My 944 Cabriolet

944s2cab

On 27/11/2017 at 6:06 AM, brian in buddina said:

Nice to see a 944 being restored. Beautiful job!

Thanks for the nice words, I wouldn't call it a restoration, more like "heavy maintenance"

On 27/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, OzJustin said:

Great restoration read so far. I'm also keen to hear your thoughts on the VEMS for an S2.

There's been a bit of a delay in the VEMS, Peeps last bluetooth module was faulty, so he's had to order a new batch, should be here soon,

I'm not going to reveal, but I have a power figure which I think is obtainable and will be well worth it, if achieved 

17 hours ago, jakroo said:

I too see the elephant image in the leather image Steve, so you're not alone.

Keep up the progress reports, and I hope soon the rear seat will be sorted (and the dog will have some new places to drop fur!)

Good, I'm glad I'm not seeing things, I think the dog might have to travel in the boot!!!

Bought a new battery today, $110 inc GST (there are perks to my job), fitted with the new battery bracket (from USA Ebay), was waiting for the Lithium battery from SSB to arrive but they are not expected for another 6months, Would be good to lose 10KG from the back end ( no Kim Kardashian jokes please)

ag9ovr0Gp7RP5n8Cy4qHOEo02h22rb3WCWa9gAnT

Turns over nice and fast now

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post about the stereo I have installed,

As you know the head unit is a Becker Indianapolis pro with bluetooth

Speakers are Infinity KAPPA 462.11cfp 4 X 6"

These are powered by an old school Hifonics Eagle amp, http://amp-performance.de/406-Hifonics-Eagle.html, mounted on a swing down mechanism by the bonnet pull lever,

Under the glove box is a slimline sub box/amp, https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21448_Focal-BUS-20.html

I'm very pleased with the sound quality and volume especially when you consider the limited space and stealth nature of the install.

Speaker baseplate with captive nuts were  fixed to the rear quarter trim panels to achieve better mid bass, I also disconnected the rear tweeters

8wbEBow3SNDsLSqcSHo29uqx76PpQD90oR-HKuHF

J1Xb-_phUqm8TvLB7iOP34Z5nIKEZp3bQ2SqTuTr

Following on from my previuos post, one of my Billies arrived on Friday,

Note, was pissed off that I didn't get the gland nut spanner as well, $5US extra on the order, but buy it on it's own, there's $50US postage!!!

this is how it sits inside after I ground off the crimped ends, the insert to the right is in the right position and the pencil mark is where I'll cut,

PvMQdb2mmjrMTR4q669Vf-JwfmL1XCvSyJ00M9vb

As the insert is not a snug fit after you clean off the paint and nickel plate, so I decided to drill four holes to plug weld to give extra strength, 

The Bilstein gland nut screws 6 turns in total, I subtracted 1 1/2 turns off for compression and torquing, once the height is right, scribe a line on insert

XiOaGhytPivzyvFvOU1jgC7qsgxaiAfJ4NcDwuCN

By wrapping tape twice around the threads the old cut off section was a snug fit,  I was sure that everything was square to weld

VI1zEvdaCZm_uUmjwLfDVKO2S50qyU16q1wXrVtY

Lined up with scribed marks

dmUGM4Z8VAMZMFiwoWwubtYAHDa2mUlIhXMgBC-F

Four holes for plug weld

OQqwJSWpuX0eaEQPTycEMqnYXvMUAmxm1VEFV89V

Because I ground off the crimps level with the old struts top plate, I know that that end is square

TPLrW62qr-FXBZxaFv9RYen-Uvxxt2vKCqgboml6

Jubilee clamp to keep everything lined up

pkOiDub55bjNhqKVBoooVxSU5Wg5x3hV1i5fJUtb

Tacked and trial fitted strut insert to make sure everything lines up

ncTEXdQkpqW0KJSyP4hcpqnKFKSq3ExgoKhXD2qi

Plug welded, plenty of penetration there!!

