$270k for a base 718 Cayman

I was in Hawaii over Christmas and every thing was cheaper than Sydney came home with a suit case full of brand name clothing ,,I really got good value for my money ,, such a beautiful place I could certainly move there for the rest of my days :)

Freight costs are just a BS dealer excuse to pump the price up even more ,I understand it may cost more to ship cars to Australia from Europe due to the distance ,,,But the dealers in Australia are just greedy and must be marking the price up much more so than dealers in other nations like the U.S and the U.K possibly this has to do with Australia having less dealers ,so there is less competition to get your dollar and they know that Aussie,s will pay that price because they can not get a better deal any where else ...

Still like you say it just dosn,t add up and someone is screw us really hard ,,,,I refer to a post that skidmarks made a few mouths back about the tax,s on a 991 R ,and I hope he chimes in to confirm this ....from memory the cars original dealer price was $450K ,,,,$130k of that was government tax,s and duties , GST etc ,that is just criminal  ......so the dealer was getting the remainder $320K ..That is one hell of a profit also  ..:o:o

You have your "facts"a little wrong. Dealer margins aren't the issue. Having looked at it through the eyes of BMW when I was offered a share in a dealership, having been involved with one in the UK, I can find no evidence of increased margins or profitability. The dealerships do make slightly higher margins, because over here, they have to pay higher prices to get their showrooms and workshops built and equipped, but the net return on capital is no different. The majority of the price difference goes straight to the manufacturer. Every time you hear a manufacturer defend the price difference, they say it is because of the costs of supporting the business over here. Some of that is correct but there is no doubt in my mind that manufacturers make significantly higher returns in Australia than in markets such as Europe and the USA.

I was in Hawaii over Christmas and every thing was cheaper than Sydney came home with a suit case full of brand name clothing ,,I really got good value for my money ,, such a beautiful place I could certainly move there for the rest of my days :)

It is a beautiful place and clothing, etc, is far cheaper than here, but they don't have any race tracks!!!!!

Whenever I see people driving expensive cars in Singapore I assume that they are squillionaires!

More so in Malaysia where their currency is three times as weak as ours is. 1AUD = 3RM.

I was recently in Abu Dhabi. There is no tax on cars, so they're cheap! You see a lot of luxury cars; Lamborghinis, Porsches, Ferraris, Rolls Royces parked on the street like they're Toyotas. 

Re the lower specs on cars in the US, I know someone who bought a brand new BMW 330i for $32,000USD. It was fully specced and included 5 years free servicing. This equates to approximately $42000!

I was in Hawaii over Christmas and every thing was cheaper than Sydney

Rodeo Drive would be cheaper than Sydney! ;) 

It's bloody sad that we have to buy overseas instead of supporting local business, as they obviously need sales to stay open, yet the brass tax is why pay double or triple for the same product? Buy Australian they say. How can we when most of the products are exactly that,  double the price! Doesn't make financial sense to MY wallet, and sorry, but I don't care about anyone elses

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on where you are in Aus. Around Sydney I never see old clunkers, which I think is mostly due to the Pink slip system in NSW. I think I saw more clunkers on LA roads on my recent trip, than on Sydney roads. I get crap at work for driving my Audi or Merc, but they are always the oldest cars in the carpark...

Don't go to work, that will solve the crap problem.

As it is I only go twice every 8 days and somehow that is still a full time job...?

Ah, that accounts for the videos. I always said to my wife " look at this guy, goes to work full time & makes these great videos & makes cars, champion" ha ha ha , well done!

Archived