club hiring the track for the day so different rules would apply as you are not racing,,,,,,No doubt the officials at Sand down will specify what they require prior to the event as they would have done a risk assessment based on what you will be doing  ............I would suspect a helmet that meets AS1698 would be sufficient ,,,check with those organizing the day they should know ..

Interesting reading.  So many rules these days.

looks like i am going to be stuck with my boring white Arai helmet.

i was trying to encourage my wife to do the PFA day at Sandown.  In that plan she would use my daughter's motorbike helmet, but that might be ruled out now as i dont see the point in buying a helmet for one day.  I wonder if they police passenger helmets just as carefully.

I would suggest that so long as your daughters motorbike helmet is to Aus standards and has no pre-existing damage you should be fine. (Make sure it has its Aus standards sticker on it)

In relation to graphics, wraps are pretty common. They are generally much cheaper and can look as good as paint! I know a few guys if your interested. 

$50 helmet, $50 head! Buy the best you can afford that is legal.

I have never scrimped on buying the best helmets on the market. Never ever buy cheap s..t, or for a passenger. Cheap ones, you may as well not wear one! Which is why I questioned some friends doing the Classic Adelaide rally today n yesterday. They're doing 130-180kph not wearing helmets or using gloves in basically a street car with no cage. Hmmmm, lets hit a tree side on and see how ya feeling afterwards! LUNACY if ya ask me.

As for graphics, I'm pretty sure most of the Supercar drivers have painted lids, as they're always showing them off to pump their sponsors

$50 helmet, $50 head! Buy the best you can afford that is legal.

I have never scrimped on buying the best helmets on the market. Never ever buy cheap s..t, or for a passenger. Cheap ones, you may as well not wear one! Which is why I questioned some friends doing the Classic Adelaide rally today n yesterday. They're doing 130-180kph not wearing helmets or using gloves in basically a street car with no cage. Hmmmm, lets hit a tree side on and see how ya feeling afterwards! LUNACY if ya ask me.

As for graphics, I'm pretty sure most of the Supercar drivers have painted lids, as they're always showing them off to pump their sponsors

Plagiarist!

10_Bell_154524.jpg

I bought a $530 helmet to wear on my dirtbike, we only have one head and it only takes one off to be injured beyond repair.

You can buy a helmet that will do the job fairly cheap for a trackday but if you buy from overseas you wont get the AS sticker and you will be lucky to get on a track.

Plagiarist!

10_Bell_154524.jpg

Aha! Knew I'd seen or heard it before somewhere (big mouth) 

Anyway, isn't plagiarism an exact copy of a quote or sentence etc? I said $50, so in effect I didn't plagiarise.......or did I? (Can't Google it as I type, so I'll get back to ya)

Aaah damn it, I'm a plagiarist!

I bought a $530 helmet to wear on my dirtbike, we only have one head and it only takes one off to be injured beyond repair.

You can buy a helmet that will do the job fairly cheap for a trackday but if you buy from overseas you wont get the AS sticker and you will be lucky to get on a track.

I had the original Bell Moto as my first helmet as a mini bike kid, and almost every model of the original helmet since.  Moto III is the coolest dirt bike helmet of all time!

I had the original Bell Moto as my first helmet as a mini bike kid, and almost every model of the original helmet since.  Moto III is the coolest dirt bike helmet of all time!

Good ones are worth some decent coin now too

Are the motorbike helmet restrictions because of Hans?

No 100% sure but from My understanding a motorcycle helmet is not approved for Cams  motor racing and competition  events ,,,many of my fellow club competitors had to purchase new helmets this year due to this issue I think a motorcycle Helmet has a M after the approval number ..HANS is still not compulsory  in all class,s but Cams is moving to implement this in the next few years ,,,,,I have always purchased High end helmets with up to date FIA and SNELL approvals as there are limitations on the time period of Use eg SNELL 2015 replace in 2025 ,,My car is an open cockpit car so 6 point belts and HANS is a must ,,,99% of the time I will not need the protection but when that 1% heavy impact and life threatening crash happens I want the best chance of walking away ....Another issue with open cockpit cars ,,that most people are not aware is the amount of debris that is kicked up of the track that strikes your helmet eg small rocks ,,,chunks of rubber and sometime nuts bolts and screws that brake of cars in front of you ,,,,,my helmets are generally looking very sad after five years due to this lots of stone chips and impact marks as my head is the only thing above the line of bodywork ...

....Another issue with open cockpit cars ,,that most people are not aware is the amount of debris that is kicked up of the track that strikes your helmet eg small rocks ,,,chunks of rubber and sometime nuts bolts and screws that brake of cars in front of you ,,,,,my helmets are generally looking very sad after five years due to this lots of stone chips and impact marks as my head is the only thing above the line of bodywork ...

Or seagulls at Phillip Island. Scares the bgeezus out of ya!

Never been around Philip Island but I can see how that could happen ,,bird strike at 200kph :D it is often frustrating when you see a rock coming at you but are limited as to how much movement your head has to avoid the impact ,,,,i am generally cursing and swearing at the impact on the helmet knowing what the helmet cost .........:rolleyes: I am certain we have all seen the footage of the accident that resulted in the passing of the Ayrton senna :(

Are the motorbike helmet restrictions because of Hans?

I also believe that car and motorbike helmets are manufactured differently, car is more towards a single heavy impact where as motorbike is for multiple + sliding. This is also why you can't legally use a 'car racing' helmet on a motorbike and also the available vision in a car helmet is limited when compared to a motorbike.

$530 is cheap, my pushie helmet's are more expensive! :rolleyes::D;)

In relation to graphics, wraps are pretty common. They are generally much cheaper and can look as good as paint! I know a few guys if your interested. 

thanks for the offer Hugh. I would be grateful for their details.

i was thinking of something like this, but Martini has probably been done once or twice before.  I will probs go for something simpler still...racing stripes maybe

Helmet-CH17Martini.jpg

Archived