New 718 cayman S owner - advice needed

Hi all

I recently purchased a new 718 cayman S 2017 model. Just a few questions I have, hoping some of you can help:

1. During the break-in period (I've read for days on whether you should break in or not and I've opted to follow the manual), it states in the manual:

Running in the vehicle (for the first 3000kms):

1. Preferably take longer trips. If possible, avoid frequent cold starts with short distances

2. Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, or similar.

3. Avoid high speeds of over 4,000 revs per minute. Drive at low speed when the engine is cold.

My questions:

1. Is a short distance classified as driving somewhere and not letting the oil completely heat up? Porsche aren't very prescriptive.

2. I've read everywhere here that you should keep it under 4000 rpm during a warmup, yet that sentence implies you should be keeping it well below 4000 rpm during warmup? Interestingly enough, in the "Starting the engine" section they state:

Avoid high revs and full thottle until the engine has reached operating temperature.

In both sections are they just implying don't red line the car when it's cold? They're not specific with RPM limit during warmup.

3. The dealership told me to take it to 5000 rpm during the break in period, although the manual states 4000 rpm. Has anyone been told by senior dealership personnel (or people who actually know what they're talking about) about what RPM to stick to during break in? 

4. I anticipate a barrage of abuse and sarcasm here but I'll ask the question anyway to satisfy my own car OCD (after all the car did cost $170k and I intend to keep it for a long time). The car has about 500kms on it and stupid me hit about 5000 rpm for a about two seconds whilst driving on 3-4 different occasions when the engine was cold. Would this have caused any damage? Hopefully some serious responses along with the sarcasm to help me sleep better at night :)

Cheers guys

Whatever the factory manual says is a guide and should be adhered to as close as possible, as they're the experts, not a salesman. A slight over rev isn't going to hurt the engine. 

Pretty much just drive it like you would until you've done 3000ks.  take it here and there. It's not stolen so take it easy. if you go over 4000rpm it's not going to do any damage. 

The cold start is pretty much the same after break in. dont go limiter bashing the car when cold. 

Enjoy the car. 

I had rotory engines in my 20s which have steel and alloy housings which heat at a different rate until at operating temperature. It meant I learned the concept of a full operating temperature before driving. I still do this especially in the Porsche since a rebuild is so expensive. Tolerances are so fine in newer engines which makes it all the more important. 

Only my considered opinion 

Congratulations on your new car. I've run in a few new P cars & in my experience they don't really loosen up until somewhere between 6-8,000ks, although these were all 6's not the new 4's. You will "feel" when it's run in if you have some mechanical sympathy for cars. Definitely follow the manual as a minimum though.

To try and give you my understanding on some of the questions youve asked.

1) Short driving distance - 5 minute trips up to the shops, Id avoid. Let your fluids get warm, your coolant will get to operating temperature quickly (how the thermostat is intended to work), once its there, oil will slowly follow. 

2) Anything under 4000RPM during the warmup is fine. What Im surprised that is not mentioned is not to load/bog the motor down, for example, doing 60km/h in 6th at low rpm and then going to 50-70% throttle. 

3) Follow what is in the manual, the dealer might have had other numbers mixed in his head from other models.

4) Unlikely any damage was caused. 

Its obvious you care about your car, so Id advice doing some research on why an engine needs to be run in in the first place. It will help you understand and answer a lot of your own questions. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Break-in_(mechanical_run-in)

Whatever the factory manual says is a guide and should be adhered to as close as possible, as they're the experts, not a salesman. A slight over rev isn't going to hurt the engine. 

hey!

we salesman are experts too!!! (at what I am not quite sure yet...)

:)

Welcome porsche718.

I remember when I bought my WRX in 1998, I was told to not take it over 3500 for first 1600 klms and to idle the car for a few minutes after a long drive.  I did all of the above and had many years of enjoyable driving.  

On another topic it seems you do not need to idle turbos any more before shutting down the motor.  My Mercedes Benz certainly does not mention to do this in the manual and @porsche718 did not mention that the dealer or manual had advised him to do this either.  Any reason for this change in thinking?  I know it was something about keeping the oil flowing through the turbo to help cool it down.  Have manufacturers installed some device that helps the turbo cool down when turned off or are the turbos now more robust?

Any reason for this change in thinking?  I know it was something about keeping the oil flowing through the turbo to help cool it down.  Have manufacturers installed some device that helps the turbo cool down when turned off or are the turbos now more robust?

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but the 718 has a small turbo and is not additionally cooled?

With electric powered water pumps, manufacturers were able to have a factory "turbo timer" integrated, but Im curious how they do it with Turbos that only have oil feed and no coolant.  

Archived