Long commutes kill your brain?

You don't start to worry about these things until it's too late

Luckily my commute is 12-15 minutes. Hopefully I'll still have enough faculties to be driving old Porsches in my 80s. Well , that's the plan!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/your-long-daily-commute-in-traffic-might-be-helping-to-slowly-kill-your-brain/news-story/0629d6a21dbc28d0e27fc37376c1d3e0

The study found that brain power was lower and fell faster in middle-aged people who drove long distances each day compared to those who didn’t.

Ever seen the movie 'Falling Down' ? That's me in the not too distant future! ?

I want the job of these survey 'experts', as they seem to get paid to not do a lot, then release statements about their amazing findings that most people with half a brain already knew!  Must be the same mob that compared a Macan with a 944 ??? 

I want the job of these survey 'experts', as they seem to get paid to not do a lot, then release statements about their amazing findings that most people with half a brain already knew!  Must be the same mob that compared a Macan with a 944 ??? 

Well it was a pretty robust study , and I am a study skeptic. But such stats are used to guide govt policy , which isn't always a bad thing. Pollies acting on gut instincts are just dangerous.

Oh and you can have the epidemiology job. Virgin Australia are now offering 4 hour "certs" on all sorts of random stuff to while away those long flights...

Don't breathe in too many diesel or kero fumes either.

Long commutes are the fast way to the poor house, mad house and fat house.  

Hmm , taxi drivers , bus & truck drivers past a certain age = heart attack material . A lot of it is self inflicted and inflicts pain on the health system we all pay for. But people don't really see that big picture do they?

Most peopel enter politics with the best of intentions, but they all eventually turn into politicians ....!!

Sounds like the ultimate hypocrite Peter Garret who is now back singing his anti political songs! Spanker

If this is the case then the stupid state government of NSW needs to fix the roads and sort out the daily traffic jams to save us all from impending brain damage ........krut.gif  

If this is the case then the stupid state government of NSW needs to fix the roads and sort out the daily traffic jams to save us all from impending brain damage ........krut.gif  

Exactly why such research is done , someone trying to get scientific evidence that forces sociopolitical  change.

Problem is the pollie's mothers copped too many monoxide fumes , and epigenetics has done the rest...

May also add that we are paying for the privilege of hour and half plus commutes with tolls on every major road ............brain damage and an empty wallet who could ask for more ........;) I often refer to government as disorganized crime :P

It's bad enough that the sitting posture alone causes changes that promote fat deposition.

I have an active office space as I want try and avoid the diseases of old age. 

The worst thing is a long commute , an office day - followed by another long commute & an evening on the couch.

The hardest gym session in the world won't overcome the effects of that Western "regime".

Depressing ain't it?

I often refer to government as disorganized crime :P

I've never met a politician I haven't wanted to walk away from, and I've yet to hear a politician speak and actually believe the words coming out of his mouth. 

said Ray Winstone , of "Scum" & "Sweeney" notoriety 

I do quite a few kays per week driving around getting to sites, though I have a physical job which keeps me more active than most at 51. Just gotta work on not eating crap food before and after work! 

You don't start to worry about these things until it's too late

Luckily my commute is 12-15 minutes. Hopefully I'll still have enough faculties to be driving old Porsches in my 80s. Well , that's the plan!

http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/your-long-daily-commute-in-traffic-might-be-helping-to-slowly-kill-your-brain/news-story/0629d6a21dbc28d0e27fc37376c1d3e0

I dunno... I have a long commute each day & I listen to the news, check my email, sing along to some music, abuse a few knob drivers, send a text or 2, fiddle with my satnav, drink my coffee, occasionally use my indicator cos I'm in Melbourne... And it seems to keep my brain pretty active I reckon!

Interesting article.

With the 'working from home' trend in full effect at a lot of companies I wonder if that's better or worse for peoples health and mental wellbeing than a long commute to work.

I dunno... I have a long commute each day & I listen to the news, check my email, sing along to some music, abuse a few knob drivers, send a text or 2, fiddle with my satnav, drink my coffee, occasionally use my indicator cos I'm in Melbourne... And it seems to keep my brain pretty active I reckon!

And don't look at the road or the traffic like 99% of the other "drivers" in Melbourne I'm guessin'. :P

Archived