fSwh44b2BdyT0z3FbNXRZ_82ytw0Zfnm4NVdUOuB

My TIG is improving, not as good as my MIG work but practice makes perfect

ASjnnc7dBgju5TWYA8SSOzMsIcNAr1y6vpNCFdQI

After a clean up, prepped for primer

RAFGfMDCPqpo3PsymeEzc40mM0QXg0xZG7d_RoV0

Both done, some etch primer, ready for paint, Satin Black or Bilstein yellow????

chkuF63Xgo-xdKPpstBs_NNQz1seDlhQXSd-za6I

Nice job. I'll be interested to see if you get her to sit level, after all is done. I installed koni yellows and I'm not perfectly level. It wasn't level with the old, original shocks, but its  now a little closer. I will need to adjust the rear torsion bars ride adjustment.

Are you going to have any provision for height adjustment in the front with your new set up? 

No Height adjustment, Just the H&R springs which lower approx 30mm and polyurethane spring seats which are 19mm thick, So lowered by 10mm,

I wanted to set the suspension once and then leave alone, otherwise I'd for always be changing the settings,

Is yours lower at the front or rear?

SjBekVDVnbx1QaPzdCEWmE3wn4OMoRbcyRZ_U9J5

16 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Nice job. I'll be interested to see if you get her to sit level, after all is done. I installed koni yellows and I'm not perfectly level. It wasn't level with the old, original shocks, but its  now a little closer. I will need to adjust the rear torsion bars ride adjustment.

Are you going to have any provision for height adjustment in the front with your new set up? 

If it's only a little bit, you can use the height adjustment eccentric on the springplate (intended for corner balancing) to get your car level...saves messing about with reindexing your torsion bars.

This wouldn't happen to be the package you're waiting for from Estonia?

I'm really interested in hearing about and seeing more photos of your VEMS setup when it arrives.

So it uses the standard crank and cam sensors?

Are you deleting the AFM and replacing with a MAP?

Great thread BTW!  

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

This wouldn't happen to be the package you're waiting for from Estonia?

I'm really interested in hearing about and seeing more photos of your VEMS setup when it arrives.

So it uses the standard crank and cam sensors?

Are you deleting the AFM and replacing with a MAP?

Great thread BTW!  

Yep, that's my kit, really excited to get it up and running,

Deleting the AFM and running a vacuum hose to the VEMS ECU

Coil on plug, Bluetooth

future plans include sequential injector firing of (version 3 Bosch) injectors

1 hour ago, 944s2cab said:

future plans include sequential injector firing of (version 3 Bosch) injectors

So that just requires the installation of a 60-2 wheel behind the front crank pulley?

Will you gut your original AFM for the stealth look or just replace it with a straight tube?

Do you have a VEMS dyno expert in mind to do/check your calibration?

Will you do a before and after fitment dyno run to clearly demonstrate gains?

Sorry about the 20 questions, I'm just interested in this sort of stuff!

Thanks

Peter 

3 hours ago, Peter M said:

So that just requires the installation of a 60-2 wheel behind the front crank pulley?

Will you gut your original AFM for the stealth look or just replace it with a straight tube?

Do you have a VEMS dyno expert in mind to do/check your calibration?

Will you do a before and after fitment dyno run to clearly demonstrate gains?

Sorry about the 20 questions, I'm just interested in this sort of stuff!

Thanks

Peter 

Sequential injection is something I'd like mainly to stop the horrible tick tick of the batch firing injectors at idle, if it's too complicated, I might give it  a miss

I've got both, I gutted a spare AFM and I've got  an aluminium tubing which i welded a boss onto for the air temp sensor

VEMS (from Peep) comes with a basic map for whatever model you've got, but it also has the autotune feature,  which is a major reason why I went with VEMS instead of Microsquirt, Aurgtronic etc, Maybe a proper dyno session will get more power/drivability,

I did a dyno run last January,  which is posted on another thread, I'll go back to the same place

10 minutes ago, Timm said:

I'm also patiently awaiting for my VEMS kit to arrive....so excited!

