Help me choose 996tt or 997.1 C4S

Thommo66

Just a view, but as an educated guess,, based on seeing bugger all 996tt manuals that have  come up and worthy of picking up  based on initial advertised pricing (particularly if you have a thing about being under 100k km travelled) for quite some time, my educated guess is as a baseline, $110k for a series 1 996tt manual (stock or lightly modded eg tune / exhaust ) on the right side of 100km's, decent service history supported by stamps  and it having a very clean PPI (inclusive of compression and leakdown test).  is about the mark where you may see some value   I would treat advertised prices as no more than a guide and what looks like a big/ tempting drop of say 10k and it not being snapped up immediately is a sign that it may have been over priced initially and perhaps even now.   

I can have an eye for detail at times if it comes to numbers.  Heres something for general discussion if you perhaps have a keen eye on the numbers / does info provided in the advertisement match the puffery of words in the advertisement .

I will disclose that I am getting a bit toey (have a shite load of parts ready to go except of two key ones) with not having a service stamp in the books for just on over 12 months from the last and racking up about 2000km in that time frame from its lasts major service at PCM. 

Perhaps I'm misreading the stamps in the maintenance book or suffering from some missing (some receipts in between stamps) info not disclosed or am I bit dyslexic / over the top on when I get my cars serviced and particularly with my first P car, BUT

Does the following stamp action, align with "Well Maintained"  or I am being a bit harsh and OTT on stamps and who provided the stamp  are not the be all and end all. (Note  didn't see receipts come into play in  the ad)

Does 69409km  = serviced on 6/9/13 + 81867 = serviced on 7-11-2016 + 83900 and climbing as at 15 September constitute well maintained in the mezger 996tt world.  Or Are Mezgers / 996 tt's  that bullet proof, eg 4 years, travelled approximately 14500, two known services only.  Just  a view, but with 119k of coins ready to be dropped, I'd be interested in hearing the answer to besides the two services done in the last 4 years, any other coin been spent on maintaining the car to support the "well maintained claim".

Yes, looks like the car advertised has been well used like mine over the last 12 months

Thanks smit2100  ... i agree with your comments.  IF the 996tt manual is in such high demand why has it not been picked up by now.  

This is the only other manual ...same year BUT huge k's which explains the delta with car I have been looking at. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2001/SSE-AD-4823028/?Cr=0

• 2 weeks later...

What did you end up choosing? 

In case you're as yet undecided, I went through the same process over the last 9months. Was leaning towards 996tt but eventually bought a 997.1tt as a car came up that I perceived to be a "good buy". Had not looked at one prior. I had driven 996 3.6/996tt/997.2c2s/997.1 3.6 all in manuals before buying the 997.1tt. If I had my choices again I would've bought the first good car I drove rather than waited so long as the hunt became an obsession...have absolutely no regrets with the 997 though!

I think if the only driving you'll do is on the road then the 997.2 will be as enjoyable as a 996tt. You'll get used to the power in either car. The only negative of the turbo is that it's too quick for the road and you feel like you're driving it at less than 5/10ths on public roads. In my opinion (and general consensus) the Interior is better in the 997. The exterior however is in the eye of the beholder. I personally prefer the less aggressive curves of the 996tt.

Good luck

In case you're as yet undecided, I went through the same process over the last 9months. Was leaning towards 996tt but eventually bought a 997.1tt as a car came up that I perceived to be a "good buy". Had not looked at one prior. I had driven 996 3.6/996tt/997.2c2s/997.1 3.6 all in manuals before buying the 997.1tt. If I had my choices again I would've bought the first good car I drove rather than waited so long as the hunt became an obsession...have absolutely no regrets with the 997 though!

I think if the only driving you'll do is on the road then the 997.2 will be as enjoyable as a 996tt. You'll get used to the power in either car. The only negative of the turbo is that it's too quick for the road and you feel like you're driving it at less than 5/10ths on public roads. In my opinion (and general consensus) the Interior is better in the 997. The exterior however is in the eye of the beholder. I personally prefer the less aggressive curves of the 996tt.

Good luck

Hi Guys.  Been offline for awhile and on the road actually driving more cars - which helps ! ... i think :)  Btm line no purchase - yet 

Sometimes I think I'm worse than my teenager kids with FOMO ( fear of missing out ).  Too many great cars to choose from.  Nice first world problem to have.

