Tyre Options 7 & 8s x 16"

crsedge

My frank and fearless informed opinion is:

Wider rims on a street driven 3.2 is a bit of a wank given the power, weight and steering setup. The standard 6's and 7's are rationally the best option.  If you want to fill the rear guards out, spacers work fine.

Install 205's and 225's.

Run Bridgestone RE003's.  Fantastic tyre and often on 4 for the price of 3 sales so very affordable.   Since you're doing relatively low km's the soft compound won't send you broke.

Or you could do that ^ 

I have 6's and 7's on at the moment, with 18mm spacers on the rear which basically makes them fill the rear guard similar to what 8's and 245's do. I'd prefer not to use spacers personally, yet I couldn't out up with the huge gap between tyre and rear guard lip any longer. Reckon 9's would fill the guard perfectly, 10's do look very good though, like this

20161030_110057.jpg 

I agree with Peter m. I run the RE003. I think they're a great street tyre that offers excellent wet and dry grip for most driving situations. Nice and quiet, good ride, seem to wear quite well, and good value. I've always like Bridgestone tyres.

• 2 months later...

My '89 3.2 came standard with 16" x 6" and 8" and felt well balanced with 205/55R16 and 225/50R16 in Bridgestone RE Potenza.

It was slightly lowered and had no scraping on guards issues. It was not too hard work manouvering in car parks and felt balanced with spirited driving.

Over tyring the front can lead to rotation!

And for comfort 15" is better. My two bobs worth

• 3 weeks later...

My Fuchs are 7 Front and 8 Rear, Ive got 225/50 and 245/50. Would prefer to run 245/45 but didnt have that tyre size at the time. Plenty of grip for the street, but I think 225/45 rear will make the car a lot more nimble and playful. Got a quote for RE003 in 205/225 and it was $470 for the set with their 4 for 3 deal.

PPRS-8590
PPRS-8619

Got a quote for RE003 in 205/225 and it was $470 for the set with their 4 for 3 deal.

Cheap! Who through? 

I was looking for 225 and 245's to fit onto my 7 and 8 Ronals, though out of frustration, I just fitted the 205 and 225's Hankook's that were on the Fuchs. They look fine, and have enough grip for the hills for me, so I won't be changing

Local Bridgestone Tyre Shop $180 for 225 and $110 for 205.

I only could get a Kumho KU31 in 245 sadly.
However Ive been informed by the same tyre shop of the following options for 245/45 R16
Toyo T1R $200
Continental SC $300
Pirelli PZ Rossi $350

For those seeking a more "premium" tyre. 

Which Hankook are those @LeeM?
Im currently debating on whether to go a more aggressive street tyre in 225 trim, or a semi in 245, these are on a set of 9" Remotecs however... for occasional track and skid pan days (fun wheels). Would love some feedback..

However Ive been informed by the same tyre shop of the following options for 245/45 R16
Toyo T1R $200

May I ask which tyre shop? My recent purchase has these on the back and is about to go for a roadworthy - so if new tyres are required it would help me greatly to know who is stocking them at that price.

May I ask which tyre shop? My recent purchase has these on the back and is about to go for a roadworthy - so if new tyres are required it would help me greatly to know who is stocking them at that price.

Bridgestone Brisbane. Though they dont stock these... they will be getting them from some warehouse.

Thanks, will keep the local Bridgestone dealer in mind. As looking through my cars receipts, the rears were bought start of 2014 (13,000km traveled since) for $295 a piece, so your price is very nice!

Dropped the car in for the roadworthy this morning and it does need rear tyres.

Discovered my car has 9" Fuchs on the rear and not 8"'s so I have been recommended to go with a 245/50/16 rather than the 245/45/16's Toyo's that was on it. Unfortunately it's a difficult size to find and have been recommended Hankooks - unsure of the model but right now I just want it registered so I can drive it further than my driveway...

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo. 205 and 225 x 50 on 7 and 8 inch rims

I've pushed them pretty hard (in a controlled enviroment ofcourse! ), and they're pretty good for road driving. I'm getting on the gas earlier all the time, and they only let go with a nice controlled drift last weekend out of a 25kph corner in 2nd gear. I find them pretty predictable, especially on nice smooth roads, yet haven't tried mega sticky tyres to compare them with

I have discovered it is very hard to find 16 inch tyres to suit my wheels.

The shop where I am getting my roadworthy couldn't find 245/50/16's which they recommended for the rear and had to go with 245/45/16 again.

I've had a little search online over the weekend and only found the Kuhmo KU31 available as a 245/50/16! Are these an okay tyre? If so I may buy a set and store a set before they are sold out...

Fronts currently on my car are 225/55/16, so which ever tyre I go with it would be great that they are also available in that size too.

Initially the tyres will be for spirited weekend drives only, but with the idea for some potential light track use in the future. 

The shop where I am getting my roadworthy couldn't find 245/50/16's which they recommended for the rear and had to go with 245/45/16 again.

I've had a little search online over the weekend and only found the Kuhmo KU31 available as a 245/50/16! Are these an okay tyre? If so I may buy a set and store a set before they are sold out...

Fronts currently on my car are 225/55/16, so which ever tyre I go with it would be great that they are also available in that size too.

Initially the tyres will be for spirited weekend drives only, but with the idea for some potential light track use in the future. 

Ive got the KU31 in that exact spec, they do alright for spirited street driving, I havent had too many issues with it. However they are no longer being produced and are getting old, so just check the age of the rubber youre buying, I would get anything more than 3 years old personally. 
Also... just because you have 9" wide rears (congrats btw, wish I had a set haha) doesnt mean you have to change from a 245/45R16 to a 245/50R16.

Have you checked the availability of any of the tyres I mentioned above?
Heres  what Ive found (as Im in a similar situation)... you can get a handful of semis (R888, R70A, etc) in a 245/255 45 R16, but I would not recommend to drive with these on the road, if you ever get caught in the rain, it wont be happy days. But there isnt really anything in between anymore, theres no extreme performance street tyre. And this is where the two wheel set solution comes in. Get an older set of tyres for the 16s and then get another set of 17s with more aggressive (more tyre selection range) tyre.

According to the Porsche website a 245/ 45 x 16 is the right tyre for a 9 x 16 wheel for a 930 or "turbo look"

As this list is on the Porsche Aus website you should be able to buy the tyres they list from them? They do list a few.....http://www.porsche.com/australia/accessoriesandservice/classic/tyreapproval/

worth a call?

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Have you checked the availability of any of the tyres I mentioned above?

I hadn't as the mechanic suggested the 50 profile for the rears and yours listed are 45's. I will discuss with him further when I pick up the car why he was recommending that profile.

According to the Porsche website a 245/ 45 x 16 is the right tyre for a 9 x 16 wheel for a 930 or "turbo look"

Appreciated. Extremely new to the P family so wasn't aware of this list. Will definitely do more research on the options and also look at giving them a call in preparation of new tyres I'll need after I've worn through this set.

Archived