Old-911 beats new McLaren at the limit

Oh so true, and why new cars are becoming too capable so as to not be fun to drive at legal speeds. Especially the ones made after 2009. Probably why the late James Hunt preferred to drive an old Austin A35 van at the limit.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/old-911-beats-new-mclaren-at-the-limit

OK.  Going to sound like a complete w@nker but here goes ...

I've got first hand experience with both.  I use the one with the 650 hp pretty much every day.  Yep, its Wide Boy flashy and has loud (very orange) paint and makes all the right masculine pops and burbles. The door opening sequence and exit isn't elegant and shouts "my back is still OK for now and the knees are holding up".  Modest exits for women are near on impossible.  

I know this is a P forum but I will say that that bar none, its the best car I've ever driven.  Shoot me now ye Heathen Hunters ...

So, how does it drive?      

The nose bobs around, it tramlines on the crown/ ruts of the road, its tail happy under the Big Right Foot, got great forward vision, you see the tops of the front guards peaking up in your line of sight ... sound familiar?  And all this at road legal speeds.  

Coming back from a meeting this morning I tipped it in off Sydney Road onto the Ring Rd.  That corner is pretty bumpy, off camber and tightens on exit.  The car shimmied, I could feel the tyres gripping up, loads of lateral body movement and the nose pointed where I asked it to without any issues.  Tightened up when I got off the throttle.  Still sounding familiar? ... and it barks like a junk yard dog on start up. And I was not in licence loss territory.

It also rides like a 3 series, is comfortable on long trips, has a kicker sound system and the best Bluetooth this side of my Ford Ranger.  OK, no rear seats but in any 911 it's sub 4 yo's or double amputees only so not really a + or -.  Yes, when you let it off the leash its absolutely jail time bonkers and far too competent for me on any given day.  Other than on a track, I doubt I'd ever explore what it is truly capable of.  Yet, even at speeds that are not anti social, it still communicates - so long as you listen with an ear tuned to another frequency I suppose.

The G Series cars I have driven are without doubt a serious joy to drive.  All valve amp as opposed to Mosfets, circuit boards and high speed chips.  Yes, analogue in the extreme as opposed to being digitized and add to that the smell of 40 yo glues, carpet, seat filling, fuel, fan noise etc and its sublime.  My first P car was an 85 3.2.  I loved it and I have a couple now and I absolutely enjoy being behind the wheel when I get to take them out.

One last thing.  Whilst the Wide Boy is the best car I've ever driven, my favourite drive is in my '61 356.  Go figure ...

Fun but they can't kill you at legal speeds as opposed to last century no nanny aid cars. You tend to dangle your tail in the jaws of the wolf driving an old 911, and that's what makes it sort of fun, like rock climbing.

But that's OK! Danger does not have to be your middle name, but many car folk go by the middle name of Nostalgia ;<). 

Anyway I thought we'd agreed that controversy sells motoring journalism. 

Agree with Skidmarks. But can't really put my finger on it, or express in words why....The enjoyment of driving isn't always based on the fastest, loudest, best cornering, best braking, look at me car that you can grab the keys too. In 'this is cool' terms I always grab the keys to a 356SC over a 996 GT3 CS and 993tt. Always. Can't explain it...I just do...

Agree with Skidmarks. But can't really put my finger on it, or express in words why....The enjoyment of driving isn't always based on the fastest, loudest, best cornering, best braking, look at me car that you can grab the keys too. In 'this is cool' terms I always grab the keys to a 356SC over a 996 GT3 CS and 993tt. Always. Can't explain it...I just do...

But wasn't Skidmarks making the argument for the opposite? That the new cars are just as fun even at legal speeds.

But wasn't Skidmarks making the argument for the opposite? That the new cars are just as fun even at legal speeds.

I was. Feel good comes in all shapes and sizes. A cruise is a cruise. 

What I've been heartened by is the positive reaction to the Wide Boy.  Sort of expect scorn and derision. But no.  Almost always it's people pulling even with the car, thumbs up, mouthing "nice car".

Same drive back yesterday.  3 young guys in a beat up Commode.  Had just finished a shift somewhere and off to the rest of their day.  Pulled even, lots of waves, smiles and "nice car". The right thing to do was drop it 4 gears and open the taps and make noise. So I did. They pissed themselves laughing and got on with their day. And so did I. Everyone wins. 

Im sure we all get a bit of middle finger from some but hey, each to their own.

Simple appreciation of nice cars, whatever the badge, is not yet dead. And that's a good thing.  

I was. Feel good comes in all shapes and sizes. A cruise is a cruise. 

What I've been heartened by is the positive reaction to the Wide Boy.  Sort of expect scorn and derision. But no.  Almost always it's people pulling even with the car, thumbs up, mouthing "nice car".

Same drive back yesterday.  3 young guys in a beat up Commode.  Had just finished a shift somewhere and off to the rest of their day.  Pulled even, lots of waves, smiles and "nice car". The right thing to do was drop it 4 gears and open the taps and make noise. So I did. They pissed themselves laughing and got on with their day. And so did I. Everyone wins. 

Im sure we all get a bit of middle finger from some but hey, each to their own.

Simple appreciation of nice cars, whatever the badge, is not yet dead. And that's a good thing.  

I don't disagree with cars like the 650 getting a lot of admiration/attention/appreciation (I did and do get (albeit very rarely) the same reactions from driving my previous Boxster S and current Spyder) but I don't think it was the gist of the article. Yes, acknowledgment of the car is nice but I believe the article was talking about having fun driving the vehicle at the limit which would be impossible with the 650 on public roads. (without risking it getting confiscated and one facing an extended stay in jail)

Agree with you, having a lightly modified 996 TT an 7/2 the performance is way more than you can use on the road without fear of losing your licence.  They need a racetrack or drag strip to really be able to enjoy the performance properly.  Going for a cruise or popping down to a morning meet is obviously no issue but more than 4 seconds on the loud pedal and you're going to be well past the speed limits. 

The 356 on the other hand you can enjoy at much lower speeds and I think people really get a kick of seeing the older stuff still out and about being used.   Fun is fun and I love the old and new but with the newer stuff it is very hard to use any of the performance on the road.

Anyone seen that video of two guys in the veyron going up to 200 mph and back down again, then back up again to 200 on the autobahn?  Sure looks like fun to me :)

Unfortunately we don't have the autobahn over here. The closest thing is that no speed limit stretch of road in the NT.

I don't disagree with cars like the 650 getting a lot of admiration/attention/appreciation (I did and do get (albeit very rarely) the same reactions from driving my previous Boxster S and current Spyder) but I don't think it was the gist of the article. Yes, acknowledgment of the car is nice but I believe the article was talking about having fun driving the vehicle at the limit which would be impossible with the 650 on public roads. (without risking it getting confiscated and one facing an extended stay in jail)

I tried the G series at the limit.  it is possible to be in confiscation territory.  I manage to have fun in the 650 on public roads at legal speeds.  You just have to find the road.  

Archived