GT3 997.1 Whats in a service

symsy

My car has had a myriad of services 

(Every service has been carried out by a Porsche main dealer):
  • 3,469 kms - service
  • 7,159 kms - service
  • 8,446 kms - service, plus new crankcase seal, new timing chain guide (warranty)
  • 13,554 kms - porsche inspection, service
  • 16,535 kms - service, plus new uni joint and stabiliser links
  • 18,338 kms - service, plus new rear main seal fitted
  • 19,693 kms - service, brake fluid flush
  • 20,855 kms - service
  • 20,947 kms - no service, new rear main seal fitted (warranty)
  • 21,056 kms - PPI inspection, Oil Change

So it leaves me a couple of questions and that is , why they dont really look at changing gearbox oils, diffrential oil  and what they would do that would signifcantly increase the costs on the service types

The commentary on that question so far from my dealer

1: Annual Service – Oil change service – basic $695.00 oil change service

2: Full Service / Major Service = $1963.19 – change of oil, oil filter, pollen/cabin filters, air filter, spark plugs.

Im gonna do in addition another brake flush, gearbox oil , diff oil and air bag system check , any other pointers from owners ..the normal blurb aint making much sense to me 

It depends where you go - for example, PCM has a focus on GT cars so you can talk to the folks who look after the Cup cars for advice. When I had my GT3 in for service at PCM they were pretty good to talk with. 

Brake fluid flush and Airbag checks are in your service book and are time based, if you're pushing the car hard I would flush the brake fluid annually

12 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

Brake fluid flush and Airbag checks are in your service book and are time based, if you're pushing the car hard I would flush the brake fluid annually

Or if you're running a race fluid which is rated for higher temperature, since it's more hygroscopic you will need to do it after each or a couple of track days depending on how hard your pushing or annually again depending on how much moisture has been absorbed. Learn how to do a flush, it's easy to do and you get to keep the fluid fresh and your brake pedal will feel amazing. Plus you will have hardly any fade unless your pads aren't up to the task! 

A couple of observations Steve...

If you want to change out some of the very easy maintenance items yourself (filters / brake fluid), you can get the OPC to complete the smaller (cheaper) minor service instead of the major (expensive) service. Paying several hundred dollars to change out an air / cabin filter which takes 15 minutes work is just crazy. 

1) Transmission oil includes the "diff" as the gearbox is a transaxle. About 3 litres of fluid, my experience is to stick with the Porsche oil as its a rare GL4/5 combo.

2) There are only 2 filters (excluding oil) cabin & air - both easy to install.

3) Spark plus only need to be replaced every 4 years.

4) If you change out the brake fluid, don't forget to bleed the clutch at the same time - it runs from the brake fluid reservoir and can be a sod to get to the clutch nipple.....but then you are good for another 2 years.

5) You can get a GT3 service kit from Design 911 in the UK for about 85 UK pounds. All genuine OEM bits too (Beru plugs, Hengst filters, etc).

Of course, we all know you're loaded with cash, so probably ignore the above and just send the car into the OPC Gold Coast with your American Express card......

46 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Mate I never order sparkling water at the fancy eatery or cocktails .. hence me asking the question.  I only go for main course ..and sometimes,  I eat two, some corners cant be cut and I hate that word retail.  I do much prefer cash over bitcoin , it seems to offer some leverage in many situations :)

I like OPC's like dentists, these beyond solicitors are the most expensive pages of A4 I ever pay for in my life.   

Good tips and I can assure many of them will/have been applied .. for now I need one thats  I feel probably says FULL SERVICE!! 

Im gonna be using the dollars saved on my Tyrekicking flight fund and another set of tyres once this puppy is given the appropriate love.

PS still unemployed .. got any work , im happy to pop up and wash your car, im not half a bad detailer.

17 minutes ago, symsy said:

Mate I never order sparkling water at the fancy eatery or cocktails .. hence me asking the question.  I only go for main course ..and sometimes,  I eat two, some corners cant be cut and I hate that word retail.  I do much prefer cash over bitcoin , it seems to offer some leverage in many situations :)

I like OPC's like dentists, these beyond solicitors are the most expensive pages of A4 I ever pay for in my life.   

Good tips and I can assure many of them will/have been applied .. for now I need one thats  I feel probably says FULL SERVICE!! 

Im gonna be using the dollars saved on my Tyrekicking flight fund and another set of tyres once this puppy is given the appropriate love.

