6.2 GT3 vs Cup Cars at Adelaide Motorsport Festival

spiller

This was a week ago but my video editing skills are poor (as you will see) so I take a while to get going. This is a great event and the Porsche Category was lightning overall (the slowest watercooled car was a 991 GT3...enough said!). Driving on the Adelaide F1 track against 991, 997 and 996 cups as well as a 991 RS was awesome fun, even though I saw the rear end of them sailing off into the distance! My quickest time was a 51.6, 996 cups were in the high 50s and early 51s and the 991 RS did a 51.2 so I was pretty happy with the old girl. 

And just to clarify @spiller we are talking about your driving skills, not your video editing skills! 

And yet it still took me a week to get it online haha. I think I need a crash course!

Time for a Cup Car now :P

Seriously :)

No 996GT2 out there.  Interesting track, some unprotected sections with trees is a surprise in this litigious day and age.

This would have been a brutal layout in the GT2 I reckon. Lots of slow corners followed by acceleration zones. As for the trees, that was the only part on the "public road" which was dirty and bumpy as hell. I think there was fencing in front of the trees though? I need to go back and have a look at the footage (edit: wow they are right there, amazing what you don't see when you're on track). Curb hopping the Senna Chicane is one of the more fun things to do in a P-Car though.

Shifter mods Simon?

Cup shifter, cup cables, function-first transmission mount...and he still mis-shifts :lol:

One thing that frustrates me about watching the footage (other than the grainy, poorly synced exterior shots which seemed like a good idea at the time), is my line into the hairpin onto the main straight. This was day two and on the first day I was carrying a lot of speed into that corner which resulted in oversteer on the exit (as pointed out by @LeeM in the paddock after!). Consequently I was overly aware of this the next day and found myself braking too soon for the corner, resulting in an early and less than ideal apex.

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds great and looks like heaps of fun to drive, I'm assuming it's got a bit done to it though?  

Thanks, it's been nicely set up, very predictable at the limit and the "hairy" characteristics have been ironed out. It does have a few bits and pieces, more or less 996 Cup Car suspension catalogue, cup diff/final drive and some intake mods with exhaust. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to figure out what the hell track that is. Know the big building (hospital?) on the left so figured it was Radelaide but didn't recognise a lot of other parts of it. Nice going in that car vs some others for sure!

I was trying to figure out what the hell track that is. Know the big building (hospital?) on the left so figured it was Radelaide but didn't recognise a lot of other parts of it. Nice going in that car vs some others for sure!

Yeah it's just the Victoria Park section of the F1/clipsal track with one section on Wakefield Road. Small layout but fun! That building in the distance is an apartment complex on Greenhill Road. There is the old Queen Victoria Hospital nearby also but that's now apartments too. 

Very nice video and driving, what intake / exhaust mods do you have?

Thanks. The exhaust is M&M "cup" which is headers into a center exit. Intake is 997 GT3 throttle body which is larger, IPD inlet plenum which is also larger and more refined design than OEM and BMC air filter. 

Shameless plug: all of the intake stuff will be for sale shortly as I am putting my car back to factory specs to be sold. Will have a good list of other race bits to go with these.

Archived