911 engine clean

Philbee

Hi,

Just wondering.....  I popped the lid on the car yesterday and noticed a build up of dust all over the engine, engine bay, etc. I started wiping with a cloth and quickly realised I'm never going to get to all the nooks and crannies,  Can you just hose an engine down? The decklid is certainly not sealed so water must get in, drip on to the engine. Technically, is this ok to do - that is, get the garden hose on it and give it a good old zap? 

Yes just don,t get any water in the intakes cover them up , and go easy around the electrics eg dizzy just to be on safe side but should be fine  ....the engine gets wet when you drive the car in the rain ... 

Yes just don,t get any water in the intakes cover them up , and go easy around the electrics eg dizzy just to be on safe side but should be fine  ....the engine gets wet when you drive the car in the rain ... 

Ok good!  ...and the water will all run out below, not get stuck in pockets where it shouldn't?

Make sure you have a can of wd40 or something handy. After removing the plastic bag from the distributor, wipe all of the ignition leads, dizzy cap, etc. If it doesn't start, wd40 will be your friend. If you remove any plug leads, do it one at a time.

I always spray mine with a hose using a misting nozzle , after scrubbing with a soft long handled dish brush + detergent.

Of course keep electrics covered.

If cylinder heads are caked with grease/oil , you can blast via the fan with the engine running. This is well documented on Pelican/Rennlist and not harmful. That said , I haven't needed to.

Thanks guys, like the suggestions except Hugh's. His requires elbow grease. I mean there's "love thy car" and love the car.

It's definitely dust from the last SMT not dust from idle in garage dust!! So will try a few suggestions, maybe after this weeks SMT.

I'm saving the dust for whenever I have the engine out again.  It's too much back ache getting in there just to clean it.  

Be careful to not to get the dizzy wet.  You'll know if you have with misfires until it dries out.

Be careful to not to get the dizzy wet.  You'll know if you have with misfires until it dries out.

Smear a touch of silicone around the leads where they attach to the boots = end of problem.

Unless you are really like a kid with a water blaster that is.

Archived