New GT4 RS might come with 4L 6 cyl engine.

Apogee

Porsche discovered that the current 718 Cayman S can lap the Nürburgring as fast as the current GT4 when fitted with that car's tires.

OMG.

I remember (a year ago) watching or reading that the head of Porsche design or engineering saying something to the effect of not wanting to keep fighting the numbers/specs game (esp with the Nissan GT-R) and to get back to making the 911 a drivers car instead of trying to be the fastest on the Nurburgring. It looks like that has gone out the window. 

There is a line from the Chris Harris video test of the 718 where he says 'if you own a Cayman GT4, and one of these came up behind you, I wouldn't get invovled' ... 3mins 55 seconds into this vid: http://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/the-new-porsche-718-boxster-tested-by-chris-harris

From my understanding the GT4 was the swansong for the Cayman ,,I would be very surprised if this dose get produced but if it does I would expect it to be in very high demand if it is produced in limited number much like the 991 R .........:)

Interesting prospect. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. The Cayman was always meant to be a driver's car rather than a numbers car, but now it seems that Porsche is forcing its own hand through adding turbo torque to the lower specced crocs. I wouldn't turn down the keys to a GT4 RS though...

Interesting prospect. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest. The Cayman was always meant to be a driver's car rather than a numbers car, but now it seems that Porsche is forcing its own hand through adding turbo torque to the lower specced crocs. I wouldn't turn down the keys to a GT4 RS though...

Good point. You see it happening everywhere though. I think performance car manufacturers believe we don't want their products if there isn't a tangible difference in the 'ring lap times from the previous model. 

I haven't followed it too closely but the 911R seems like Porsches exception. They didn't go all out to create a GT3 RS beater, stuck a manual box in and catered for the (extremely well off) enthusiasts!. Given the low production numbers of the GT4, I reckon they'll follow suit with the new one. It's all academic for me though...unless I get a bid on that kidney I mentioned a couple of posts above. 

I've had a steer of a 718 Cayman and it was impressive. The steering is better than my GT4 and the engine delivers low end power better. The only thing it didn't have was the same levels of grip as the GT4 does - but it wasn't on the same tyres.

But this GT4 RS is going to be NA, not turbo like the 718 and it's only 0.2L more than the current GT4 is (3.8L). The reports are a 50HP increase - but that's still not going to catch a 991.1 GT3, unless the plan is to use the 991.1 GT3 engine, so the pricing will be interesting to see when it comes out.

I've had a steer of a 718 Cayman and it was impressive. The steering is better than my GT4 and the engine delivers low end power better. The only thing it didn't have was the same levels of grip as the GT4 does - but it wasn't on the same tyres.

But this GT4 RS is going to be NA, not turbo like the 718 and it's only 0.2L more than the current GT4 is (3.8L). The reports are a 50HP increase - but that's still not going to catch a 991.1 GT3, unless the plan is to use the 991.1 GT3 engine, so the pricing will be interesting to see when it comes out.

Thanks Snowman. What about throttle response compared to the GT4? I assume a dramatic difference?

Good point. You see it happening everywhere though. I think performance car manufacturers believe we don't want their products if there isn't a tangible difference in the 'ring lap times from the previous model. 

I haven't followed it too closely but the 911R seems like Porsches exception. They didn't go all out to create a GT3 RS beater, stuck a manual box in and catered for the (extremely well off) enthusiasts!. Given the low production numbers of the GT4, I reckon they'll follow suit with the new one. It's all academic for me though...unless I get a bid on that kidney I mentioned a couple of posts above. 

Yes I agree Warren. I think I'd choose a new Porsche model that was more engaging than one that does 0-100kph 0.2 seconds quicker but then again I'm not the one with my neck on the chopping block if the new model doesn't sell well.

From everything I've read the 911R is an incredible machine. I'd love to see Porsche apply the same ethos with the Cayman line but I'm not convinced they will. At least not in GT4 RS guise. I think that will be a numbers car (a couple of tenths slower than a GT3 RS, through gearing perhaps if it's snapping (pun intended) at the heels too much). 

I think this debate will echo in the halls of eternity …. just like GT3 997 or GT4 .. Oh shit then the 911R Came..  and now what a new manual GT3 to come also along side the a new Cayman and Boxster..

Lets face it the are all slightly diffrent and the tech specs really arent so much the deciding factor.. sometimes the price is and just simply the look.

One things for sure who ever thought we would have so many GT labelled cars or cars that deliver GT style drives available?

They are all amazing cars..

I would love it if they would release a long hood recreation of the 912 at an affordable price. Make it the same size as the original but with new underpinnings. Then the 4 pot turbo engine would make sense. 

I would love it if they would release a long hood recreation of the 912 at an affordable price. Make it the same size as the original but with new underpinnings. Then the 4 pot turbo engine would make sense. 

Theres your Forward date plan

One things for sure who ever thought we would have so many GT labelled cars or cars that deliver GT style drives available?

What's the "sports" version of these?

Back in the day there were sports cars and GT cars, for different purposes. 

Porsche really need to deliver some special sports cars to stay ahead of the opposition. A 9,000rpm 350Kw PDK Cayman GT4 RS will do just nicely. If only the McLaren sounded better?. Beginning to think my deposit on a future special sports car was nothing but wishful thinking.

Love the reviews by Chris Harris. I had the new 718 Boxster out to compare against my 987.2 S and have to say I was surprised. I've had a 981 Cayman standard and its felt woeful compared to the Boxster S, but I have to say the 718 was surprisingly good.

Although the one I drove didn't have the sports exhaust, I was pretty impressed with that they've done to the stock exhaust. Certainly a vast improvement on mine.

It does sound like there is high praise on the new batch of four cylinder turbo engines, apart from the noise they make. Even that is subjective though. If you haven't experienced an NA flat six then the turbo four probably sounds great compared with other sports cars. ;) 

The Chris Harris review wasn't exactly glowing - he said in no uncertain terms that the old car was better. The new car being very very good, just not as good as the old one.

To be honest I don't trust any of the other reviewers to tell the truth. Porsche has to push this new reality of 4 cylinder turbos, and the less well known reviewers are likely just going to give glowing reviews so they can keep reviewing the next Porsche that comes out.

Faster doesn't always equal better ;)

Archived