Since last post I have driven the following cars: 

• '96 993 C2 tip just under 100ks on clock.  Very nice car.  Really liked the classic look/feel/sound.  Was unable to really put it through it's paces. Suburban driving.  Left me interested but thinking that a manual might still be more fun
  • '06 997.1 C tip 134k's on clock. Was able to drive this for most of the afternoon around Lorne. Gave it a great run up Deans Marsh road etc for those who know it.  Lots of fun to drive. Enough power for my skills/competency as a driver.  Good creature comforts although I thought the dash/centre console was pretty bland and a bit tacky given how solid everything was
  • '05 993 C2 manual over 200ks.  Very well maintained car ( ex-P mechanic) and whilst I was unable to take it for a long run, it still felt more fun than the previous tip I had driven. Very smooth. Loved the sound/looks etc.  Interestingly more difficult to drive in as much as my gear changing skills require some improvement.  Clearly a more challenging/interesting car to drive than the 997
  • '03 996tt tip with 70k's on clock.  I drove this earlier today.  Very solid and clean car.  Clearly an easy dd car if I wanted to use it that way which I will not be.  Very comfortable with more mod cons. Sensor parking. Ph connector. GPS etc.  Clearly a rocket when I put my foot down.  Exhilirating for sure.  Notwithstanding, as Jase11 has said above - I wonder whether it's almost too fast and how often I will actually get to enjoy the use of that power in the car.  ( as stupid as this sounds ... can imagine you guys shaking your head now )

And then to make life interesting on the way home, I drove straight past this really hot chick who was getting out of her 997tt and just had to stop for a quick chat ( as you do ).  She was telling me how much she loves the car and had to sell the last one (996tt) because she loved the original shape much more (headlights). Blah blah !

So. Feeling like I would be happy in either a good 993 manual or 996/997 turbo.  While I also like the other 997's I'm thinking the others would be more fun for me personally.

I'm seeing a '97 993 C S manual tomorrow.  Seriously stretching the budget but looks like a great car.

Well I think you are on the right track. Take your time, the market is cooling down ATM.

If it's a keeper, look at the production numbers / volume to help your decision, if you want to minimise depreciation.

If you think you might do some track days (which you should to appreciate a porsche). A very fast road car will feel very slow on a track.

Set your budget, then leave a little room to move based on what your seat of pants and heart feels. It is a significant investment.

Well now you are changing the criteria completely bringing the 993 into the equation. Even if you are stretching your budget, I think the 993 would be the more visceral weekend car. Another great side benefit, and I know it has been mentioned at length, but the 997 still has a lot of depreciating to do...

Good luck

Hey Gents.  I think I've settled my decision making down to a 996tt.  I'd like to stretch to a 997.11tt but it looks like it's out of my reach and the 996tt seems plenty fast for me.

Can you please give me your views on what a fair current purchase price is in ( VIC ).  I know I could go interstate but my preference would be the Melb/VIC marketplace.

Assume Aust delivered MY02 or MY03 manual as baseline in a great to an excellent condition car with regular accountable service intervals as expected.  Also no more than between 70-90,000 on clock. 

Also any perspectives on demand premium on manual $ over auto/tip would be helpful. 

Thanks in advance.

Another data point for you:

https://promotive.com.au/projects/

This has been for sale since March and has a similar number of kms. 

I would consider this car if it's still available and I were a buyer. I inspected and test drove it a few months ago. Passed based on a few small issues (didn't go ahead with a ppi) which in retrospect were probably irrelevant. 

Hey Gents.  I think I've settled my decision making down to a 996tt.  I'd like to stretch to a 997.11tt but it looks like it's out of my reach and the 996tt seems plenty fast for me.

Can you please give me your views on what a fair current purchase price is in ( VIC ).  I know I could go interstate but my preference would be the Melb/VIC marketplace.

Assume Aust delivered MY02 or MY03 manual as baseline in a great to an excellent condition car with regular accountable service intervals as expected.  Also no more than between 70-90,000 on clock. 

Also any perspectives on demand premium on manual $ over auto/tip would be helpful. 

Thanks in advance.

I'm a novice but based on recent experiences, I suspect you'll need to pay high 90's and up to 120k for an excellent, stock manual car with your requirements. I didn't consider tips but I suspect 10%-20% less for similar condition/km's. Good manual 996tt's are still in high demand (generally sell within weeks if not days) so you'll need to be prepared to act reasonably quickly if a suitable car comes up. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys.  

Just a quick thank you to all of you who took the time to reply to this thread.  I found it very helpful in my decision making as a first prospective P buyer.

I am now financial having taken the plunge and purchased a MY03 996tt manual arctic silver with 73 on odometer.  In fantastic condition and spotless service history from a chap I actually used to work with.  Small world when you start talking about Porsches as you all know !  Managed to pick it up prior to being advertised. 

Very happy with my decision.  Will post pics soon. 

Congratulations on the purchase, they are a great car. I picked up an Arctic Silver 2004 996TT manual with just under 19,000km on the clock 7 weeks ago. One owner. It still had the original front tyres but have since been replaced. This was like winning lotto. You have to be patient in looking for what you want and then be quick when vehicles like this appear on Carsales

Nice congrats, now someone sell me a off market manual 996TT. I drove one the other day, amazing cars.

But from experience, not all are alike, eg need to tinker with them and when you tinker with them a lot, yes great cars.  Wasn't the one you drove well tinkered will ?.  Eg I bet if you were in third and sitting around 60km/hr, unlike stock ones, I am guessing the throttle response and boost hit (bugger all lag) wasn't too shabby if you were generous on the throttle. 

Archived