Timm,

Do you know if there is a well regarded VEMS dyno tuner in Australia or are you guys being pioneers?

Peeps certainly puts up a compelling case!

14 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Timm,

Do you know if there is a well regarded VEMS dyno tuner in Australia or are you guys being pioneers?

Peeps certainly puts up a compelling case!

I think we are all being pioneers.

I intend to learn how to tune it myself.

9 hours ago, Timm said:

I think we are all being pioneers.

Excellent!

I have complete confidence in you and look forward to your future posts! 

I get the impression that Peeps gets it pretty close out of the box but realise that the whole purpose of going standalone is to optimise to one's particular circumstances.  No doubt the ecu's "self tune" abilities, peer reviews from the user forum and your own efforts go a long way but I think spending at least some time on a dyno with a trusted tuner is inevitable.

Are you going full sequential, COP and knock control?

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

Excellent!

I have complete confidence in you and look forward to your future posts! 

I get the impression that Peeps gets it pretty close out of the box but realise that the whole purpose of going standalone is to optimise to one's particular circumstances.  No doubt the ecu's "self tune" abilities, peer reviews from the user forum and your own efforts go a long way but I think spending at least some time on a dyno with a trusted tuner is inevitable.

Are you going full sequential, COP and knock control?

10 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Seems like there are a few aussie guys making the jump to VEMS. I'm very interested to hear how you all progress. I wish there was an aussie dyno tuner for those less inclined to self tune though.

Yes, you are probably right Peter...luckily my brother's friend is a tuner and I will probably end up doing a couple of dyno runs with him to give it a final check over. Justin, after we've got mine mine working well, I'd be up for helping you with yours should you take the plunge.

My setup will be a little different to 944s2Cab's due to being 8v turbo. I'll have the same knock control, as I believe that is a function of all VEMS units. I won't go sequential injection though, but will have much larger injectors as I'm planning to be able to go flex fuel e85 later on down the track. COP doesn't really fit on 8v cars, so I'll be going wasted spark with a remote coilpack...I think Peep used a landrover unit for this. I'll also have VEMS providing electronic boost control.

On 28/11/2017 at 6:31 PM, 944s2cab said:

Bought a new battery today, $110 inc GST (there are perks to my job)

Which battery did you end up going for? I have seen a few posts suggesting different batteries, but I also have a slightly slower turnover than I would like, so would be great to hear what you went with!

Pictures for the sound system upgrade don’t seem to be working but I would love to see more of that too 

Amazing job so far ??

1 hour ago, Wrighteou5 said:

Which battery did you end up going for? I have seen a few posts suggesting different batteries, but I also have a slightly slower turnover than I would like, so would be great to hear what you went with!

Pictures for the sound system upgrade don’t seem to be working but I would love to see more of that too 

Amazing job so far ??

Thanks for the heads up, one day I'll get this photo posting right!!

The battery was the larger of the two which will fit our cars, the other one was the SS55, this one was only 1.5kg heavier, 

_lwA5q823jbO9PYoGbIfb2VMNPVGMRTbFvPV9TtX

9 hours ago, Timm said:

Yes, you are probably right Peter...luckily my brother's friend is a tuner and I will probably end up doing a couple of dyno runs with him to give it a final check over. Justin, after we've got mine mine working well, I'd be up for helping you with yours should you take the plunge.

My setup will be a little different to 944s2Cab's due to being 8v turbo. I'll have the same knock control, as I believe that is a function of all VEMS units. I won't go sequential injection though, but will have much larger injectors as I'm planning to be able to go flex fuel e85 later on down the track. COP doesn't really fit on 8v cars, so I'll be going wasted spark with a remote coilpack...I think Peep used a landrover unit for this. I'll also have VEMS providing electronic boost control.

I might take you up on your offer Timm, though it will likely be a fair way down the road. :)

It will be very interesting to see the gains on your 8v Turbo. Are you intending to do a before/after dyno comparison with the same setup? Are you expecting the driveability to improve substantially with the modern ECU control?