Check Your P

@OZ930 thanks for sharing your story. It’s a big leap to put yourself out there like this.  

I thInk it’s important to share the gory details no matter how embarrassing they may be.  You’ve given us an intimate look at the reality of a very common illness and it’s this honesty that has made me take notice. 

Well done.  

Ps. Find a local kid who wants to earn some pocket money to cut your firewood while you concentrate on a speedy recovery. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Ok, it's been another 3 months and the periodic PSA test has come back as zero again, so good result so far.

Just another note on incontinence.  There are basically 3 events where leakage can occur.  Not everyone has these issues.  Could be lucky and not have these issues or have one or two, or have the lot.

First is your everyday type where physical movement or strain can cause leakage, such as bending, lifting, twisting.

Second is arousal incontinence.  Pretty much as the name implies

Third is at climax.  

These can be distressing and can be depressing, trust me.  Seek out support groups or blokes that have or are going through the same thing.  There are plenty out there, you just don't know it.  Would you know PFA existed if you didn't have an interest in Porsches ?

Good news is that the Kegal exercises can help, so keep doing them, and do them properly, even if the results aren't happening as quick as you would like.  Everyone is different with different rates of recovery, so don't overdo the exercises because it won't decrease the recovery time, in fact, it will increase it because muscles get tired and too much can cause strain and then you will need to allow them to recover before progressing.  Weight lifters don't go straight up to 400kg !

"Patience Grasshopper" is the key.

I should also mention that arousal doesn't seem to happen when you want, initially.  The operation seems to have cut the cable to the brain.  Just waiting for the technicians (nerves) to make repairs.  Climax will feel different and be dry because the semenal ducts and associated nerves are cut during the prostatectomy. 

BTW, climax can happen without erection.

Unfortunately,  if the exercises don't give the results you want then surgical and/or mechanical aids may be your answer.  I am not going into these because there is plenty of info on the net/web.  At this stage I don't need or want them.  My physio says that I should be dry by March 2019, all going well.

This is probably more unpleasant information than you wanted to hear but it's a reality I never wanted to experience either and I knew nothing about any of this beforehand.  With an 85% increase in detection of this type of cancer in 45 to 65 age group in recent times, I think it's worth the embarrasment to get the message out.

Please PM me if you want to chat.

All the best

thanks for putting it out there

That's actually very confronting Brian and i think very brave all at the same time. I hope you are feeling better mate and good news for you with the zero test.

Friends of ours are going through this now, for a long time one of these guys has had trouble going to the toilet, over 10yrs actually, and is now in the biggest fight of his life.

You just cannot ignore this stuff and hope it goes away, get it checked. 

3 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

@OZ930 thanks for sharing your story. It’s a big leap to put yourself out there like this.  

I thInk it’s important to share the gory details no matter how embarrassing they may be.  You’ve given us an intimate look at the reality of a very common illness and it’s this honesty that has made me take notice. 

Well done.  

Ps. Find a local kid who wants to earn some pocket money to cut your firewood while you concentrate on a speedy recovery. 

Thankyou Harvs for the kind words.  

I did forget that the whole point of the exercises is to become "dry" by training the muscles and brain to automatically react as needed and re-educate the bladder to hold longer, hence, maintain a normal volume, without straining to do so.  Pre- prostatectomy bladder habits, like frequent visits to the toilet have introduced poor habits, possible thickening of the bladder walls and decreased volume, resulting in greater frequency and urgency.  It's a vicious circle.

At some stage of your recovery you will be asked to keep a record of fluids in and out, usually only 2 or 3 days, then later a record of pad weights to monitor leakage and activity during those days.  A small set of kitchen scales that read to a gram work well for this purpose.  If the Mrs won't let you use hers, they are relatively cheap.  Most modern electronic scales read in grams and milliltres etc, which is handy because 1g = 1ml.  It's not as tedious as it sounds.

Also take note of when leakage occurs so that exercises can be tailored to "your" normal movement and activities.  Mine are things like reaching across to open the glove box, standing from a lounge chair or just sitting and leaning forward ( or if you really unlucky, getting out of a Metro flight deck)  Anything that puts squeazing pressure on the bladder.  

Also, avoid or cut down on your caffeine intake.  It irritates the bladder. 

So far, PSA is zero, frequency has decreased and volume increased. Still some leakage but from where I started it's fantastic.

PS: I cut enough wood to fill 3 trailer loads......hernia op tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, Hunter Porsche said:

That's actually very confronting Brian and i think very brave all at the same time. I hope you are feeling better mate and good news for you with the zero test.

Friends of ours are going through this now, for a long time one of these guys has had trouble going to the toilet, over 10yrs actually, and is now in the biggest fight of his life.

You just cannot ignore this stuff and hope it goes away, get it checked. 

Thankfully I am over the worst of it.  Hopefully your friends will have a good outcome too.

And that's the point...Don't be a bloke, go get a poke ! ( I just thought of that.. )

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

Caffeine for those without bladder/heart/anxiety/sleep issues is fine. Sleep well!

https://www.health.com/alzheimers/coffee-alzheimers-parkinsons

Oh, that’s so cruel.   Drinking Starbucks coffee could help improve memory.  I’d rather take my chances with memory loss and forget that once only experience. ?

