$270k for a base 718 Cayman

Recently during a trip to Bangkok I dropped into a porsche dealership to have a look.

The luxury car dealerships have shops in Siam Paragon shopping mall including a Porsche Design luxury goods store.

Anyhow as a matter of calibration against our luxury car tax a base Cayman in Thailand without options is 6.9 million baht which at current exchange rates is approx $270k Aud. 

I was informed that luxury cars attract a tax of 300%

We are getting off lighlty in comparison. 

Saying that someone has it worse doesn't mean that your situation is suddenly better. My wife likes to pull that shit too - 'you're tired! I was the one up at 3am with the kids' - thats fantastic but it doesn't make me any less tired.

We get ripped off by a government handed monopoly and government taxation. Thais have it worse. Doesn't make our situation any better.

Yeah I agree. I was just adding that in as extra context. You tired mate?

I think we should look at it mathematically. If there's always a cheaper country, then somewhere the Porsches are free. That's how it works... right?

Driving around the US the past month it was quite an eye opener to see so many new ordinary "mundane" cars on the road, as well as the number of Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc... far more than you see over here.... :wacko: barely an old clunker to be seen....

Luxury car tax, this tax ,that tax ....... We all know who the criminals are in this country ,,,,,,,,,I like to refer to them as disorganized crime .....:P

img-a3690f61f7c80749537dd90962df5371.jpg[url=https:/

Sometimes but not always.... Mercedes kindly lay out what the rec retail of their models is, excl LCT, stamp duties, etc (It does include GST)

So a E350e retail in Aus is $118 660 (10% GST) - Govt taxes adds another $20k +/-

in the UK $78 600 incl VAT of 20% - actually that is all you have to pay over there.... so who is ripping us off? Mainly it is the dealer/ manufacturer....

Working backwards to some extent (taking out 10% and 20% respectively) Aus = $108k and UK = $65k +/- a bit due to other fees that may be hidden in there, but pretty close to what they would be sans tax. That is some freight cost!!

Freight costs are just a BS dealer excuse to pump the price up even more ,I understand it may cost more to ship cars to Australia from Europe due to the distance ,,,But the dealers in Australia are just greedy and must be marking the price up much more so than dealers in other nations like the U.S and the U.K possibly this has to do with Australia having less dealers ,so there is less competition to get your dollar and they know that Aussie,s will pay that price because they can not get a better deal any where else ...

Still like you say it just dosn,t add up and someone is screw us really hard ,,,,I refer to a post that skidmarks made a few mouths back about the tax,s on a 991 R ,and I hope he chimes in to confirm this ....from memory the cars original dealer price was $450K ,,,,$130k of that was government tax,s and duties , GST etc ,that is just criminal  ......so the dealer was getting the remainder $320K ..That is one hell of a profit also  ..:o:o

Driving around the US the past month it was quite an eye opener to see so many new ordinary "mundane" cars on the road, as well as the number of Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc... far more than you see over here.... :wacko: barely an old clunker to be seen....

I think it depends on where you are in Aus. Around Sydney I never see old clunkers, which I think is mostly due to the Pink slip system in NSW. I think I saw more clunkers on LA roads on my recent trip, than on Sydney roads. I get crap at work for driving my Audi or Merc, but they are always the oldest cars in the carpark...

I'm sure some of the reason for not winding AUD prices back to global parity (or thereabouts) other than the admission that they've been ripping off customers for years, is that it immediately devalues the price of the recently sold vehicles and therefore a bunch of (usually) loyal, well-heeled customers will be mighty pi$$ed off and take their future $$ elsewhere.

Imagine the pain of taking your new, or newly purchased 2nd hand Porsche out this week and then next week PCA "rectifies" their prices... single day hit of maybe 30% depreciation.  Perhaps worse in those non-desirable 2nd hand cars because now your money stretches further... buyers market... tanked prices across the board.

On second thoughts, I'm in the market for a 911 in the next month or so.  Hurry up PCA!! :ph34r:

I'm sure some of the reason for not winding AUD prices back to global parity (or thereabouts) other than the admission that they've been ripping off customers for years, is that it immediately devalues the price of the recently sold vehicles and therefore a bunch of (usually) loyal, well-heeled customers will be mighty pi$$ed off and take their future $$ elsewhere.

I can tell you this is fact 

Remember though that USA prices are often skewed as many cars are apparently fly off the floor poverty spec. Profit via volume sales .

I can tell you this is fact 

Remember though that USA prices are often skewed as many cars are apparently fly off the floor poverty spec. Profit via volume sales .

This is a misconception. Japanese cars use to be pov spec in the US but euros and especially US cars are usually better specified than here. You can find outliers but on the whole cars in the US have a higher spec for less money.

There is definitely an element of cheaper dealer networks, but for a brand like Porsche which only needs sparse coverage thats another misconception. The highest cost differential to the dealers is land (or rent) and wages. Can't be that bad though because the mothership wouldn't own most of the dealers here if they weren't making a squillion per car sold right?

if they weren't making a squillion per car sold right?

Gotta pay the alleged $100,000,000 WEC campaign! Though not sure if this really sinks in with the average Porsche punter ; not many on this forum seem to follow or care about the WEC.

Imagine the pain of taking your new, or newly purchased 2nd hand Porsche out this week and then next week PCA "rectifies" their prices... single day hit of maybe 30% depreciation.  Perhaps worse in those non-desirable 2nd hand cars because now your money stretches further... buyers market... tanked prices across the board.

On second thoughts, I'm in the market for a 911 in the next month or so.  Hurry up PCA!! :ph34r:

If that was the only reason, then why do they gradually keep going up in price every year? Surely they can just keep the prices the same and eventually it will come back to balance. 

I know from watching Top Gear in years gone by, that if they quoted the price of a car in Pounds, you needed to multiply that number by 3 to get the approximate price in Dollars the same car would cost here.

Any way you look at it guy,s we get screwed from cars to clothing ,every thing is over priced in Australia the cost off living has sky rocketed  ,,,I buy many off my cloths and shoe,s online from overseas stores and it works out cheaper than buying it here ..........makes you wonder ????:o

Any way you look at it guy,s we get screwed from cars to clothing ,every thing is over priced in Australia the cost off living has sky rocketed  ,,,I buy many off my cloths and shoe,s online from overseas stores and it works out cheaper than buying it here ..........makes you wonder ????:o

That is certainly true with cars and anything automotive related, but I recently found out how expensive it can be in the USA and Canada. It may have been that we were mostly in tourist places (but not always) but food was no cheaper over there compared to here, real estate (especially nice stuff that I would choose to live in) was definitely not cheaper (again it could have been the locations - but I was comparing to where and what I live in), appliances and the like (the limited that I saw) seemed no cheaper, hotel/ tourist accommodation is certainly not cheaper and mostly more expensive especially around tourist spots! (you can stay in Sydney for far less than what it costs in NY city) and airfares are much more expensive in the USA and Canada. Insurance is way more expensive over there too. Overall you may be better off financially in the US but I would much rather live here!! Canada on the other hand you may be able to tempt me..... :) the other Victoria is quite nice :D

Oh yeah, also in the US you only get 2 weeks annual leave and your sick leave comes out of that as well.... cheap cars makes up for some of how they live, but give me Australia any day... and cheaper cars please!!

Archived