WTB- Mercedes R107 SL

reggiegums

there was a late 70s for $17,500 at Cars and Coffee yesterday. but judging by the year you specified probably too old (and aside from the fact it's on the other side of the country)

have you looked at the for sale pages of the Mercedes-Benz clubs? or tried OZBENZ.net?

SLC FTW.

4.JPG

pretty sure that's an SL though with a removeable hardtop, the trim line under the C pillar (which isnt' there on coupes

I like how in these the germans don't care for foot room for the english, so couldn't be bothered moving the starter motor - so you end up with the passenger footwell with some pedals in it

there was a late 70s for $17,500 at Cars and Coffee yesterday. but judging by the year you specified probably too old (and aside from the fact it's on the other side of the country)

have you looked at the for sale pages of the Mercedes-Benz clubs? or tried OZBENZ.net?

Thanks. Distance is not the issue but yes I'd much rather a 1987 but if the pickings are slim, I'll choose a 80's model.

Reggie as Russ mentions try Ozbenz.net as there are quite a few knowledgable guys over there that can point you in the right direction on what to look for in a good 107 and where the problems are.  Might be worth chucking up a wanted add as the guys in the different state clubs might know of a car.  Try emailing the state clubs as well due to known member cars coming to market, I have done this previously and had good success. At least with MB its easy to work out country of providence vs ROW so u can weed out the rusty UK imports. You are looking for a 9 or 625 on the build plate which is an AU car. There are a few Euro delivery cars that were picked up by owners driven around Europe than shipped back. They are still a build plate 625.  Important to look for rust as the 107's are known to rust in sills, floors and doors. If you are looking at an 87 it would probably be a 380sl and there are some great examples around and whilst a little more on price than the early cars they are a well sorted model. If budgets not a problem go the 560sl they are a well sorted and quick cab however prices in the past few years have started to take off. Certainly worth doing your research, as always buy the best you can afford and PPI is a must.  If you want one looked at in Sydney give me a yell I have a couple of mates with107' (not for sale) but they can help with having a look.

Steven 

Good luck,

I'm looking for a 450SLC or a 280SE 3.5 alternatively...

Very cool cars!

Is a 450 Aus delivered? I previously placed a deposit on a 280 SE 2.8 Coupe but changed my mind.

Reggie as Russ mentions try Ozbenz.net as there are quite a few knowledgable guys over there that can point you in the right direction on what to look for in a good 107 and where the problems are.  Might be worth chucking up a wanted add as the guys in the different state clubs might know of a car.  Try emailing the state clubs as well due to known member cars coming to market, I have done this previously and had good success. At least with MB its easy to work out country of providence vs ROW so u can weed out the rusty UK imports. You are looking for a 9 or 625 on the build plate which is an AU car. There are a few Euro delivery cars that were picked up by owners driven around Europe than shipped back. They are still a build plate 625.  Important to look for rust as the 107's are known to rust in sills, floors and doors. If you are looking at an 87 it would probably be a 380sl and there are some great examples around and whilst a little more on price than the early cars they are a well sorted model. If budgets not a problem go the 560sl they are a well sorted and quick cab however prices in the past few years have started to take off. Certainly worth doing your research, as always buy the best you can afford and PPI is a must.  If you want one looked at in Sydney give me a yell I have a couple of mates with107' (not for sale) but they can help with having a look.

Steven 

Thanks. I'll definitely go for an Aust delivered one. 

also, steer away from anything that isn't a 380SL or a 560SL if you want mid to late 80's. The rest are not Aus delivered eg 500SL, 420SL, 280SL

Thanks. No funds for a 560. SO its gotta be a 380 or 450.

Is a 450 Aus delivered? I previously placed a deposit on a 280 SE 2.8 Coupe but changed my mind.

Thanks. I'll definitely go for an Aust delivered one. 

Thanks. No funds for a 560. SO its gotta be a 380 or 450.

Pretty sure the 450 SLC's were Aus delivered. Don't know anything about the SL's though.

Why did you decide against the 280SE Coupe if you don't mind me asking?

if I had the coin I'd go for one of them,beautiful cars but completely out of my reach.

Pretty sure the 450 SLC's were Aus delivered. Don't know anything about the SL's though.

if I had the coin I'd go for one of them,beautiful cars but completely out of my reach.

450SL and 350SL are earlier cars, pre 82 from memory. These are generally Aus delivered and were the only variants available here at the time

280SE 3.5 with Americana headlights is a dreamy car :wub:

450SL and 350SL are earlier cars, pre 82 from memory. These are generally Aus delivered and were the only variants available here at the time

280SE 3.5 with Americana headlights is a dreamy car :wub:

I can't decide what I want...love the 450slc,beautiful shape,sporty coupe ,typical 70's design....but the 280SE is more luxurious,all the wood and chrome...argh...decisions...I'd get both if i could!

Sorry for hijacking your post reggiegums, I'll shut up now!

The 280SE that i looked at was the 2.8 not the desirable 3.5 but it did have the American headlights. The car itself needed some work cosmetically and engine wise. 

The 70s cars are appreciating quickly (Pagodas being ridiculous money). I suspect they will start to head over to the UK soon,  if not already.

Not cheap , but beware of any cheap Benz! They cost a mint to restore.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/CG_4933068/MERCEDES-BENZ--350--NSW+-+Sydney--MONA+VALE+2103,+NSW--Coupe?searchKey=cg_s.fc9bef9e770ba7233d82f890ee80f412#pos4

Crazy high mileage with horrible red seats

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/CG_4988844/MERCEDES-BENZ--350--QLD+-+Brisbane--CLEVELAND+4163,+QLD--Coupe?searchKey=cg_s.245f1171999cbda39217cd14d203d011#pos0

Looks like a car straight our of GTA.

The 70s cars are appreciating quickly (Pagodas being ridiculous money). I suspect they will start to head over to the UK soon,  if not already.

Not cheap , but beware of any cheap Benz! They cost a mint to restore.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/CG_4933068/MERCEDES-BENZ--350--NSW+-+Sydney--MONA+VALE+2103,+NSW--Coupe?searchKey=cg_s.fc9bef9e770ba7233d82f890ee80f412#pos4

I like it, but photo 3 shows it has different colour panels :(

The gold is nice. Lose the Lorinser(?) wheels for a set of original wheels and that would be a nice car to have

The gold is nice. Lose the Lorinser(?) wheels for a set of original wheels and that would be a nice car to have

I've got a set of those Centra wheels on the '66 I'm restoring. On that model they are quite effective. I've got the '67 for originality freaks.

Archived