2 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Caffeine for those without bladder/heart/anxiety/sleep issues is fine. Sleep well!

https://www.health.com/alzheimers/coffee-alzheimers-parkinsons

Sorry, don't believe it.

Mum drank percolated coffee all her life, 2 or 3 cups a day and died in April of complications from alzheimers.

It's been a year to forget.

Everyone has a personal  anecdote that disproves the statistics. Like the  Porsche IMS failing. 
The bottom line is , the more these things are investigated , the better the understanding of prevention and management gets.
That is why we go around raising money for research and help.
The human body is horrendously complex and unpredictable & it's easy to get disillusioned by apparent lack of progress. But any progress is better than none. 
It takes 10 positives to overcome a negative. Seek as many positives as possible , every day. Our days are limited.

2 hours ago, Harvs11 said:

Oh, that’s so cruel.   Drinking Starbucks coffee could help improve memory.  I’d rather take my chances with memory loss and forget that once only experience. ?

Starbucks isn't what I would define as "coffee". Personally I'd rather drink bilge water. At least I don't have to pay for it.

Thanks Brian,  your descriptions and explanations of your journey are very enlightening to someone who has no idea.

My brother has just had his prostate removed a couple of weeks ago, he hated going to the doctors and really pushed his luck.

He is still not out of the woods.

Anyway, I'm not making it about him, but your explanations have made it much clearer to me, to what he is going through post op with his leakages etc.

He won't have visitors at this stage because of his uncrontollable embarrassing leakages.

Thanks again for sharing this important message for us blokes who think "it will never happen to me".

Good luck with the future PSA tests, fingers crossed they stay zero.

3 hours ago, Niko said:

Thanks Brian,  your descriptions and explanations of your journey are very enlightening to someone who has no idea.

My brother has just had his prostate removed a couple of weeks ago, he hated going to the doctors and really pushed his luck.

He is still not out of the woods.

Anyway, I'm not making it about him, but your explanations have made it much clearer to me, to what he is going through post op with his leakages etc.

He won't have visitors at this stage because of his uncrontollable embarrassing leakages.

Thanks again for sharing this important message for us blokes who think "it will never happen to me".

Good luck with the future PSA tests, fingers crossed they stay zero.

Hi Niko,

the initial leakage can be quite distressing but will improve as the sphinter recovers from having the catheter in place.  I was going through 3 to 4 pairs of incontinence pants per day initially but reduced to 2 pair within 4 weeks.  It's nothing to be embarrassed about, it is just part of the process.  As things improve he will progress onto pads, then back to dry.

Pants and pads are cheapest from Chemist Warehouse.  Order on line (free delivery for orders over $50 ATM,) or shop in person ( buy 4 get one free).

As I have said before, seek out a continence physiotherapist.  They are worth gold, but don't tell them that because they will charge more?

If your brother wants a chat, I am only too happy to talk to him.

PS: just in recovery following hernia op, all is going well.

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate that, I will pass that info on to my brother Glenn, including your kind offer.

One good thing that has come out of it, is that we have been estranged for about 10 years, and at least we are now talking again...

Both stubborn bastards.

Glad to hear the hernia op went well, and your not in there for too long.

6 minutes ago, Niko said:

Thanks Brian, I really appreciate that, I will pass that info on to my brother Glenn, including your kind offer.

One good thing that has come out of it, is that we have been estranged for about 10 years, and at least we are now talking again...

Both stubborn bastards.

Glad to hear the hernia op went well, and your not in there for too long.

Gorgeous nurse here, so may be sicker than I thought ?

On 08/11/2018 at 15:07, tazzieman said:

During such moments , place pressure on the offending part , as per physio's instructions!

Have been doing this with some success, but sneezing is a whole different experience.

Initial report from the surgeon is that the hernia was an incision hernia, 3 holes, a result of the prostatectomy where they inserted the camera.  Surrounding tissue all strong and stitched up, no gauze.

It has now been 12 months since the North meets South SMT and the beginning of this journey.

Some added benefits  ( recycling, alternate uses, being a tight arse) include:

non slip slipper socks, compact and washable,

TED socks ( Thrombo Embolic Deterrent- help prevent blood clots forming in the legs) except there is a hole for your big toe to stick out. Wear the slippers and all is good.

Leggings.  These wrap around your legs and air is pumped in a sequencial cycle to help circulation in the lower leg muscles after the op., again to prevent clots.  Unbelievably they are single use and get thrown out. .Haven't found a use yet, but maybe I can use them to protect my legs when using a whipper snipper. 

oxygen tubing which can be used for windscreen washers or model engine fuel tubing, 

collostomy bags can be used for self bleeding of brakes/clutch, long tube and hanging hole are handy. The bag holds 2 litres, doesn't leak and has a handy drain tap.  A used one can be washed out / dissinfected with white vinegar. 50 to 100 ml for about 5 minutes. A funnel kit is available for this purpose but any small funnel will work fine. 

? cheers

Archived