Real World Over Revs - Water World Questions

symsy

So im a month into taking water into my diet and I have got forumed out so I wanted ask 

Whats your views and beyond the technical mega breakdown that I know is in a GT3 thread…on what defines an over rev.. what do they actually sound and look like.

When a GT3 or other car hits the old rev limiter ..   A ) Does it show up in the OBD .. B) what do we think is it doing to the engine.  Is it such a crime to hit the rev limiter.. I aint got there yet but I sense the urge to stamp and squeeze the throttle a little harder is growing

There is obviously the discussions on the money grab down change issues which I think we all agree is the things of nightmares but other than that I wanna debate.

Im a kinda visceral guy , kick tyres , smell petrol , burn rubber .. excuse the indulgence , I mean I just found out the way to get a comfort fit in the carbon bucket seats is to loose 3 kilos… shit that in the real world meant a lot of broken coffee meetings and bacon roll rendevouzs that I had to cancel

Maybe I can get Skidmakrks to comment he would maybe know about Orange stuff like this 

This topic has been covered before . Get yourself a motorbike as you want to get close to god.

Yeah I ve seen all the tech gobledeygoop  .. is this car parenting behaviour in this video considered abusive of the car or not?

Do you clip your kid round the ear or not ?

Im not talking notional controlled crying discussed on a forum Tassie, im talking ring its neck or sit chilled in the corner behind your keyboard debate?

PS the Ducati 1100 Hypermotard in the garage.. is my on my knees pulpit experience every now and then .. I recall calling out the thank God Words in prayer, mist times its ridden.

Plain and simple is the rev limiter and over rev? In ownership measure not OBD configuration land?  I think I heard in the VID ;)

It took 2 weeks? I would've thought 2 minutes;)

Ran out of road..

I believe that just kissing the limiter doesn`t show up as an over rev, having brain fade and holding it there may show as a Range 1 or 2. 

Higher range over revs are from downshifting to too low a gear, with your head up your own Bott Bott, and should be avoided at all costs, as the electronics have no control over the mechanical forces applied by Newtons third law.

@symsy this RS appears to have sequential, so you would think much lower risk of money shift. 

Over rev ranges are 250 rpm increments over the engine redline (8400 in your case) 

Type 1 - not classed as mechanical

Type 2 and up - mechanical 

Those vids are the biz.  Yours is too nice.  Makes me think you should have bought the ex jim richards RS and just thrashed the fuch out of it!

I use to bounce my 996 on the trevmcrev limiter frequently.  It's good for the IMS.  Splash that oil around.  Lube it up good.

Taking it to the limit whle under load would result in very little over rev. 

Suddenly unloading the engine while at full throttle and very close to the limit can result in a substantial over rev. This is not inertia but the released energy that still has to complete its cycle and a small ECU delay in calculating the revs. 

Take it to the limit as that is what limits are for.

I always assumed rev limiter was protection (unless downshifting stupidly).  The GT2 used to rev hard when it came on boost and was redlined in the 6s so it was very easy and common to tag the limiter.  Especially when launching hard in first gear.  Sounded cool - rat tat tat bouncing off the rock faces on Reefton Spur SMT.......

IMO you want to avoid hitting the limiter as much as possible, if you're buying a 997 it records more data about the over rev than the 996 i.e. there are more ranges.

The ECU records over-revs that can then be read by the dealership or by anyone with a Durametric..

There was this discussion not long ago on here I recall, but have a read of this:

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

Archived