Storage Unit for projects

Mike D'Silva

https://www.yourannex.com/site-plans

Unlike some, I don't have a lot of land and only have a 2 car garage... one half is car, the other half is bikes, benches, shelves etc...

So, not a lot of room to work. I saw the above link on a facebook post, and it kind of answers my problems, but doesn't see like it would be enough space in total.

Feel free to click, and see the development.. I believe it is due to complete in August. The location is about 10 minutes away form me; yes security is always a problem. But I think if I had enough space for a hoist, and a work area, it would be great to have the tools downstairs and then a chill area upstairs where I can make a drink, watch tv, and look down on my current project.

Wishful thinking?

I looked at the Mancave development plans at MotorClassica about 3 years ago, at the time I didn't have a decent garage and being so close to me it made sense. It seemed to take another 2 years to really get off the ground, so I'm pleased I didn't invest at the time as I think they're a bit overpriced now for what they are. Perhaps the time delay added cost to the build, I'm pretty sure it could've been built far faster from precast offsite manufactured panels rather than partly retaining what was already there. Great idea, don't get me wrong I really do think it's great but at the price point it's close to or more than the cost of an actual unit in that locale. I noticed them being advertised on TripleM last week and they're forever popping up on my Facebook feed so I'm sure they'll eventually sell them all, hope they do ?

What's access like?

I've looked at renting a couple of times, but one deal breaker always pops up - their opening hours suck!

For example you might want to take the car out for a SMT before 6am but they don't open until 9am, and close at 4pm.

If you were developing one of these, surely it'd make more sense to locate it next to a race track.

I don't believe so. You need to locate it close to either where people live or people work. If you need to do work on the car, you don't want a long drive out to a race track. For me, this is the biggest issue with this type of concept. I don't want my cars stored somewhere it takes too much time to get to and I don't want to work on my cars somewhere too far from work or home. 

These kinds of things are much more common in the UK where parking is much more of a premium.

i constantly think about having a business along these lines. But less just storage sheds and more full service classic car storage coupled with a mixture of options from outside hard stand to climate controlled with 24x7 streamed monitoring.  Plus a rentable hoist area and club-area with coffee couches pool table etc.  somewhere to drop in after your drive or track day, have a friendly chat with other people etc.    Mix with latest in access control and people can get 24x7 access to their car if needed, or have car delivered to airport if that is their thing.  Prob. delivered through an app for booking things etc.

the problem with this type of thing (in my mind) is that you're competing with regular small warehouse storage and people are going to make the hard numbers on price /sq m.  Some guys just need some concrete to stash a a project car under a tarp, or maybe a bit of rack space for a spare engine/box.   Add a bit of service and fun to that and provide a good mix of options and maybe it would be a winner.  But then I don't know as I aren't running a business of this type and these guys are.

To me cost of land would mean an extra-urban city fringe location rather than city centre.  But then as noted maybe the guys who want this are in apartments and only want it a ten minute drive away.  Hard to know without research.  Happy to see people starting to try the business model out.  The pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs after all.

One of these is currently underway in Newcastle, my son and I were thinking about buying one, starting prices were from $60k, it is located near an industrial center and about 12 mins from my place, unfortunately my money will be spent on the house.

Archived