PS still unemployed .. got any work , im happy to pop up and wash your car, im not half a bad detailer.

Do what everyone else in your part of the world does - go on the dole or grow weed; if you're motivated, do both

I tend to follow this @symsy 

Screen%20Shot%202018-02-20%20at%2011.59.

I've done the trans fluid a couple of times simply because I've had it apart twice, brake fluid annually, the coolant I've done because I had a bad radiator hose but they say its "filled for life" (which I don't agree with), brakes I seem to do annually, tyres the same, and one little preventative you can do is to change the clutch switch as these are known to leave owners in a no-start situation ($40 I think supply & fit). 

I use PCSS for the annual service stuff and PR Tech generally for the rest that I can't tackle myself.  

2 hours ago, symsy said:

.... probably says FULL SERVICE!! ....

I once met a girl just like that....:ConfusedGeek: 

In terms of the car, my suggestion would be to try and do your own stuff from time to time.  Most fluid changes are simple and can be done DIY.  Hell, even brake pads and discs can be done.

You've got the time to do these while you peruse seek or getmeajob.com

And if you really, really want to use the OPC for the stamp, you can save +/- $150 by supplying your own oil. I've jet to meet a service provider who refuses to let me supply my lube of choice, so I get my 10 litres of Porsche approved oil for $100 (on special of course) and have them install that instead of the Mobil liquid gold that the OPC are obliged to use.....

9 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

And if you really, really want to use the OPC for the stamp, you can save +/- $150 by supplying your own oil. I've jet to meet a service provider who refuses to let me supply my lube of choice, so I get my 10 litres of Porsche approved oil for $100 (on special of course) and have them install that instead of the Mobil liquid gold that the OPC are obliged to use.....

Interesting because at PCM I supply my own oil filter (I have an LN spin on filter adaptor) and they still charge me for the standard filter! In saying that they have fitted parts i've supplied including a new genuine clutch master cylinder so I can't complain too much. I'm going to check my bills tonight to see how much the oil is now.

Hey Steve,

I supply all parts to OPC which saves you good money and they have been happy to use. I also do what i can do myself easily and quickly (as said the filters are a 15min job to do both and I also do any of the out of ordinary items like replacing the clutch switch (not pleasant when the better half calls saying the car won’t start and is telling her to depress the clutch...)

Another item worth considering getting done is the serpentine belt if it hasn’t been done, I think it’s recommended to be done every 4 years

42 minutes ago, JB said:

Check the rubber drain plugs in the bulkhead. Apparently should be done but never are......

Have always had dealer services, they have never cleared my drain plugs. I did it myself not long ago luckily I did because they were full of water after washing.

Also just checked my last PCM bill $263.50 for M1 0W40 - although I doubt they will let me supply my own because of the capped price $695 service. 

49 minutes ago, JB said:

Check the rubber drain plugs in the bulkhead. Apparently should be done but never are......

Good tip JB...I have seen this first hand and given it is such a quick and easy job it’s hard to understand why it’s not done. In saying that I check mine every wash and I’m betting yours are spotless!

On 2/20/2018 at 2:31 PM, Stephen Tinker said:

Whats your GT3's favorite tipple of oil?

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 - I've used for many years, mainly because Shell has been supporting motorsport for as long as I've been going to race meetings around the world. Castrol has also been a huge sponsor and have good oils too.

I worked for Esso Australia (Exxon) for over a decade in the late 1980's / 1990's when every car manufacturer and his dog was jumping on the turbo bandwagon. The extra heat and pressure of turbocharging put almost all the then current engine lubricants under severe stress with molecular breakdown and carbon  / sludge buildup being high on the list of problems.

Esso was testing the worlds then top oils in the Sydney labs using SAAB donkey engines (they had the most reliable low pressure turbo's at the time) on adjustable dyno brakes for days at a time and analysing the results of the oils. This is where Mobil came up with their world leading lubricants (Mobil 1) which - for a time - was head and shoulders above anything else on the market. Shell lubricants were very close behind, especially their "stay in grade" oils. Other oil suppliers spent quite some time playing catch up especially when using (misleadingly) the words "full synthetic" in their advertising....

Unfortunately, the Mobil 1 lubricant quality was diluted somewhat in the early 2000's and were also being caught up by other manufacturers products. What Mobil did to their formula's I don't know as I had left the industry by then. 

Archived