Where to buy 6Spd Transaxel Oil in AU?

80XTR

Hi,

Was looking to buy the Porsche 6 Spd Transaxle oil from the USA (000-043-305-49-OEM) mainly because I wasn't able to get it from my local dealer, but have now found that they won't ship the stuff internationally due to the HAZMAT risks... so, wondering where folks buy the good oil from in the land of down-under?

Anyone aware of someone selling the OEM stuff in 1 LTR bottles or similar? Don't really want to pay 5x the amount just to have the dealer drain/replace oil in a 15 year old car !?

G

My Boxster S 6 speed manual transmission 75W90 oil is Porsche part #999 917 546 00 -  this oil is used in the 986 / 996 6 speed transmissions.

I bought it from Porsche Centre Brisbane.

You will find that many manufacturers blend 75W90 GL4 or GL5 gear oils but only Shell make the specific oil for Porsche transaxles which is both GL4&5. The cold shifting is superior to other lubes.

I bought it from Porsche Centre Brisbane.

At $70 per liter, it sure isn't cheap and almost 2x the price quoted in the USA - so it would want to be absolutely heaps better than Motul Gear 300 75W-90 which also seems to be the alternative top favorite that returns a similar result (or even better). If it was $50 per bottle, I'd be more inclined to give it a go, but pushing near $210 seems high.

I was under the belief that Mobil actually supplied the gearbox oil to Porsche and the stuff from the dealers was actually relabelled Mobil Delvac synthetic gear oil 75w-90 like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOBIL-112811-Synthetic-Gear-Oil-75W-90/221575540264?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Even if its not I only hear good things about this gearbox oil in our post '87 G50 based transmissions.

I've bought oil off Amazon previously so I don't think there is a hard and fast rule with OS shipping.  The eBay link above indicates it's possible so I can't see why not.

EDIT:  Enough yakky yak I just did for $115 gallon delivered.  Expected delivery between 12 and 21 August. 

Both the Mobil and Redline gear oils quoted above are API GL-5 specs which are more aggressive on synchro's than the required GL-4&5 required in the 6 speed transaxles.

I guess I look at the oil change interval (I think) @ about 150,000 km so spending $70 litre is not a large amount of money amortised over several years......     

Both the Mobil and Redline gear oils quoted above are API GL-5 specs which are more aggressive on synchro's than the required GL-4&5 required in the 6 speed transaxles.

I guess I look at the oil change interval (I think) @ about 150,000 km so spending $70 litre is not a large amount of money amortised over several years......     

What do you mean by more aggressive on the syncros

I was under the belief that Mobil actually supplied the gearbox oil to Porsche and the stuff from the dealers was actually relabelled Mobil Delvac synthetic gear oil 75w-90 like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MOBIL-112811-Synthetic-Gear-Oil-75W-90/221575540264?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Even if its not I only hear good things about this gearbox oil in our post '87 G50 based transmissions.

I've bought oil off Amazon previously so I don't think there is a hard and fast rule with OS shipping.  The eBay link above indicates it's possible so I can't see why not.

EDIT:  Enough yakky yak I just did for $115 gallon delivered.  Expected delivery between 12 and 21 August. 

I bought a 20 litre drum from somewhere here in aus.. used it in a 915 and also my 964..  

I'd be careful about just using any GL-5 oil for this reason....

API GL-4 tends to be better suited to syncros because it contains less additives that keep the bonds strong - the API GL-5 (which is suited for diffs) tends to strip copper off the meshing components (syncros) because it is designed to work in high-torque environments in diffs. As we are applying oil in a transaxle, which does both, the choice between the right balance of GL-4 vs GL-5 needs to be made and I'm guessing Porsche (in their typical wisdom) took an approach with metals that makes the matching of correct oil a bit tricky than the usual "Any Mobile Gear Oil Is Fine".... from reading I've seen, the correct oil is from Shell and they made it for Porsche to suit the 6 speed box.

I agree with 80XTR.

Read up on gear oils with type GL-4 and GL-5 specs & you would discover that what makes a GL-5 lube, prevents it from being a GL-4 rating. The difference is an additive package specifically for improving the performance of certain types of limited slip differentials, but which is also known to attack certain metal alloys like the synchronizer rings used in transmissions which require GL-4 rated lubes.  Porsche uses a unique gear oil that is manufactured for them by Shell.

