Purchasing new vs. Ex Demo 991.2?

gronk

Hi guys,

New member to the forum and hoping to be a Porsche owner sometime soon if I can get myself sorted! 

Have always loved the marque, old man drove Porsches and I think the time is right to let loose!

Just wondering what members thoughts were on buying new vs an ex-demo with few thousand k's on the clock. 

Anyone have any ideas as to what discount you can get from Porsche dealers on new Carrera S's - if I can negotiate a decent discount, may be worth going new?

Thoughts,

Gronk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally the Porsche Centres will have new cars in the yard, which if they have been hanging around a while you should be able to get some discount. 5-10%. Speak to the sales people and see how you go. 

I wouldn't buy an exdemo with 1000's Kms on it personally. I would rather buy private.

If you custom build a Porsche in my experience you will struggle to get much of a discount. Especially if you buy a GT car.

Thanks for the reply wirthO!

I like the idea of buying private also but there just does not seem to be any stock of the 991.2s privately at the moment - too new I suppose.

If you don't mind me asking, why wouldn't you buy an exdemo? Seems like a pretty good way to go buying something that has a few k's on it if you can get a good discount off it from new?

Wouldn't a getting one with a manual transmission prevent this?

That would be correct.

Generally the Porsche Centres will have new cars in the yard, which if they have been hanging around a while you should be able to get some discount. 5-10%. Speak to the sales people and see how you go. 

Definitely agree with cars in the yard, you'll be able to negotiate a better price easier. You can also be lucky and get a cancelled order as well which can save a few $$$.

Anyone have any ideas as to what discount you can get from Porsche dealers on new Carrera S's - if I can negotiate a decent discount, may be worth going new?

If you want to order a custom build, know exactly what you want down to the stitching and you'll find that you can still get a decent discount as long as you're willing to let the dealer negotiate on different options which I think might be something to do with parts availability from my understanding.

Walk into the dealer, spec the car as you would, request a sum equivalent to a 15% discount, walk away 120 seconds into him telling you it's impossible. Making sure he (she?) has your number.  Await the call later in the day.  Tell him to call back, after he pretends to "work on it", and say only one word; "Yes".

Wouldn't a getting one with a manual transmission prevent this?

How about over-revs and smouldering clutch linings?

Wouldn't PDK be a safe buy for a ex Demo car as isn't the PDK designed to last 10,000 or some such big number of full throttle launches?

I really don't think you've got to much to worry about for either transmissions with a couple thousand km old demo. 

This is why I love the forums!

Thanks for all the useful advice guys.

Airhead - that makes alot of sense! But as Peter M has said, isn't this the reason that you buy a Porsche - they're over-engineered to be able to tolerate hard driving like this?

KGB - I like the way that you approach this - ballsy, but if it works, a 15% discount will get the cost of an optioned new car down to what an ex-demo can be had for, food for thought. Surely you could only get 15% off a vehicle with alot of options rather than just the standard chrono, exhaust, glass sunroof which is what I am looking at?

Regardless, I'm going to keep looking and pushing and will be sure to let you all know when and if I get there.

Thanks

KGB - I like the way that you approach this - ballsy, but if it works, a 15% discount will get the cost of an optioned new car down to what an ex-demo can be had for, food for thought. Surely you could only get 15% off a vehicle with alot of options rather than just the standard chrono, exhaust, glass sunroof which is what I am looking at?

They've already conditioned your thinking haven't they....  Be calm and confident, WGAF is King! 

You may be able to get some extra warranty thrown in on a demo as the official warranty starts the day they register it and to add piece of mind in relation to previous drivers. The only issue with a demo is that it will have been driven hard without any running in which is not such a big thing these day. I wouldn't worry about the PDK it can take it and the software protects it from idiots. The clutch in a manual on the other hand is easy to toast. Over revs can be checked for with a scan tool. 

When driving the Turbo with PDK I have never had anybody try to challenge me at lights, well not that I know of anyway. 

If you choose PDK make sure it has Sport chrono and flappy paddle shift. They make a world of difference. 

I found this impressive in so many ways: Action starts about 50 seconds in.

PDK is nice for traffic light GPs but it gets old pretty quickly (you will have lots of idiots wanting to have it out with you). You gotta get one with a stick - more fun to be had esp on the twisty bits.

Yeah, wouldn't want a PDK, that guy in the video looks so bored.

:)

Hi Gronk - I have bought 2 ex demos from Porsche. When you buy one it will come with a full warranty, Porsche have to have the car in perfect working order to sell it to you, so brakes clutch types etc can't be cooked. There might be minor wear. Ask them how much those are worn and they have to tell you.

Your ex-demo won't have been on the track... Unlike many private buys... just my opinion

The Porsche dealers don't normally advertise what they have in the yard. I know my local has about 4-5 991.2 on the lot with minimal KM's and they are not online. 

OP have you been to your local dealer yet? How did you go?

wirthO,

I went in on the weekend - one in particular that I had seen on the website and wanted to test drive - was out and so didn't get a chance. Asked if I could test drive something else but the salesman was not too forthcoming which was a little disappointing. A few new 991.2s on the floor, one in particular that had all the options that I'm after - beautiful car. I'll go in sometime this weekend again and see how I go.

wirthO,

I went in on the weekend - one in particular that I had seen on the website and wanted to test drive - was out and so didn't get a chance. Asked if I could test drive something else but the salesman was not too forthcoming which was a little disappointing. A few new 991.2s on the floor, one in particular that had all the options that I'm after - beautiful car. I'll go in sometime this weekend again and see how I go.

I believe there are a couple of dealers in Sydney? 

Perhaps see if you can get the new GTS? ?

Good luck with the purchase. 

I never understand the view that somebody would rather buy privately than a demo from a dealer. In both cases, somebody could thrash the car but it is actually very rare with a dealership. For instance, has anybody on here actually found a dealership that will allow you to test drive launch control? And to be sure, you can get a print out to show whether it has happened. Contrary to popular belief, people don't thrash cars on test drives because they have the dealer sitting next to them and they simply won't let it happen. I have yet to meet a dealer in high performance cars that is happy to sit there while you significantly break the speed limits. The dealers i know ensure their cars are kept to the highest standard and also put them through a full check before a buyer picks them up.

You also need to know that demo cars are actually a tax dodge and a way that manufacturer can "reward" dealerships because they make more profit on them due to  buying them at discount (which is why you should get a great deal) and the manufacturer funds the car.

I have bought a number of high performance demo cars and have never had an issue with them. If the price is right, it is a great way of saving some money.

I have yet to meet a dealer in high performance cars that is happy to sit there while you significantly break the speed limits.

Different dealers different outcomes. One of the largest car sales streets in Sydney is located near a large industrial estate. 'A guy I know' has stood on quite a few performance cars and it has never raised an objection from a dealer. Admittedly only ever in a straight line, no sideways shenanigans.

wirthO,

gronk which options are you looking to get?

I've seen dealer plebs thrashing new cars from a cold start often, demo or otherwise. Even vehicle's in for service. Caught one on my dash cam in the 370z.

It's not a Porsche I know. You can't afford to by too pedantic. Sh1t happens all the time we can't control. 

wirthO,

I was looking at getting:

Agate gray (or white/ black if available and good price) but gray preference

PDK

Sports Chrono

Sports Exhaust

Glas sliding sunroof

- all fairly standard options, nothing exotic, so think that there should be quite a few examples around/ ex-demos etc, just about findiing the right price now

Archived