Most manufacture's lubes for transmissions probably know that it is an unusual product with unique specs, and that they have nothing comparable possibly because of the small market. These lube oil makers usually claim to have a match, only problem was that their "matches" can cause hard shifting, especially when cold. I can't comment on the wear aspect.

You should be able to buy just the oil from a dealer? If you're happy try a good alternative I use Motul Gear 300 in my car.

if the price of Cayenne gearbox oil is anything to go by, the dealer would be the last point of call ($80 a litre...)

Really?  Porsche specify API Classification GL5 75w90

That's not exactly unicorn jizz in my book.

Can you back that statement up with a reference or two for my education please?

I think Porsche recommend and warrant their transmission oil which has evil unicorn jizz mixed with orangutan sweat.... I know that's true because I tasted it and it wasn't a sweet as normal GL5 75w90 oil.

Hi,

Was looking to buy the Porsche 6 Spd Transaxle oil from the USA (000-043-305-49-OEM) mainly because I wasn't able to get it from my local dealer, but have now found that they won't ship the stuff internationally due to the HAZMAT risks... so, wondering where folks buy the good oil from in the land of down-under?

Anyone aware of someone selling the OEM stuff in 1 LTR bottles or similar? Don't really want to pay 5x the amount just to have the dealer drain/replace oil in a 15 year old car !?

G

Not one to not dollar cost average when buying parts from overseas to get bang for buck on shipping costs, but I would send an email off to the contact details on the www.easy-square.com website.  I paid 23 euro not so long ago and looked up the "99991754600" before posting and they are showing circa 25 euro, but they too may have restrictions on their OS shipping of fluids.  (eg BMW M3 diff oil was not available when I put in an order two weeks ago but they quoted a price on their website).   FYI, maximum shipping I have paid was 125 euro (that order including a front chin spoiler with about 30 other bits in the same box including some fluids) 

Peter M, I'm only talking about the 6 speed gearbox / diff transaxles fitted to 986/996 cars requiring GL4/GL5 lubricants - I'm not familiar with other Porsche 6 seed units. I don't have my handbook with me to check what the specs say re #4 or #5, but I only use the Porsche lube #999.917.546. as I have been disappointed with alternative oils in the past.

Generally speaking, GL4 specs are great for gearboxes and GL5 specs are for diffs, but of course our transaxles are combined.

A manual transmission won't usually contain Hypoid gears, so it doesn't need an EP oil. But, in transaxles (as in the 996 / 986) where the crownwheel and gearbox share the same lubricant, hypoid gear oil is needed. Hypoid gear oils contain greater amounts of sulphur or sulphur / phosphate compounds to withstand the higher hydrodynamic pressures and prevent  shearing. One problem with these compounds is that they can chemically react with the parts in the transmission, especially yellow metal such as some synchro's.

I cannot find any information on the composition of the Porsche tranny's internals, but if they are using any brass, GL-5 lubes can cause premature wear.

SpiraxPorscheApproval_zpsojxdnho1.jpg

Mike,

i thought it would be pretty shit in a 915 but excellent in a 964!  Was that how you found it?

I didn't own the 915 car for long, but while I had it, it shifted great. Really clean, and slick.. no hesitation cold or hot.

My 964 is slow to shift and has been with redline, penrite and now Mobil... 

Replaced the transmission oil with Motul 300 and it is now light vs day in comparison. The service history stated it was last replaced by an independent who put Mobil gear oil in - assuming that was what was in it, I can see why people replace it with Porsche or this similar Motul fluid. Couldn't be happier!

• 1 year later...

This recent post by Bill V and reading the product data sheet for Mobil PTX ties it all together nicely:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/10194614-post18.html

http://konetex.ee/failid/galerii_pildid/MOBILUBE PTX 75W90.pdf  (Not the latest but it was easy to link!)

Since PTX and S5 are a pain to purchase and Delvac doesn't give perfect cold shifts, I'm going to use Motul 300 75w-90 gear oil too that I can buy locally at a reasonable cost!

Thanks guys! 

I recently changed the 6 speed transmission fluid in my 996.

After reading all the information available I went with Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75W-90

Product Data sheet claims suitable for Porsche.

Available from Autobarn and Repco in 1 litre bottles.

I found the gear changes are smooth using this fluid. 

SYNTRAX UNIVERSAL PLUS 75W-90_467192_2013-12.pdf

Archived